Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post subject: Scam Attempt
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 pm 

Had a phone call today, supposedly from TalkTalk, who is my ISP. They said that they'd picked up some faults on my internet over the past few days.

I wasn't too suspicious at that point as it can be a bit iffy. I've had to restart the router a couple of times recently to get a connection back.

They then asked me to go to fastsupport.com and they would fix the problem. That's when I made my excuses and hung up.

Just be careful out there. :o

Post subject: Re: Scam Attempt
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 pm 

Oh they ring from BT and others all the time. It is an old one. I used to call them criminals and to f off. Now I just pick up and say nothing. Autodialers cut off and a foreign call centre gets cut off without a word.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 am 

The trouble is - actually ANSWERING the phone at all (even if you say nothing) alerts the auto-dialling call-centre computer that the line is working, with a phone connected and being picked up. You are likely to have your number verified as "still live" and their database is more likely to call you again in future.

Unfortunately, this means the best tactic is to NOT even pickup, and not even have any answering machine/service (including 1571) answer it to screen it for you. Not very convenient.

It is a problem, and the TPS doesn't help either (whether the caller is foreign or not). I see recently that the callers now tend to have random (often London) numbers shown on CallerID - hence trying to look legitimate.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 am 

I do agree about the answering (either me or the machine) registers as active but mostly it doesn't go through to a scammer and just cuts off. TPS is indeed rubbish and being ex-directory is no help, even from the local idiots. It is easier on my iPhone. If the call isn't a number in my contact list then they have no business calling, as I certainly never gave the number to anyone but my legitimate contacts. Just before I block them, I check with a search and it is usually a known pest. If VM gave caller ID for free I'd use that and get a call blocker gadget.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 pm 

mooblie wrote:
The trouble is - actually ANSWERING the phone at all (even if you say nothing) alerts the auto-dialling call-centre computer that the line is working, with a phone connected and being picked up. You are likely to have your number verified as "still live" and their database is more likely to call you again in future.

That hasn't happened in my experience, I'm guessing I get flagged as 'too much trouble'!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm 

It's a huge problem. I haven't had a land line for some time and I've blocked 500 numbers on my iPhone over the years. I still have to block 3 or so a month. I don't pick up if I don't recognise the number or the number is withheld. If someone wants me they can leave a voicemail.

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 pm 

For those of you on BT for your landline, just enable their Call Protect option on your account. It’s free and checks against their database of known scam callers and call centre cold callers to block calls. I used to get 2 or 3 scam/sales calls every day before signing up to Call Protect, now it’s maybe 1 or 2 a month if that. Plus, you can also add calls that do get through to your own blacklist by dialing 1572 after the call is hung up.

Just sign into your BT account using your BT ID and enable it.

* Witty statement goes here *

Last edited by MacOS10 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm 

Cool - thanks MacOS10! I'm on Plusnet for my landline, but on just checking, they offer that Call Protect service too:

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/plu ... ll-protect

I'll try it now, and see how it performs.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 pm 

Quote:

A few problems with that. 1, I get virtually no nuisance calls, 2, So most calls are genuine, 3, The nuisance callers never call back. Not with the same number, anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:51 pm 

mooblie wrote:
I'm on Plusnet for my landline, but on just checking, they offer that Call Protect service too

Ah, useful to know, as they’re part of BT now it makes sense that they’d adopt that system and rebrand it as their own. I’m with PlusNet for my broadband so might consider switching my landline to them as well to save money.

Do let me know how you get on with it.

* Witty statement goes here *

Board index » General