Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 pm 

Just lately, my dad has expressed an interest in mapping out his family tree, and asked me how he'd go about doing it. Cue big question mark above my head! So, off I went to do a bit of research...

I had a look on the ancestry.co.uk website, but was a bit surprised at the cost of it - I think the cheapest option was about £12 a month on a rolling direct debit. As this could take a while, I don't think he'd want to spend a lot on this little project.

So, then I looked into genealogy software. Now, both myself and my dad are using pretty old Macs - his is an old G4 Mac mini (PowerPC 1.25HGz, with 1Gb RAM) and mine is an old G4 Powerbook (PowerPC 1.5GHz, with 1.5Gb RAM). Both are running Leopard 10.5.8. Although I do have access to a new iMac at work, so could use that for this purpose if the software is right for the task.

I found one called MacFamily Tree v6, which is on Amazon at a fairly reasonable £27:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synium-42601491 ... 506&sr=1-1

Although the blurb on Amazon's site just says it needs a Mac running 10.5 or later, I did find an eBay listing that showed a snapshot of the DVD back and it says "PowerPC and Intel Macs are supported". So, that sounds promising.

Before I buy it, though, does anyone here know of any others - either Mac software or websites - that they can recommend. I should say that my dad's not on the internet, so I'm probably going to be doing all the donkey work anyway. Which is not really a problem, as it does kind of interest me as well.

The MacFamily Tree software did have a handy feature that allows you to install the software on another Mac and sync both libraries together over a wireless/bluetooth network, so I could update his copy whenever I return home with my Powerbook (I now live 100 miles away, you see, and only visit maybe once a month!).

Anyway, if anyone's interested in this type of stuff, please give me some pointers.
Thanks, as always.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:15 pm 

I use the PAYG on Ancestry, saves paying too much.

iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i5 24Gb ram
10.13.1
iPhone 6+ 16Gb SpaceGrey
BT HomeHub 6
BT-Infinity 74MBdown 18MBup.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:31 pm 

Ah, right, I didn't see that option - I just saw that to get your "free 14-day trial" you have to give them your credit card details to sign up for the £12 a month package, I think. That's when I thought, "No bleedin way" - or words to that effect.

So, after that 14 days, do they lock your account so you can't view it unless you cough up again?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm 

As far as i can remember its free to sign up but you have to pay to see any documents,

No you can still get to your account.

Also i have sent you a PM.

iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i5 24Gb ram
10.13.1
iPhone 6+ 16Gb SpaceGrey
BT HomeHub 6
BT-Infinity 74MBdown 18MBup.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:44 pm 

I have used the demo version of Reunion and the iPhone App.

I found it had a small learning curve and syncing with my iPhone was good.

I only tried out the software to see if I was interested in the subject, but never really put much effort into it.

It needs OSX 10.5 and so will run on a Power PC version of a Mac.

It is not cheap either ($99 US), but the charts it produces are very good.

Last edited by Hugh on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 pm 

@defcom:
Yep, that seems to be how it works - they allow you to create an account, start the family tree and give you one person's document to look at - after that you have to sign up for the "free" trial, even though to do that you have to give them your credit card details and they start taking monthly payments if you don't let them know otherwise. But I didn't see the PAYG option, so could look into that first. Thanks for that

@hugh:
Cheers, that give me another option to check out.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:30 pm 

Steve, I don't know if this site may be any help. I know very little about the Mormons except that something in their religion states that they have got to attempt to record every persons family history. I have a friend who found out quite a bit from their records and it's not just for the US. Might be worth a look and it's free.

http://www.searchforancestors.com/mormongenealogy.html

White MacBook late 2007 - Snow Leopard iPhone 5 IPod Touch 2 Gen. iPad 3
Nikon D5600 on Flickr

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 pm 

Any sources are helpful at this stage - will have a look when I get the time, thanks!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am 

These 2 links might help you from the software side of things.
http://genealogy-software-review.topten ... -software/
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&output=s ... 20&bih=526
My friend has been researching one side of his family for over 10 years now and you will find that is a lot of leg work involved.
Although you can find things online and by going to the National Archive at Kew you will need to visit various parish records as well to find out connections and details for family members.
There are a number of magazines on the market that are for family tree buffs and I recently bought one called Discover Your Ancestors which is aimed at people like yourself who are setting out on the family tree trail. HTH.

Zopo ZP998 Mobile
Acer A1 8" Tablet
U2 iPod
G3 iMac

http://www.westonphotographics.co.uk
http://yvonnemarrs.wordpress.com (Wife's book site)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 am 

I previously used MacFamilyTree for a year or so, but then discovered the "iFamily for Leopard" software and have used it for years (I believe they are updating their website at the moment). It runs on Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion and I used it previously to those systems.
They have a free download that can be messed about with plus the Royal Family tree. I have forgotten the price, but it must have been reasonable. I definately recommend it!

Genes Reunited on the web costs around £7/8. This can be useful when other people see your tree and make contact.

B and D Certificates will also be needed as you get more into genealogy and this is the site to go to http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ other sites are much dearer.
This site is also handy - I have never paid for it - https://familysearch.org/

nb. iFamily is £18.95 www.ifamilyforleopard.com/

Poor spellers of the world untie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm 

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ is a great resource for narrowing down a search and often means that if you do go the PAYG route on something like ancestry you have a better chance of buying a record that is the one that you actually need! Ancestry also publish their own Family Tree Maker software which syncs with your account, as does the iPhone / iPad app of the same name.

If you start getting quite involved then paying for an annual membership to ancestry does work out pretty good value if you're building a whole tree complete with records. To build a tree without them but using key dates something like Free BMD will give you most of the info you need.

Mac mini Late 2012 | MacBook Air 13" Mid 2011 | iPhone 5S | iPad Mini Retina | iPod Classic 160GB

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am 

@Mac0s10: Well?? Were those any help?

Poor spellers of the world untie

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 pm 

I've been using Reunion for quite a few years, and it is very good, the charts you can create are great, for instance, if you have about 100 entries it will create a chart on 8 A4
pages, well it did for me, but by dragging the boxes around I got them all on 3 A4 pages.

Another site you must go to, which is a forum and very helpful, all nice people,

www.Rootschat.com

ged82

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm 

I've used Reunion for a long time as well. I don't find it 'Apple-easy' to use, but it is very professional and extremely powerful, plus the forums are a great source of support. I don't tend to use ancestry.com, with the surname Smith, it becomes VERY expensive as it doesn't always tell you what it is charging for...

In the past I preferred going to the records office itself, where you have much more freedom, and it feels like real detective work!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm 

The lastest MacLegion Bundle has FamilyTree in it.

Board index » General