Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:28 pm 

dennispc wrote:
Quote:
The correct format is issued by Dropbox only for images inside your Dropbox/Public/ folder.

And that is accessed from where?

The Missing Manual may say, 'And inside your Public Folder is another cool little folder: the Drop Box ...' (p 525) but my Public Folder is empty.

I'm afraid you are a victim of some quite appalling product naming. So here goes with an explanation.

The 'Drop Box' (note the capitals) the Missing Manual is talking about is a folder supplied by Apple meant for sharing files on a local network, NOT the Internet.

'Dropbox' (again, note the capitals) is the one that everyone is talking about here. It is a company and a product that you have to sign up for and install on your Mac to get its features.

[politics]
It's a very popular and powerful product that many people still use, despite the fact that they just hired Condoleezza Rice who was implicated in the mis-information about the Iraq war, has been accused of lying about her part in condoning torture, and has an anti-privacy stance.
[/politics]

There are many other services that provide similar features to Dropbox, although none quite so well. Especially in the context of posting inline images. Apple will be launching a similar service soon, although little is known of its capabilities.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm 

Photobucket is my choice of hosting my photos/screenshots for forums.
And I really like the interface/layout; I find it really simple and clear. It has changed since I first starting using it; it's a piece-of-cake now.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

I put images on a choice of a couple of servers, sometimes the one where the forum is hosted, sometimes where I host other websites :-)

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 16GB RAM SSD/HDD Combo
Mac mini (Plex Server) ~ iPhone X ~ Livescribe 3
Apple TV 4 (64GB)

About.me/jcturner

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:56 pm 

I think I've gone on about Dropbox far too much already, I only mentioned it in my initial post because it's so easy if you have a Public folder inside your Dropbox folder, but it's not so easy for everybody it seems.

For the sake of clarity and to avoid rampant confusion, the Public folder we're talking about here is that within the Dropbox folder, it has nothing to do with the Public folder inside the Users folder - or the "Drop Box" folder within that! They are entirely different animals.

Dropbox (The sharing outfit) have undergone a number of functional changes in the recent past, if you registered a new account after the 4th October 2012 they now prevent you having a public folder. It is still possible to add a public folder (which is necessary to give you public links) in later accounts - but those folk will have to be pro or business users it seems. Dennis and I tried to add one to his Dropbox this afternoon, but it didn't permit public links.

Here is the spiel about it from DB: https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en
Dropbox wrote:
Because of this new sharing model, new Dropbox accounts created after October 4, 2012 no longer have a Public folder. Don't worry! Every account created prior to this date will still have a Public folder. If you'd like to enable a Public folder on a new account, see the instructions below (Creating a Public folder) to learn more.

:evil: DB have moved the goalposts.
:) There are plenty of other options for you to host images.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 am 

First, thanks Anndra for the neat explanation. If you’ve seen Leewave’s latest post you’ll know we discovered the same yesterday afternoon. He was puzzled that, despite both of us running exactly the same Dropbox programme 2.8.2, his screen was different to mine. Now we know the answer.

My thanks once again to Leewave for giving the time.

For me sharing an image is needed only for this forum so whether I’ll bother with any of them I’ll wait and see. I’d taken a screen shot of an error message from mouse preferences saying ‘no mouse connected’, despite the fact I'd used it to get the message. Hey Ho, I can live with that. :D

IMac 21.5 May 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHx DDR3 Sierra 10.12.6, Snow Lepard 10.6.8.
iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post subject: Re: Welcome!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:01 am 

Mrs H wrote:
Leewave wrote:
This forum does not host any images, unlike XYM...

Which does?
As you well know, I have to date no exterior accounts for pix, such as flickr or drop...
On XYM when I've attached a photo it always shows up only as a thumbnail as opposed to those gorgeous photos that others post from their exterior links...

"As I well know"? Do I? I'm not sure that I do!

What do you mean, "Which does?"?
Do you mean which forum does host images? Well XYM does, doesn't it? That's what most people do there, you upload an image and then it is presented as a illegible thumbnail which you then have to click on to then see the actual image. If instead you have an image hosted elsewhere you can just provide a link to it and put image tags round it as I do - that means the image is shown directly, thumbnails are banished.

This forum doesn't allow you to upload images, which I think is mainly for bandwidth reasons - and cost overheads. But the advantage is you get lovely big clear pictures directly in the post, not little tiny thumbnails.

If you want to show images here you need to use an image hosting site. Personally I use my Dropbox account, I can host images and movies on it very easily. Previously for a while I had used Sugarsync - until they started charging. Before that, I used a Skitch account - until they were taken over by Evernote and they messed it all up. I still use the Skitch application for editing images, and that is brilliant.

Here's another pic:

Last edited by Leewave on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 am 

Flickr, Photobucket, CloudApp are another three you could use.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 am 

Leewave wrote:
If you want to show images here you need to use an image hosting site. Personally I use my Dropbox account

Me too. (I've yet to use even half of my 3.2GB allowance - which is all personal documents, WP, spreadsheets, text, database, Journler entries etc; small pictures; and my Safari bookmarks & history, contacts, Stickies database etc ... so I've plenty of room left in the Public folder for pictures for this site :) )

bigbluewolf wrote:
... Photobucket ... ... another .. you could use.

Aaargh. Makes sign of the cross, wields large bunches of garlic, walks widdershins around any cemetery or black cat he can find... Mrs H, if you never used Photobucket before, try ANY and ALL alternatives before even thinking of going there!

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:51 am 

Dropbox works really well for this if you have a Public folder. Unfortunately now you have to pay for one in new DB accounts. Mine is still free since I joined Dropbox before October 2012. And you know what a cheapskate I am :D

The advantages for me of using the Dropbox Public folder for images are, a) It's free, and b) I can modify an image if I choose just by replacing it and ensuring the name is identical. I don't have to edit my post to update the link. It also doesn't take up much space. Skitch produces very acceptable quality JPEG images of very small data size. My images folder - inside my Dropbox Public folder, is now at 1065 images and the total size of the folder is about 64 MB - which is less than 2% of my DB allowance.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:08 am 

MacBiter wrote:
Aaargh. Makes sign of the cross, wields large bunches of garlic, walks widdershins around any cemetery or black cat he can find... Mrs H, if you never used Photobucket before, try ANY and ALL alternatives before even thinking of going there!

I only use Photobucket for 'crap' - for want of a better word. It's interface is horrible but it does a job.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:21 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Dropbox works really well for this if you have a Public folder. Unfortunately now you have to pay for one in new DB accounts. Mine is still free since I joined Dropbox before October 2012. And you know what a cheapskate I am :D

The advantages for me of using the Dropbox Public folder for images are, a) It's free, and b) I can modify an image if I choose just by replacing it and ensuring the name is identical. I don't have to edit my post to update the link. It also doesn't take up much space. Skitch produces very acceptable quality JPEG images of very small data size. My images folder - inside my Dropbox Public folder, is now at 1065 images and the total size of the folder is about 64 MB - which is less than 2% of my DB allowance.

Hear hear. I too have a free Public folder. The new paradigm I believe is 'Share'? Which is all very fine, but files sit in the DB folder of both sender and recipient wasting valuable space. I suppose the drones at DB decided that files that could be accessed and downloaded by people who don't have accounts, was not great business sense for them if said people didn't end up signing up to DB.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:20 pm 

Dave,

About the Dropbox/image hosting site kind of thing. I thought when we chatted about copy.com and the like I said I had never used any kind of storage like that and hadn’t a clue how to. I did sign on and I will try it, especially to upload photos on the next Japan trip. I’m thinking to add that as my 5th line of defense - 2 HD backups on external JOBO photo portable hard drives, one copy onto the newtous MBP, a copy onto a 64GB flash drive and a 5th uploaded to the sky. Now the last 2 steps are something I've not done before, and I've been satisfied with 3 HD backups - so we'll see. Mostly it's a question of how long all that will take nightly.

I am testing here now a photo of ours (mine actually) not from an image hosting site but from an India forum on which we post a lot of snaps - not the photos we consider the best of the best (that would be the best of the 14,000 per trip) but photos of sites and difficult to recognize monuments for a puzzler of a thread - "Where was this photo taken?" OK so it's not the best way to waste one's time, but it keeps the brain alive...

Sounds like Dropbox is costly, and Photobucket is a non-starter. So, if we haven’t already posted the photo I want to share here on our India site, it’s not going to happen, but for a start, I'm testing this out.

How does this photo arrive here and appear - photo qua photo?

Sometimes I feel like a goat in a coat, when I speak or write without thinking things through:

Klaus1 wrote:
Mrs H is here??
Is there no escape? :shock:
Just joking - Welcome Mrs H !
Klaus

Thanks Klaus for the greeting.
It's been ages, hasn't it??!!

Now I know where to find you to wish Lily a happy birthday next year!

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:55 pm 

Image shows fine.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 pm 

What, only Lily? ;)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:57 pm 

Klaus1 wrote:
What, only Lily? ;)

OK - all three then!
But Lily has a special place in my heart: I remember all my "yet?" "yet?" questions over the Apple forum when her mother was in labour.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General