Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:01 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Image shows fine.

Thanks for the info BDA.

A peculiar thing is when I tried the same thing with a photo I posted on XYM - where my photos look like tiny thumbnails since I don't/can't link to an external host site - bringing it over here didn't work.

I took the thumbnail, clicked on it on XYM to make it larger, copied the url - put it into Img - I got the message that it was too big, and I was given the pixel size allowed. But it's tiny! really tiny - even when made bigger on XYM. I can bring a thumbnail over here, but it stays as a thumbnail and can't be made bigger by clicking I don't think - I didn't try that in preview, I just gave up.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:36 am 

http://x704.net/bbs/download/file.php?id=1217&mode=view

This site reports...

Your images may only be up to 1030 pixels wide.

That one is pixels wide.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:39 am 

BDAqua wrote:
http://x704.net/bbs/download/file.php?id=1217&mode=view

This site reports...

Your images may only be up to 1030 pixels wide.

That one is pixels wide.

The link only worked when I was logged in to XYM because the photos are only available to members, I'm sure. And that's the only way I can share those Japan photos with folks here.
You are right, foiled by 1 pxl
Info on the full size photo from the thumbnail of Tofukuji: dimensions of 1,547px × 1,031px (scaled to 714px × 476px
And you are right, BDA, that's the one I tested.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Last edited by Mrs H on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:03 am 

Regarding posting images: perhaps this would be better in either the General or the Technical section as a separate topic. :) Or Couch. ;) There is already a long discussion about this (which was never intended to be a long discussion after it was "stickyfied", but it seemed to expand anyway) - see the general thread sticky about posting images that I made a long time ago. Making a thread a "sticky" can only be done by an administrator, it makes it a special thread which stays at the top of the list despite how long it's been dormant. Normal topics go up and down according to last post date and popularity.

PS: You were 427 pixels over the max width, size limitation on this forum is in width. And 1030 for an image size here is too big anyway! IMHO, of course. Digression time: the layout of this forum includes large white areas left and right. If those were removed or reduced there would be more room for bigger pictures, but then for general use the forum would be harder to read and wouldn't look as nice!

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:17 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Regarding posting images: perhaps this would be better in either the General or the Technical section as a separate topic. :) Or Couch. ;) There is already a long discussion about this ...

Uh-oh, done it again, shameonme.
For a forum with few rules, I've certainly managed to upset folks by not adhering to the known code of behaviour and getting others sucked in to a discussion that's not where it belongs.

Could one of the administrators or moderators please, move the :off: discussion on photos to where it belongs (if it meets with the approval of the other writers that is).

Starting on the previous page with the second posting where you, Dave, helped me understand what font was used for the "W E L C O M E" from MacBiter things have gotten off track. You posted your photo, I asked questions about photos, folks discussed Photobucket and other things went awry. I'm perfectly happy to just delete my posts, but that would still leave the others here.

There are some nice welcomes here though and for that I am thankful and grateful.
Thank you everyone for being so kind to welcome me to the site and again apologies for doing things incorrectly.

Just for future reference, does my photo look OK to those of you here? (oops - here I go :off: again)

See, just as I said above with the photo, I feel like a goat in a coat for speaking or writing without thinking first.
Yet again mea culpa ...

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:44 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
I’m thinking to add that as my 5th line of defense - 2 HD backups on external JOBO photo portable hard drives, one copy onto the newtous MBP, a copy onto a 64GB flash drive and a 5th uploaded to the sky. Now the last 2 steps are something I've not done before, and I've been satisfied with 3 HD backups - so we'll see. Mostly it's a question of how long all that will take nightly.

A 'sky' backup is useful - external drives are all good, but if you had a disaster at home you could lose all your data; if your essential stuff is in the 'cloud', it's safe from that.

Mrs H wrote:
I am testing here now a photo of ours (mine actually) not from an image hosting site but from an India forum on which we post a lot of snaps

I see it fine - nice goat :D I wonder if she's the one who provides my milk?

Mrs H wrote:
Sounds like Dropbox is costly

No no - you can have a free account, but you only get 2GB to start with (expandable if you recommend DB to friends who then sign up). It's ideal for text files, spreadsheets, databases, small pictures, Safari bookmarks, Contacts, stickies or other notes - that kind of thing. Not the ideal arrangement for music, photographs or videos though.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:46 pm 

Thanks so much, James, for separating out the image posting/photo discussion from the welcome thread and bringing it here where it belongs.

MacBiter wrote:

A 'sky' backup is useful - external drives are all good, but if you had a disaster at home you could lose all your data...

I see it fine - nice goat :D I wonder if she's the one who provides my milk?

I keep TBs of photos on 5 externals at home - also burned on CDs from the old days, now DVDs, and - and this is the important one - copies of everything important on a small HD which lives in our safe deposit box.

It was a nice goat - glad you like it.
It was photo'ed in Old Delhi, amongst the iron mongers located behind the Jama Masjid - I hope you aren't drinking its milk!

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
It was a nice goat - glad you like it.
It was photo'ed in Old Delhi, amongst the iron mongers located behind the Jama Masjid - I hope you aren't drinking its milk!

Of course not - only British goats' milk for me!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 pm 

Hey Mrs H! I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you in the least I just wanted to put out a couple of things but as ever I'm always feeling that I say more than I should but on the other hand if I don't say anything I will be forever quiet! And who would want that? Ha ha

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:43 am 

Leewave wrote:
Hey Mrs H! I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you in the least...

Honestly, you didn't upset me - I upset myself.
I should have known better than to talk about one subject on another thread. (I've not been on the Apple forum for a bazillion years, but I know the basic internet rules - even if the rules don't apply here, logic dictates that you want to keep things right.)

I got upset when James moved this stuff here as I requested him to do and he brought along two of the kind welcomes. I tried to put them back where they belonged in my clumsy fashion - things need to be right, and when they aren't - well then, you work to fix them.

Not to worry, you have done nothing to upset me.
I would put a smilie here, but I think they all look weird.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 am 

:tu: :)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:54 pm 

Regarding posting images in the forum again. There are of course still many options for doing this using various image hosting sites. My preferred way is still to use my Dropbox account, which has plenty of space for small images, and the images stay there as long as I retain my DB account.

Dropbox as you may know recently changed the way they do things - they no longer allow Direct Links to images via the Public folder. But you can still post images with Dropbox if you want to - and I continue to use Dropbox for my images. It now involves a small amount of editing.

You just have to change the procedure slightly. This is how I do it now.

Upload the image to your Dropbox account, but now it can be in any particular folder you like, it doesn't matter where, but wherever you put it, it has to stay there otherwise the link will be broken. Don't move it afterwards. Personally I keep mine where they always were in a dedicated folder specifically for images within my DB Public folder.

Copy the Dropbox link to it.

Here is an example image whose name is Airdropx3.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk9r8l0tjfrc2q5/Airdropx3.png?dl=0

Now the code I get includes an alphanumeric randomised sequence specific to my account and the image in question, also it's name, and a suffix ?dl=0. If you post that unchanged as a raw link, every time you click on that link it will take you to the Dropbox website to view the image, which you can test by clicking the grey link above.

Personally I would prefer it to render directly in the webpage as an embedded image, I don't want to be taken to the website to view it. It is perfectly possible to use it like that, but for the forum purpose I want a plain image on display.

To make that happen you now have to change the suffix from ?dl=0 to ?raw=1. Then you post that after adding the forum image tags, as previously.

There is a little more work involved now, but it is still perfectly doable and doesn't take long once you're familiar with it.

One thing to note is that now you can't alter the image while retaining the original name - as you could previously, and expect it still to render. It won't. You'll have to generate a completely new link every time you alter or move the image. That is a little bit of a PITA because that also means that now if you change the image in future, you'll have to go back and edit your original post too. Perhaps most people won't need to do that, but in the past I've found it a very useful feature.

Having edited the suffix you now get an embedded image like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk9r8l0tjfrc2q5/Airdropx3.png?raw=1

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 pm 

On this site you can use ?dl=1 instead of ?dl=raw. On some other sites that will cause the image to be automatically downloaded, but here it embeds it.

(No, I just get a message for both saying "Not possible to determine dimensions of image")

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 pm 

MacBiter wrote:
On this site you can use ?dl=1 instead of ?dl=raw. On some other sites that will cause the image to be automatically downloaded, but here it embeds it.

(No, I just get a message for both saying "Not possible to determine dimensions of image")

Perhaps, but if you use ?dl=1 it would normally download it - Not what do you need under normal circumstances. ?dl=0 takes you to the website, ?raw=1 should be used if you want it to be treated as a renderable item.

You quoted ?dl=raw. That is incorrect, (perhaps just a typo) - but if the forum is saying it can't determine the dimensions of the image, that means it is not finding your image on the web, which implies you've made a mistake somewhere.

Have you tried opening a new tab and then just pasting the image url in there? If it doesn't load as expected then you should troubleshoot it prior to trying to paste it into the forum.

Last edited by Leewave on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:44 pm 

There's a similar thing with OneDrive. Load the image to the Public directory. Log into the browser view and generate a share link. img tags and voila below...

If you go to the local OneDrive Public folder, a right-click offers you a share URL but pasting that, you just get It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

If that GIF isn't spinning then it must be OneDrive, not me ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General