[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Useful Tips and Tricks
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am 

On , there is a video which plays in the upper-right-hand corner of the window.

It shows how to use Spotlight, and, towards the end, how to get it to find system files. Many of us are using Find Any File for that type of search - thinking that Spotlight was incapable of it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:56 pm 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:16 pm 

Unfortunately, that video "slot" shows several videos. I'm seeing that Excel video now, also, but it was the second to come up when I was viewing.
If they rotate through, the one to which I'm referring should come up. Or not.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:58 pm 

Here's a direct link to that video:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 pm 

Nice. Thanks, Dave.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 pm 

Tip to free up storage on iOS devices

Some of you might know this already, but a useful tip for those with 8Gb or 16Gb iPhones or iPads, or just those of us running low on storage.

1. Go to Settings > General > About and make a note of the "Available" amount of data left.
2. Go to iTunes Store on your iOS device, click on the 'Films' category at the bottom.
3. Find a movie that is larger in file size than the amount of data you have left (in step 1).

**** IMPORTANT: The above step is the most important bit, to be on the safe side choose a HD release and a longer film, such as Lord of the Rings for example.****

4. Click the "Rent" button - note you're not going to actually rent the film, or be charged for it - this step is just to trigger the dialogue box below, you should see now this...

5. Wait a couple of minutes*, then click the "Settings" button in the error message.

*There's some debate whether you actually need to wait before clicking the "Settings" button, some say the longer you wait, the more it removes - up to a level of course! It doesn't remove any of your actual files or apps, only hidden files such as caches.

6. After clicking the "Settings" button, go to General > About and compare the "Available" space left now, it should have increased.

In my test, mine went from 1.6Gb available before to 3.4Gb available afterwards - an increase of 1.8Gb!!

It appears trying to rent a movie that's bigger than the space available forces the system to do a bit of housekeeping - deleting of caches, temporary files, etc. These caches will likely build up again over time, but this tip can get you out of a tight corner when you need to free up some space.

Hope this helps!

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:30 pm 

Hey, I tried the tip for freeing up space, but unfortunately I didn't get anyway near as much space that you got. I ended up with 88mb more...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:34 pm 

Just found out by accident (via my cat) that if you keep the curser pressed down on the green expand button it divides the screen in to two parts ie: split screen.
Just my two penn’orth contribution.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am 

This may be something that you all know, but it made me happy... :)

I used to use the Character Viewer a lot in Snow Leopard, and at least half that use was to insert music symbols into various forum posts.

You can imagine my horror to find in the Mavericks Character Viewer that the Miscellaneous category (where music symbols were) had been replaced by a Pictograph category .. but no musical symbols! Nor in any other category.

There is an easy way to get them back - click the gear wheel at the top and choose Customise... from the list. That shows you the Character Lists that are currently displayed (ticked) and several that aren't (unticked) of which Music Symbols is one. Just tick it!

Personally I would have thought that Apple of all people would have had Music Symbols as a default list right from the start. Those were the days, eh? ♩ ♫ ♭♮♯

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:22 pm 

One can also go to the Edit menu>Emoji&Symbols for lots of characters.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:28 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:36 pm 

The Edit menu period.
The Edit menu always has - as its last command - Emoji & Symbols.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:26 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 pm 

Emoji & Symbols here. 10.12.2

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » General