[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Useful Tips and Tricks
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:16 pm 

hmm, must be only a 'feature' in Safari as Vivaldi doesn't produce the same result here in El Capitan.

Well, there's a 'tip'

;)

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm 

Works in Vivaldi for me.

Highlight the word and choose "Look up" in the right-click menu.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 pm 

Vivaldi now deleted. Hangs every time I quit it so goodbyeeeeee!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:03 pm 

Free YouTube downloader I've only just discovered...

Change the word youtube in the URL to ssyoutube.

A commercial web page will load showing your video and its url, and inviting you to buy an app. Ignore that and look for the bit that says "But if you’re okay with slower download speed and limitations on file formats, feel free to download video in browser"

Job done.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 pm 

Want to get the "Hand" tool back in Preview, in order to move a large document around?Just press Option/Alt +Spacebar and the pointer changes to a Hand.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:54 am 

If anyone has ever lamented the lack of subtlety in the volume increase/decrease increments, I've found out a useful tip:
If you hold down Opt+Shift when also pressing the volume up / down buttons, it changes in 1/3 steps instead of whole steps.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 pm 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 pm 

Useful. Thanks, MacBiter.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:06 pm 

I'm sure you all know this.

Safari 12 has been annoying me for a while with it displaying the wrong favicon on tabs, but just for one site. Somehow, the Amazon favicon had overwritten the real one. I've been trying to cure this on and off and searches were inconclusive. I would have asked but it is a new function of 12, apparently. I have seen it mentioned as a bug.

Today I located ~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache and deleted it (with Safari closed). Bosh! The job's a good'un.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:48 pm 

iOS Safari tip...

Tapping on a link with two fingers will automatically open the link in a new tab.

No need to tap and hold to get to the option

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:23 pm 

Getting eBay images:

right clicking an image usually gives you the option to "download link" or "open image in new tab" from where you can swipe it to your desktop. However eBay, in its munificence, doesn't provide those options when you right click.

HOWEVER.. you can "Inspect Element", and in the window that opens click the Resources tab. In there, under Images, you will find the image(s) for that item which can then be swiped.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 pm 

I wanted the instructions for moving my Time Machine backup to a bigger drive, but didn't want to lose the existing one. How to add it...?

Found the info on Apple Support but needed to be able to refer to them while carrying out the rather convoluted task. I won't print instructions for a one-off if I can avoid it.

So I went this way - copy the page's url, email it to myself so it appeared on the iPad. Click on the link on the iPad and - voila! - there are the directions :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:46 pm 

I tend to start afresh on a new drive. If I ever need the old stuff I'll plug in its drive then Opt-click the TM icon to access the old backups.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:44 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » General