Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:20 pm 

I currently just use normal log-in on my Macs and stuff. I thought it might be useful to unlock my MBPr with my watch. For this, I need to be using two-factor authentication. It looks to be more fuss than it is worth, so I thought I'd see if anyone else was using it.

Would it mean that every time I wanted to log into my MBPr that I'd need to enter a code (sent to my 'phone) as well as the password? I may be misunderstanding the blurb (I have read it, honest).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:40 pm 

No loughor, I have just updated to Sierra 10.12.1 and it automatically updated me to two-factor authentication somthing I have been trying to do since El Cap. This is Apples new two factor thing and trumps (sorry about that word) it over rides Apple's two factor verification feature there's a difference. Once you have all your devices updated to two factor authentication it just works normally as your normal log in procedure. It not intrusive at all, just log in as usual. IF you use a new device to access your account you WILL have to enter the authentication code that is sent to your trusted device once. The whole idea is to give your Apple id a second layer of protection even if someone has your main Apple password it cannot access without the code sent to your trusted device. Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:59 pm 

Ah so the magic words are "new device". I shut down my laptop every day and don't want logging in to be any more faff than one password. If it is just that circumstance then I may well go for it. Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:17 pm 

Yes "new device" being the operative words. In this instance it could be the bastxxd lowlife shxt head that is trying to access your account via his/her device. Your trusted device will flash up the secure code with the location of the "new device" you will obviously not accept it . . . End of. I too shut down every night, once recognised you just power up as normal.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:04 pm 

Set it up today when updating iPhone to 10.1. Easy enough to do.

Switched on "Unlock with Apple Watch". Didn't work. Rebooted. Worked. Left iMac and came back and it didn't work, had to type in password. So far it has only worked 25% of the time. If it's like that tomorrow then I will switch it off.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:42 am 

"Unlock with Apple Watch" now turned off. Didn't work this morning and have seen a message saying "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac". Wifi router is sitting about 20cm away from iMac.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:01 am 

Right... 'Unlock with Apple Watch" is switched on again.

I have three wifi networks at home and the iMac was connected to a 5Ghz one which the Apple Watch apparently does not like or work properly with. I've chosen a 2.4Ghz network and it now seems to be working properly.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 am 

On the MacBook, I turned two-factor authorisation. it made me change my Apple ID password. I did some restarting devices. I was asked for a 6-digit code on the iPhone and iPad but logging into iCloud, it would only take my old password. Anyway, none of that came up as necessary to get the unlock thing working. Having gone through the steps, I still get "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch" when I try. The iPhone/Mac have Bluetooth on and are on the same wifi net. Still, they won't talk to each other. I've searched on this and have tried all the "fixes" that don't fix diddley-doodley-darned nothing not nohow.

I'm giving up for now before I get irritated further.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 am 

Check if your wifi network is 2.4Ghz as I mentioned in my post.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 am 

I did. I tried them on both bands (after seeing your post is what made me try ;)).

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:35 am 

How old is your Mac?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 pm 

MacBook Pro with Retina (mid 2015) on MacOS 10.12.1. iPhone 6 on iOS 10.1. Watch s2 WatchOS 3.1. It is all well within specifications. The watch, phone and Mac all swear blind that they are logged into iCloud, as is the watch, according to the Watch app. I'm curious as to why I now have two passwords for iCloud. One new on the Mac and the old that works on the other devices (iPhone/Pad and mini). I have tried restarting them all. I must be misunderstanding the password change I was forced to do to turn on the two-factor via the Mac.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 pm 

Have you signed out and back in again on all devices?

I didn't have to change my password when I set up 2FA.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm 

I was just going to post - it made me change the Mac user account password, not the iCloud one (my mistake). I was just going back over iCloud settings and they are indeed still the same and 2FA (as you neatly called it) is shown as "on".

I am not sure I have signed in/out on all the devices involved. I'll give that a go in a short while. I have visitors arriving today and I have to do prep work in between internet (curses!). It's family, but well, you know, some effort has to be made. Stupid kids ;)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:55 pm 

I turned off iCloud on the iPhone. I tried turning it back on but every time I tried entering the 2FA code, it gave a failed attempt. After several, I gave up. Checked the email/password I use, tried again and still failed.

I've removed 2FA for now. I can type a password on the Mac. I expect it was a typo in the user/password for both attempts but there's only so much messing about I can take before quitting. Mind you, it reset all the options now it wanted so that all had to be redone my way :x

I'll try again another time. For now, big thanks for suggestions.

Board index » General