Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:27 am 

If you only sync Apps from iTunes then read this article.

https://www.kirkville.com/apple-releases-itunes-12-7-removes-app-store/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 am 

As I understood it, 12.7 adds support for iOS 11 so you need to update in order to make backups with the upcoming iOS. Of course, I may well be wrong.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm 

I have about 200 apps, mainly games, that I swap on and off my four iOS devices as and when I like/need. Many of them are old and no longer on the App Store as the developer has pulled them or they have been superseded by a newer version that I don’t need/want.

Does this mean if i get a new iOS device or do a restore and have to download from iCloud I will lose the old apps?

Also updating apps on each device will destroy my bandwidth cap. I have one game, Asphalt 8, whose updates are always over 1Gb in size. That means approx 5Gb to update my devices instead of one update to my Mac and then a sync to all my devices.

Finally, this removes a big chunk of my backup routine. I do an encrypted backup to my Mac of all my devices, then a Time Machine backup. I also have an off site backup as well as iCloud. If I can’t backup to iTunes this now means my sole backup is to iCloud. This is not good.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm 

I think any old apps will be gone anyway if you update to iOS11 due to Apple insisting on apps being updated to 64bit. They won't run on iOS11.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

And as for bandwidth, Apple must assume everyone has unlimited broadband. I do so I'm lucky. Other people are not so fortunate.

And yes, each device will need to download each app.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:39 pm 

I have iTunes 12.7 and was able to backup my iPad with iOS 11, encryption and all. There is still a restore button but I'm not going to try it out unless necessary. When the iPad is connected, and selected in iTunes, there is a Files option on the left that shows apps on the thing. If you select an app then it says it will show you the documents within. Something I can't test as I don't put files on it. It just means, as you said, that app downloads is now just via the device's App Store.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:59 pm 

I'm going to buy an iPad 2017 with iOS 11 - and keep my iMac running 10.9.5 plus iTunes 10. Will the App Store still be in iTunes 10? Not that it matters much anyway, as I barely use the App Store anyway.

Presumably I can still use Dropbox between the two, and iCloud to sync Contacts, Safari Bookmarks etc?

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 pm 

On the first point, as I understand it, you need iTunes 12.7 to support anything to do with iOS 11. Someone might correct me.

On the second, I'm sure it is "yes" as Files should connect to all sorts of cloud providers. iCloud is no different.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 am 

I think thats a ridiculous move. Whilst I have quite a slim app library on my iTunes (cleared out a fortnight ago), there are still some apps (mainly games) that I play that are no longer supported by iOS11, but still run perfectly well on iOS10. I prefer to use iTunes as my central location for all media for all devices; being able to manage apps and organise them in iTunes is quite important to me.

I don't usually make too much of a fuss over Apple updates, I know that I won't be able to change them or do anything about it, but this one has ruffled my feathers a little. I can't put the update off forever, so

I guess the time is now. Not convinced it's a good idea, but happy to proven wrong!

 Apple TV 4, 32GB
 Apple TV 3
 Watch Nike Edition, 42MM
Raspberry Pi 3b/Retropie 4.1

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 am 

As mentioned in another thread, iTunes app syncing has been broken for me for over a year now so it won't really make much difference to me!

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:55 am 

Can you still sync from iTunes if you do it manually? It's just auto syncing which is broken isn't it?

This will affect probably millions of people with slow or capped broadband connections who only want to download updates once instead of multiple times. It's a bad move unless Apple are bringing out an Mac-based iOS Store like the Mac App Store.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 am 

Being able to use iTunes, with its App Store, as a "hub" for my iOS apps - and thereby being able to "distribute" these apps to my two iOS devices - is very much liked by me. I'm not looking forward to this change.
Bad move - yes. Even though I have no cap on my broadband, it doesn't appeal to me.
I "follow" many apps - meaning that I have purchased them, but not installed them. They are quite visible within iTunes; I like very much the iTunes interface for this aspect.

"Can you still sync from iTunes if you do it manually? It's just auto syncing which is broken isn't it?"
This question arises from a topic of mine.

For me, nothing is/was broken; updates simply took longer to appear in iTunes than they did on the device itself. But they appeared.
I've subsequently gotten into the habit of hitting the iOS App Store app to see and download these updates. They appear first there. That part is easy-peasy.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am 

"On the first point, as I understand it, you need iTunes 12.7 to support anything to do with iOS 11."
This is my understanding, also. This is how I read the news.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 pm 

Information from Apple about the loss of App syncing.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208075

12.7 now available in MAS update tab.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 pm 

From here:
"Before you can redownload items that you bought from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store:
Sign in to all of your devices with the same Apple ID. (If you want to redownload an item that you bought using a different Apple ID, sign in with that Apple ID.)
Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes, iOS, and macOS."

Oh, really? Is that to be taken literally?
I don't run the latest version of that - and won't be. As many of you don't, also.

Board index » General