[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - How old will refurb Mac be?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:34 pm 

I'm after a new MacBook Pro and looking at refurbs as a potential. I notice that all the models listed on the refurb store are October 2016 models. As there was a slight refresh in April 2017 does this mean that one from the refurb store will have been purchased prior to the April refresh and therefore have had a few months use before being returned and refurbished?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:47 pm 

It could be anything really. Dead on delivery, slightly damaged or maybe returned. They fix in the factory and certify it as good as a new built unit, so it has the full year warranty. You won't know why it was refurbished, just that it was cheaper than new and should be fine.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 pm 

I suppose my thinking is that if it was returned unused while still a current model it would have been through the refurb store many months ago. A model that's been obsolete since April has probably had someone's mitts all over it and the drive used to store stuff if it's only just arrived in the refurb store now.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:43 pm 

That is possible but probably faulty hardware put right. For some manufacturers it can include up to date hardware that has failed final QA and been factory fixed at that stage, or maybe sustained a small scratch.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 am 

If it's the version previous to the current one it likely was a store demo or just left over stock. If it is the current version it was likely returned for some reason that may have absolutely nothing to do with malfunctioning.

I rarely buy a new Mac. I always look at the Apple refurbished section first. If what I want isn't there, I'll wait. Currently, I'm looking for a refurbished series 2 Apple Watch, 42 mm stainless steel. I'd go with the less expensive aluminum (yes, I know that's not how it is spelled/spelt in the UK but I'm in the US) but I have significant metal sensitivities & need to stick with stainless steel.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 am 

@ MitchT,

Two years ago, I purchased my first iPad. I had it for exactly one day, before realizing that – in fact – I had no real use for such an expensive device.
It was returned to Apple. That device would have been sold by Apple as a refurbished device. Would you not consider buying it?

The reasons why Apple is in possession of devices that they sell as refurbished are many.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm 

I've got two "refurbished by Apple" machines - a 27in Mid-2011 iMac bought from Apple, which is still running Mountain Lion and a 15in Mid 2014 MBP bought from John Lewis in January. They had a whole bunch of them which they must have bought in bulk from Apple as they were described as refurbished by Apple. It came with Yosemite.

A couple of months later the battery died. Just switched off. Using power lead I was able to check battery condition which just said Replace Battery. Took it to Apple Store in Solihull where the battery was replaced without quibble. The condition sheet I was given on its return detailed what it would have cost without the warranty. Over £400 :o , considerably more than Applecare, which I now have...

I knew it wasn't the latest, but it does what I need and does it very quickly with its SSD.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Apple refurbished device.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm 

I intend to get the "new" iPad 2017 which is on sale via Apple for £369. At half the price of the same size iPad Pro that seems a bargain and better than I could do on the Refurb Store.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm 

I bought one some months ago. I was waiting for an iPad at a reasonable price.
Apple has finally offered one.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:31 am 

I bought a rerun 2006 20" iMac in 2006 and only just replaced it with the 27" iMac just before Christmas, so it was good for over 10 years with only the power supply going on it with apple charged me about £50 to fix so a bargain all round.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 am 

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 am 

Mine was brand new and you get the full warranty on them.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:09 pm 

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 pm 

"How old will refurb Mac be?"

Six months to 1 year perhaps? Probably last season's models.

Board index » General