[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - What screwdriver? (MBPr) SORTED
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm 

MacBook Pro 15" mid-2015.

My house is a little dusty. My old Windows desktops and laptops needed cleaning internally now and again, just to maintain cool running. I've had this MacBook for just over two years, so the JL guarantee is up. I ordered in an air can but hadn't considered the tool(s) I'd need to take of the bottom panel. Yes, I know, sometimes the obvious catches me out :roll:

What specification Torx doohickey do I need to remove the ten screws? Smaller than ones I have. I've searched and not found a definitive answer as they are generic MacBook replies. The screws all look the same size but some sites say I'd need two different ones, which seems wrong. If nobody knows, I'll ask a member of staff in Maplin rather than trust searching Amazon.

Thanks.

--edit-- Thread title changed.

Last edited by loughor on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:25 pm 

iFixit says https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Pentalobe- ... B00I6HXLCS

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pr ... ment/55914

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:31 pm 

According to the comments it's made out of very soft material, but who knows? One of the comments said it was absolutely wonderful! The other one said it was absolutely crap! And why do Apple have to invent new bloody screw types to keep people out of (our) bloody computers? Curse them.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:41 pm 

You guys were quick. I changed search parameters and came up with the same URL as Defcom.

It says eight 3.1mm and two 2.3mm so it is 2 x pentalobe things. They are so small, they look the same. iFixit offer just one for sale but now I'm on the right path.

Cheers and beers.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm 

I went to order one but Amazon says it is only an add-on. I can wait until my next splurge. Annoying that I had stuff arrive yesterday, today and more due tomorrow. I'll report back when the deed is done.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:04 pm 

Will you please include full details and photos of all dust found inside your computer?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm 

That was the plan, as it happens. It may be not a lot but the fans do spin up when I play a game or video, as in when it has to do some work. The inlet and outlet ports are small so it has to collect some crap. I could strip my Dell in minutes (once I'd found the way with a first tentative opening) using my trusty little Philips. The PCs I dismantled for work used standard screws. Apple don't want tampering: I get that but it is my risk.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 pm 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 pm 

Yeah I realised after I posted :D I should have edited. Thanks for saying as I may not have spotted that. You can't presume when it comes to omissions like that. I always put the screws back in the exact same hole regardless. Probably a touch of OCD.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 pm 

I just ordered the screwdriver. I got printer inks to pad up the add-in requirement. I'll need them one day. Daft thing is the ink will be here tomorrow and the driver Monday. Ah well, that's Prime for you.

I ordered something the other day and the tracking said it was dispatched from France, but was still here the next day.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:39 pm 

years ago I needed a special bit to open my sons gamecube. Instead of ordering one, I used an old trick that worked a treat.. You get a biro pen, take out the pen bit and heat up the plastic body till it goes all soft, then press it against the head of the screw and hey presto it sticks and you just repeat for the other screws. Now I know that won't work with all screw heads, but as a last resort it should work.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:17 pm 

Yes you can sometimes shift odd shaped things with a flat screwdriver, luck and brute force. The thing should be here tomorrow and I'll tale a chance on that rather than risk damage, even if only trivial. Were it many years old and in need of attention with no real risk to value or ongoing use, I'd have been in by now. I have dismantled many a busted old bit of junk just to look inside.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 pm 

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:06 am 

The screwdoodad turned up. It is easy to take the base off and look at what was inside :shock:

Note - I couldn't get it to link to OneDrive easily so gave up on that. These images are big and as they came off the iPhone. If you click, you'll get the whole thing in a new browser. These images are on my NAS so I'll delete them after a couple of weeks (I put a reminder in Calendar).

--edit-- images and links removed as per comment above.

The air can worked way better than I expected. Brilliant. I recommend this procedure.

Last edited by loughor on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 am 

FIL-THEE!!

But significantly better after you've cleaned it!

You mentioned your house was dusty, maybe you need to buy a few more of those air cans for your house!

Thanks for those pictures, I see a little bit left though in After 2, bottom right corner of the exhaust area. :? :)

Board index » General