Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:26 pm 

I've connected my old White MacBook to the TV to replace the Mini for use with EyeTV. What's the general consensus here about leaving it permanently connected to the mains?

There's lots of third party opinions on the web, but I can't find any advice from Apple. My only solution, if it is a problem, would be to use a timer plug.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:45 pm 

The general advice is to use the battery to exhaustion every now and then (once a month?) or the battery will die much sooner than it should.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 pm 

There was discussion about this in another thread. The advice is to keep Lithium-ion batteries between 40 and 80 percent (some say 20-80%). I don't see that as practical. I run my MBPr on mains when in use at home. Shut down at night. I run it down to 5% or so when I can be äršêd. If I had an older MacBook, I'd not be worried at all and be glad it was of any use at all. But all that is just me.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 pm 

I don't think that regularly running it completely flat is a good plan. You only do that when you want to reset and re-calibrate the internal battery meter but in general lithium-ion batteries don't need to be run completely flat to maintain their health. Apple's advice is to perform at least one discharge cycle per month I think (if I remember correctly) but you don't have to do that in one go. Running it down to 80% or so five times a month is equivalent to running it down completely once a month, as far as exercising Li-Ion batteries is concerned.

I usually keep my MacBook Pro plugged in 24/7 - 99% of the time - but when I remember I also let it run on the battery for an hour or so, down to about 80% or thereabouts and then reconnect it - and then forget about it for a week or two. The way I have been using it doesn't appear to have significantly harmed the battery. I rarely use it on the battery all the time so it's only got 78 cycles at the moment which is consistent with it's age and the recommended use pattern.

It's still in good condition today and it's a 2012 model, currently it still has 94% of design capacity.
It was secondhand when I bought it in September 2015 and it had about 40 or 50 cycles then.
My previous 2008 MBP's battery was also in pretty good shape when I sold it 2015. I used it the same way.

Image. . . . .Image

I keep it permanently plugged in, with occasional minor discharges.

I also use software called SmartSleep to only save RAM contents to disk during sleep if the battery level goes below 20% - so normally it doesn't have to save the entire RAM to disk. It doesn't get so low very often.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 pm 

That seems to show that leaving it plugged in all the time could be a good thing. My 2yo MBP spends a lot of it's time on my lap, regularly running down to 40% or less on a more or less daily basis. The battery is down to 79%.

It seems that leaving the White MacBook connected will be OK.

PS: My Photobucket still works. :D

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 pm 

My personal experience of using a MacBook Pro on mains 90% of the time was that it wrecked a brand new battery within 13 months. 'Service battery' warning started after only 50 cycles over 13 months.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:16 am 

You and I have very different experiences in this. Almost the opposite really. Did you have a duff battery - was it a one off or has this happened on several of your computers?

My technique has been tried on two different MacBook Pros and they both seem to be okay afterwards.

I guess we've each had different experiences! I've never seen the service battery warning before.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 am 

I've seen it twice. Once at 4 years plus a few months old for the battery which was originally installed, and again for the new one 13 months later. The original battery was again on a reasonably low cycle amount (IIRC it was about 160 ish over four years). I'm pretty sure that the original owner used it plugged in most of the time. I bought the MBP when it was 2 years 8 months old so had about 18 months life from the original battery.

With the second battery, I did have to leave the MBP plugged in because I was using it for work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week which is why it didn't have a high cycle count.

After the service battery warning appeared, I didn't bother buying a new battery as it was being used plugged in most of the time. I used to get about 60-120 minutes on battery which was normally enough if I ever had to go to see a client and needed to use it.

The MBP is now dead anyway. I knocked it off my desk when it was updating and tried to catch it but instead ended up crushing it and breaking the screen. Don't ask me how I did that as I have tried to analyse what happened and it makes my head hurt thinking about it.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 pm 

Quote:
Did you have a duff battery

We did. :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:01 am 

What is the officially "best" way to keep a MacBook's battery healthy and long-lasting?
Is it better to charge to full and unplug it, or charge only when necessary?

Chuck Rogers wrote:
Chuck Rogers, Former Apple Small Business Evangelist, and lifelong fan.
Answered Nov 1, 2016

It is kind of funny that this debate still rages on. I’m going to give you the definitive way to keep your battery as healthy as possible:

Plug it in whenever you aren’t using it or whenever it needs to be plugged in. It doesn’t matter.

Leave it plugged in as long as you want, or leave it unplugged as long as you want. Again, it doesn't matter.

Lithium Ion batteries have no “memory effect” like older batteries, so they don’t require such meticulous care. Apple’s batteries are rated for 1000 cycles. And again, there is some debate about what constitutes a “cycle,” although (again) there should be no debate.

According to Apple, if you allow your battery to discharge to 50% and then charge it to 100%, and then you do the same thing tomorrow, you have used 1 cycle, not 2. So that means, if you plug it in when it still has 95% battery power and charge it back to 100%, you have used only 1/20th of a cycle. If you plug it in when you have 25% battery left and charge it to 100% you have used ¾ of a cycle, etc.

Here’s another fun fact: according to Apple, at some point soon after you’ve used those 1000 cycles it will still charge to 80% of capacity. So if you realistically get 5 hours of battery life before you have run through those 1000 hours, you will still get 4 hours of battery for a long time.

OK - so where does that leave us? Well, if you discharge your battery 100% every day and charge it over night, you will get about 3 years out of the battery before performance drops to 80% — which still gives you respectable service. If you aren’t discharging your battery 100% and recharging it every 24 hours, then your battery will last a lot longer than 1000 days before you notice significant (20%) degradation in performance.

In other words, by the time you notice a significantly decreased battery life, you will probably be buying a newer computer. So plug it in whenever you want. Don’t worry about it at all. (And btw, you can leave the power plugged in as long as you want after the battery is fully charged. It won’t overcharge as long as you are using original Apple power adapters.)

So now you know the best way to keep a MacBook’s battery healthy and long-lasting: just use it and don’t worry about it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am 

Our monophasic sleep is not a natural way of sleeping

While researching for information during this thread - I came across this!

It looks interesting.

Quote:
While we may, depending on our type of sleep, metabolic rate and other factors, actually need only five to eight hours of sleep, Mother Nature has given us a daily average of 12 hours of darkness. As a result, humans living in the pre-artificial light ages developed what has come to be called a “biphasic” sleep pattern in which people cycled between sleep states and waking states all during those long dark nights.

Reportedly the norm until the late 1800’s when the development of electric lighting and the lifestyle inherent in the phrase “Gay 90’s” caused people to stay awake long into the wee hours, the benefits of biphasic sleep -- and later polyphasic sleep -- over monophasic sleep have been documented in scientific studies and experiments made over a period spanning three centuries.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:42 am 

Ah so biphasic covers getting up for a wee in the night :D

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 am 

Possibly, at least twice sometimes three times! It rather depends on how full one's bladder feels. :)
If I need a pee, I need to pee - there's no point in trying to go back to sleep with a semi-full bladder.

I remember well that at our boarding school, the co-educational type, in Yorkshire, the daily routine was interrupted by a couple of hours for "Siesta" after lunch. It was great to have that. I really found that helpful.

Wennington prospectus 1964 https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwa25o0d379je3t/Wennington_1964_prospectus.jpg?dl=0

The appellation "Sir" was never used at the school. All "Masters" were addressed by their first name.
Roger was the French teacher, Dennis the Maths and Brian taught Biology. The headmaster was informally referred to as "K. C." - Kenneth if spoken to face-to-face. "Outdoor Work" scheduled for various tasks in the afternoon and other school duties for us all were built-in to the regular heartbeat of the school.

Ingmanthorpe Hall - now redeveloped for the rich class. A great place to be in the 60s but we missed the swinging 60s and Carnaby Street! At least Roger allowed us to use his classroom - some of us would listen to the radio for Top of the Pops on Sundays With Alan Freeman. Some of us might sneak out into the woods during the night with some of the girls for an occasional "binge" with Strongbow cider bought from Cowthorpe or Bickerton by some of the more daring of us (I never bought any, I must confess to partaking sometimes)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 am 

The pedant in me insists I mention that Fluff did Pick of the Pops on the radio (and the occasional Top of the Pops on TV). PotP - a show that my brother and I recorded on a very basic reel to reel recorder with the mic. up against the valve radio speaker. I really don't know why we did that as the quality was poor and we never listened to it. Kids. Pffft.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 am 

Yes you're right - "Pick of the Pops". I had a portable reel to reel tape recorder which worked really well, maximum reel size 4" (without the cover) I think - in my latter years there - which was brilliant and I also smuggled in a small TV which a selected few of us used behind a disguised partition in the roof above the Biology classroom behind a curtain that wasn't found out until after I had left.

It was very similar to this:

Philips tape recorder

Board index » General