Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 pm 

Buying music downloads through iTunes looks set to disappear.

The push to streaming services continues.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/12/06/apple-terminate-music-downloads/

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am 

Meh. I've already cancelled iTunes Match - I'll just buy my music from whoever's left selling it!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am 

Anndra wrote:
Meh. I've already cancelled iTunes Match - I'll just buy my music from whoever's left selling it!

Amazon and Spotify ain't going to give up anytime soon, I reckon. After all, music is such a small part of Amazon's "sell anything to anyone" operation that I don't see a fall off in sales bothering them in the slightest, in the 'long tail' theory of online retailing; on the other hand, it's 100% Spotify's business so I would see them continuing to sell tracks as well as streaming for a good while yet just to "keep the customer satisfied".

Apple started off the whole 'sell music downloads' thing with the iTunes Store, now their sometimes infallible crystal ball says "streaming is the future" they won't hesitate to shut down something that's not their primary aim. But it's worth noting that people still sell and buy DVDs even though Apple have decided that optical drives are an unnecessary luxury.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 am 

I'm not fussed by this at all, in common with Anndra, if I need music I'll find a way to get it, I don't need it from Apple. I've never bought music from them with the rare exception of a good value Steely Dan set!

MacBiter wrote:
But it's worth noting that people still sell and buy DVDs even though Apple have decided that optical drives are an unnecessary luxury.

I think Apple made a sensible decision about DVDs, (and floppy drives) - I don't think they did it to spite their customers - they've done it because DVD drives are so cumbersome, unreliable, are used now by so few and they take up such a lot of space. It was a sane decision to remove them from their portable equipment, at the very least. They didn't do it to annoy people, they did it for sensible reasons.

They have been right to do that imho. If you really want one you can just plug one in, I have one such but very rarely use it now.

As far as buying music directly from them goes, so what?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:10 pm 

I have an Apple SuperDrive bought specifically in case a client sends me a disk. I honestly cannot remember when the last time a client sent me one. USB sticks, cloud services, file transfer sites are what my clients use now.

As for music downloads, buying through iTunes is by far the easiest way to get music into your music library on an iOS device - you browse, you tap 'buy', it downloads and you can start listening. But if they stop it, then I will buy from Amazon and have to sync to my iPhone or iPad.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am 

Leewave wrote:
I'm not fussed by this at all, in common with Anndra, if I need music I'll find a way to get it, I don't need it from Apple. I've never bought music from them with the rare exception of a good value Steely Dan set!

Citizen Steely Dan - 5 albums for the price of one until someone at Apple noticed? Snap! That was one gift horse I was never going to look in the mouth...

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Board index » General