Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm 

Miqs wrote:
I have looked at using Apple Music but read that I have to download and install the DRM encryption music converter program first

http://www.tunefab.com/apple-music-converter/.

Is this normal practice and do I have to do similar again if I go with Spotify?

No, no, no! Where did you read this?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 pm 

I now see after some research and reading that it is necessary for both Apple Music and Spotify. I shall now proceed carefully!

http://www.ondesoft.com/spotify-converter-for-mac/remove-spotify-drm.html

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm 

Anndra wrote:
Miqs wrote:
I have looked at using Apple Music but read that I have to download and install the DRM encryption music converter program first

Is this normal practice and do I have to do similar again if I go with Spotify?

No, no, no! Where did you read this?

Sorry our posts crossed. I read it as previous post above. Is this not so?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

I think I should clarify. I am wanting to stream music through my bluetooth Amazon Echo Dot device. I have purchased music playlists on iTunes already and want to be able to play these occasionally. But additionally stream music from Apple music or Spotify when I choose.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm 

The only DRM is when you d/l music from the provider to an iPhone/Pad/Android. While you are subscribed, the files are there locally. If you unsubscribe, they vanish.

If you want to play through Alexa type things then how to do Spotify below. You can't stream Apple Music as far as I can tell. Alexa is really designed to work with Amazon's own streaming.

https://www.howtogeek.com/250426/how-to-play-spotify-music-on-the-amazon-echo/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:01 pm 

Miqs wrote:
I think I should clarify. I am wanting to stream music through my bluetooth Amazon Echo Dot device...

Through the bluetooth on your Echo, or just stream through your Echo?

Miqs wrote:
I have purchased music playlists on iTunes already and want to be able to play these occasionally.

I assume you mean you have purchased tracks, not playlists. Amazon have recently discontinued uploading files to Amazon Music, which allowed streaming them through the echo, but you will be able to bluetooth from your Mac, iPhone etc. through the echo.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 pm 

Yes sorry I should have said I intend to stream music via my iPad i.e bluetooth. My purchased music is on iTunes which I access via my iMac.

" ...... or just stream through your Echo"? I thought you HAD to have a iPhone, iPad etc to stream music via the Echo Dot? Can I confirm then, If I understand correctly, I could stream music from Amazon without using my iPad and then bluetooth it to a separate bluetooth speaker which is what I want to do? Presumably by accessing the Echo Dot app or Amazon website. I will investigate further. Thanks for all the very useful info however.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am 

MacBiter wrote:
Thanks Dave - I have got Sierra on a spare partition. Unfortunately the entire partition is smaller than my iTunes Library!

Actually, I just had a thought. If I created a new iTunes Library for only my Purchased songs (a couple of hundred at most), I could put that on a memory stick and create an iTunes Library from it in Sierra, convert all to DRM-free re-downloads, save the individual tracks from the Music Library back to the stick, then import them back into Mavericks. That should work, shouldn't it?

ETA: No, doesn't work. Sierra successfully imported all my DRM into iTunes, but when I viewed 'Purchased' (it listed everything), the re-download button only showed for my non-Protected music, not for anything with DRM. I suppose I should have realised Apple wouldn't be that generous. Either that, or they have an agreement with the record companies.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Last edited by MacBiter on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am 

Yep

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am 

Miqs wrote:
Yes sorry I should have said I intend to stream music via my iPad i.e bluetooth. My purchased music is on iTunes which I access via my iMac.

" ...... or just stream through your Echo"? I thought you HAD to have a iPhone, iPad etc to stream music via the Echo Dot? Can I confirm then, If I understand correctly, I could stream music from Amazon without using my iPad and then bluetooth it to a separate bluetooth speaker which is what I want to do? Presumably by accessing the Echo Dot app or Amazon website. I will investigate further. Thanks for all the very useful info however.

Yup, connect your echo to bluetooth speakers, then say, "Alexa, play music by William Shatner". Specific music is limited without paying for a streaming service, but you can say, "Alexa, play classical music"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am 

Leewave wrote:
Yep

Nope! See my edited post above...

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Board index » General