Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: HomePod
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 pm 

You did remember Americans say "vaze" didn't you...?

I'm sure you did, but felt it was time I contributed... well, something! :roll:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:05 pm 

^ I tried the pronunciation trick you suggested and no dice.

Siri can't list what albums are on Apple Music by artist either. It is a bit of a weak spot, maybe.

I thought they would love to hear from me (everyone does ;)) so I nipped to https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html and fired off a comment. I don't know if it was the correct feedback page but I used it nonetheless.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:01 pm 

loughor wrote:
Yep. I did all that careful diction stuff. I gave up but later thought "I wonder if I could ask what Roy Harper albums she had?" and see a) if that works and b) hear what she says it is. But I've not tried yet.

On my iPad, Siri heard "Roy Harper" and opened up the iTunes Store with a selection of his music (not Bullingamingvase though!)

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:33 pm 

Exactly. Even when broken down to the basic five words, it mistranslates quite comically what is said - "I can't find --- in the library". Siri still has a long way to go to be any real use on any platform.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 am 

It seems sales have not been up to expectations. I like mine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-12/apple-s-stumbling-homepod-isn-t-the-hot-seller-company-wanted

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am 

On a similar note to Roy Harper (above), I wanted the playlist "folk essentials" this morning. I think Siri has a problem with the "folk" word as I got all sorts on five different times before the right stuff was played. I pronounce it like FOKE. Do Americans sound the L? I'll test it, but not so soon after getting the desired playlist mounted.

--edit-- Here's one I found by accident. I wanted to see what the 'Pod was playing without asking so I looked on my iPhone via AirPlay (as you can). Having done that, I later spotted that my Watch was now showing it in Playing Now. I could skip tracks and control the volume. As usual, I'm sure you all knew that but I like discovering neat tricks for myself. The documentation I saw was very sparse on "how to" things. Also, what man reads documentation? ;)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:12 pm 

Watch will show any music you play on iPhone. It will also control volume for YouTube videos and videos played in Tweetbot - at least it has for me. It’s a feature of the latest Watch os.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:34 pm 

Indeed. I use the Watch to control iPhone music playback and have even loaded some albums onto it directly. It was the HomePod thing that caught my mind as the iPhone isn't doing the streaming, just observing what the 'Pod is doing. Some things do just work - just not all.

Also, mispronouncing 'folk' makes no difference but it had to be attempted.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:18 am 

I realise that HomePod owners are few in here but I thought I'd ask before contacting Apple support.

Soon I will be changing the router's SSID and maybe password. Easy-peasy to change details on iPhone/Pad, Macs, etc. but there are no obvious settings in the Home app for the 'Pod. As far as I can tell, it either magically updates from the set-up device or needs a factory reset: nothing in between. Does anyone have any idea? I have found beggar all on the Apple support pages or other sites via searching but I never claim perfection on search terms and picking pages.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 am 

It wouldn't surprise me if it took the settings from your other devices.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:39 am 

I agree with Jonah, Apple's sharing of wifi details between devices has become very clever, I wouldn't be surprised if it all happens auto-magically.

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:59 am 

Thanks, both, I'll report back when I get to it. I was hoping it would auto-sync with the iPhone used to set it up as that is where it got my iCloud/iTunes/wifi from on setup.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:39 pm 

I see that sales have been less than may have been expected.

Harking back to an earlier issue, I eventually found out that Roy Harper's 'Bullinamingvase'* is called 'One of those Days in England' in America. Siri won't understand that either...

... and on a similar note, a Byrds album I have on well played vinyl has just appeared on Apple Music. It was called 'Untitled' but Apple list it as '(Untitled) / (Unissued)'. Maybe another Americanism but it certainly was issued here - I have it. Siri took five attempts, even with the same command, but it is now playing.

* I can play through Sonos and I also have the vinyl, so no biggie. Just it should work.

Last edited by loughor on Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:03 pm 

Americans cannot abide eponymous albums apparently, hence "The White Album", "Roger the Engineer" ("The Yardbirds"), and "Saturate Before Using" ("Jackson Browne").

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm 

I read that AirPlay 2 is available on HomePod.

https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-homepod-now-supports-stereo-pairing-and-sonos-rivalling-multi-room

Mine still says it is on firmware 11.3 so no sign of it landing in Loughor yet. I've no idea how I'd know it had v2 unless it ticks up a version, I suppose.

Back to Roy Harper - I got Siri to play One of Those Days in England and asked for details while it was playing. Blah blah Bull-in-a-Ming-Vayse blah. She still won't understand or find it even though I know she knows.

--edit-- ah no - firmware after 18:00. Also iOS etc. ones as well. Go get 'em.

--edit 2-- Interesting that I have 'Pod updates set to 'auto install' but I had to kick it off myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » General