Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm 

Today I tried to create a hotmail (outlook) account. Everything went swimmingly until the "Add security info" window. This required a phone number so they could send a verification code by text to prove that the phone number they'd just asked for was authentic. :roll: I don't text. EVER. My landline number provoked an error message that they couldn't send me a text to it. Furious that they only had one method of validation I got to their help website, where a friendly woman asked me to download a technical app so their technicians could talk to me (had to do this in Chrome as Safari wouldn't load the link).

Anyway, the app was LogMeIn Rescue, which I've since found out is used by M'Soft. I agreed to let the technician take control of my computer, though she actually just chatted, I never saw my cursor move without my own volition.

Having explained my predicament, she eventually said they could set up my account for me, if I paid £50. WTF??? I said no way, then the price was reduced to £30. At this point I got very angry and told them I'd set up a Google account instead. My question though, was this genuine or was I being scammed? I assume not as I'd approached MS in the first place. But is this correct - they charge for help?

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Board index » General