Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 am 

I took my Dad (91 and firing on all cylinders) to see an old friend, as in aged old and who he has known for 50 years, who is in a nursing home in south Wales yesterday.

Sadly most of the patients have various stages of dementia, as does my Dad's friend now, and though the nursing home is lovely there are electronic locks to stop you entering...and getting out. As you do, I got talking to several of the patients who are desperate for some form of contact but you cannot know whether they are telling you the truth about themselves or will remember the conversation at all after a few minutes.

Very sad and humbling. I came out even more determined to do all that I can whilst I'm still fit. I'm with Dylan Thomas.

'Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.'

There's a happy topic for a Tuesday.

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:28 am 

Well, the other side of that coin:

My mother-in-law (aged 89) now has progressive vascular dementia. She used to be, frankly, aggressive, unpleasant and argumentative BEFORE the dementia took hold. Now she is considerably more calm, less agitated and by all visible signs: much more content and happy.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:34 pm 

My wife’s Aunt was the opposite to your mother in law.

Dementia is a horrible thing. It strips away your very essence and makes you forget your life.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 pm 

Dementia is the most cruel disease, but I guess I could accept it if you get into your 90s.

Someone posted this on Facebook earlier today and it puts things into perspective somewhat...

Man, 23, is youngest in UK to be diagnosed with dementia - after watching it destroy his mum:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... t-13344496

I don’t know how I’d cope being diagnosed at such an early age. Life’s cruel, you have to take the cards you’re dealt.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm 

Alzheimer and dementia are very cruel illnesses but to be honest its worse for the family members than the patient. My wife is a carer and sees all sorts of stuff with all sorts of illnesses. She sees the stress and heartbreak the family go through on a daily basis with both these conditions.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 pm 

crapday wrote:
Alzheimer and dementia are very cruel illnesses but to be honest its worse for the family members than the patient. My wife is a carer and sees all sorts of stuff with all sorts of illnesses. She sees the stress and heartbreak the family go through on a daily basis with both these conditions.

Tbh, that's one thing we can never know. The early stage, when the sufferer realises something is wrong, gets diagnosed, then endures the gradual disintegration of their personality and memories .. we can only guess what that must be like.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 am 

MacBiter wrote:
crapday wrote:

Tbh, that's one thing we can never know. The early stage, when the sufferer realises something is wrong, gets diagnosed, then endures the gradual disintegration of their personality and memories .. we can only guess what that must be like.

That’s my girlfriend’s Dad. But it was caught so early they reckon something else will get him first. He’s considerably less agitated since they told him that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:34 am 

Anndra wrote:
MacBiter wrote:
crapday wrote:

That’s my girlfriend’s Dad. But it was caught so early they reckon something else will get him first. He’s considerably less agitated since they told him that.

In a way, Terry Pratchett was lucky - he died of ?pneumonia long before his Alzheimers rendered him non-compos mentis.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:21 pm 

My father was taken by Alzheimer's, it took several years to develop slowly. He was never aggressive or unpleasant, he just got more confused but was reasonably content, so for us it wasn't as awful as I know it can be for some.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:23 pm 

My father has vascular dementia, gets very aggressive and it’s truly horrible. A nasty disease for all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:04 pm 

My mum is 89, her GP suspects she has vascular dementia, I take her to the clinic for a memory test in the morning. She’s had type 2 diabetes for 20 years, her blood sugar levels are now far too high, she’s refused insulin, won’t stick to her diet and constantly messes up her medication. The doctor has explained (to me, mum won’t listen) that the out of control diabetes is responsible for killing brain cells, her memory has gone downhill at a rapid rate over the previous 6 months.

It’s going to be a difficult day, mum has always been rude, aggressive and opinionated, now she’s much worse. Convinced her memory is just fine she’s already made her mind up that she’s not going to cooperate with the test, or speak to the nurses. That is if I can even get her there at all, I keep expecting a phone call to say that she’s ill and can’t go.

It is an awful disease and very difficult to deal with.

White MacBook late 2007 - Snow Leopard iPhone 5 IPod Touch 2 Gen. iPad 6 Gen.
Nikon D5600 on Flickr

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 pm 

I am truly sympathetic with the tread but shouldn't it be in Couch not General. Moderator please move to appropriate port.

Board index » General