Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:53 pm 

My 2011 iMac is on it's way out, I keep getting artefacts on the screen, freezes and out right crashes. It probably can be fixed but it's not worth the cost of doing it. So i've decided it's time to upgrade. After pricing up the iMacs and new Mac Mini I think I'll go the mini route as that seems more bang for my buck plus I want a 21.5" screen and not have to pay Apple's stupid price for RAM.

With iMac I can't upgrade the RAM myself and it seems I can get a better machine for less with the mini. An iMac would be configured like this,

3.6GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 2400MHz DDR4
256GB SSD
Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB video memory
Cost £2,259

I'll have to max out the memory as I Apple makes it non-upgradable that adds £540 to the price.

Mac Mini like this

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
256GB SSD
Cost £1,429

I can use my current Keyboard and Magic Trackpad and when the warranty is up or if it doesn't void the warranty I'll upgrade the RAM myself.

My question is could someone suggest a good 21ish" monitor to go with it and with the cost of a monitor will that push the price above the iMac?

Cheers,
Neil H.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:10 pm 

First question... have you blown the dust out of your iMac? My 2011 iMac needs it done every 6 months or I get your symptoms.

Quite happy with the Benq GL2460, 24" but diagonally not much diff in the 21", was afraid of the loe sale price here of $129, but to my eyes it's as good or better than any Apple Monitor I've seen.

I wouldn't be afraid to try the cheap Asus either...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2460-24 ... B00AQBWMTK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GW2270HM- ... 4FP03Q5X2V

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm 

Interesting that you can now change RAM in the 2018 mini. I have a 2014 and I recall it is not user serviceable. That's a good move by Apple. 9to5mac

I'd suggest you get a monitor that supports DisplayPort so you can go to 4k. HDMI is a bit naff.

I won't recommend a make/model as you can yourself search for something like "best 4k monitor 2018" and read reviews. I did that and ended up with a Dell 28".

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:38 pm 

BDAqua,
I had the dust blown out a while ago when the HDD was replaced after Tech Tool Pro said it was about to die. I've got a can of air so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that and see if I can get it here and for what price.

loughor,
Yes, it's great to see the RAM can be upgraded but it's hard to do and there's some confusion as to whether doing so yourself will void the warranty. Thanks for the DisplayPort tip. I'll do a search as you suggest. I have read that Dell monitors are supposed to be good.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

I have an Acer B286HK 4K monitor I bought on newegg.com 4 years ago to use with my 2013 Mac Pro. I will be using it with my 2018 Mac mini when it arrives next week. I've never been able to use it via the Display port & have had to use HDMI. I think that's a problem with the Mac Pro. Of course, Apple's documentation back then showed very few 4K monitors as supported but it has always worked in 4K. I'll let you know how it goes with the mini.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm 

I managed to get a good deal on a 4K 27” LG 27UD68P. It’s LOVELY.

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 pm 

After a bit of a poke around on the web I've come across these two 24" monitors, 27" being too big, an LG 24UD58 or Dell P2415Q.

Has anyone any experience of LG or Dell monitors? I haven't played games on my Mac but I may (or may not) start playing Elite: Dangerous so the LG looks better but it doesn't have USB ports. Also does anyone know how colour accurate a gaming monitor is as I would prefer that over gaming use?

I've realised I'll need a camera too so I looked up two a 720 Logitech C270 or 1080 Logitech 920 HD. Has anyone any other recommendations for a camera?

The price of my cheaper system is going up bit by bit. So far it'll be £1,852 at most plus the price of a set of speakers.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm 

I'm quite impressed with the 24" Dell monitor I bought used from Mr. Breeden.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm 

I can't comment on the specific monitors. I have a 4K Dell and it is just fine. I used to buy LG back in the day of 4:3 screens. There are so many good monitors out there.

The Logitech C910 HD webcam is very good and works with macOS without a hitch (I have one).

I used to play Elite on my BBC B but Elite looks like it would benefit from a joystick and I've not found one for Mac. I have a superb Sidewinder 2, but that is Windows only.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 pm 

NeilDeWheel wrote:
Has anyone any other recommendations for a camera?

How long is a piece of string?

Meaning : you'll have to give more clues than just "I need a camera". What will you use it for? How much knowledge and experience do you have? Do you want the camera to do everything or do you want some user input, if so how much? What's your budget? And that's just for starters!

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:42 am 

I have one of these. 24 inch Dell IPS 16 x 10 monitor. Bright LED backlight. As far as I'm concerned it's great. Very good picture but maybe you want more resolution, this is good for me. £200 new, mine was free with a secondhand 2012 Mac Mini deal, he also threw in the Bluetooth trackpad and keyboard for no extra cost.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)

If you buy a 4K monitor, can your Mini graphics card drive it? Maybe it can, need to check.
How much is the Mac Mini these days? Is it that much? My goodness. Try an earlier model or the secondhand market.

If you like music get a decent pair of speakers, I have Audioengine A4's

Last edited by Leewave on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 am 

MacBiter wrote:
NeilDeWheel wrote:
Has anyone any other recommendations for a camera?

How long is a piece of string?

Meaning : you'll have to give more clues than just "I need a camera". What will you use it for? How much knowledge and experience do you have? Do you want the camera to do everything or do you want some user input, if so how much? What's your budget? And that's just for starters!

Given that the 2 cameras mentioned are webcams I think we can rule out dslr's or even compact point and shoot cameras. I think the ask is for webcam recommendations.

iMac 27" (2010) i7 2.93 GHz quad core OSX 10.13
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS X 10.13.6
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 am 

If you go for a 4K model, be aware that if you drive it at native resolution which is always the best way, the OS interface text will be tiny. I remember a friend of mine once bought a 17" MacBook Pro and specified the hi-res model - but then complained that everything was too small!

Actually I drive my Dell 24 inch monitor at less than native resolution of 1280x800, so that the text can be read from across the room. I use it as a TV as well as a computer per se. If I choose the native resolution of 1920x1200 it's a little bit too pokey for armchair viewing.

If you don't drive it native resolution it will be a little bit blurry but also you defeat the object of having a high resolution monitor in the first place. I haven't got 4K so I can't compare but sometimes people jump for high specs without always considering the implications.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:23 am 

The mini can do 4K via DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 3 now). As Leewave says, if you go 4K then the stuff on screen will look tiny but you can tinker with the likes of the menu bar, dock and text to find something that suits. I am using a 27" 4K monitor on my MBPr, which stays closed for the most part. I forget the exact things I did but it was easy enough.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:45 am 

Can you increase the size of the OS text? I thought that was fixed, but of course I might be mistaken about that, especially in the later OSs.

Certainly you can increase the size of the Dock, but windows in general will have tiny OS text in them for the most part, unless you choose large-scale font sizes - which I know you can do for Safari, and presumably others. Certainly word processing and all that stuff can be scaled to fit comfortably.

But what's the point of spending a lot of money on a 4K monitor if you're not really going to use it at its maximum resolution? It seems a waste of money to me, unless you're a graphic artist or some such.

I going into people's homes as part of one of my jobs and ask them about TVs and their TV use. I see all these huge 55 inch TVs, but when you look at the screen, the quality is absolutely atrocious. Even high definition is reduced to blurry artefacts if you actually look at it. It's the same with all TVs. It's the signal processing that is at fault internally. I use a Mac Mini to display TV and the signal processing is done by the Elgato EyeTV software. That is crystal clear. Compare that with a standard off-the-shelf TV and there is a lot of room for improvement on standard TVs. My EyeTV doesn't receive HD, but there are no significant artefacts in it's display. It is scaled appropriately and accurately.

My other major work is doing the National Crime survey for England and Wales. That is much more interesting than the TV survey. At least with the crime survey, people are interested in it and willing to help and they get a letter in advance - an official letter from the Office for National statistics. If you want to look at the crime survey, follow this link. Crime Survey for England & Wales

Board index » General