Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:00 pm 

In Syetem Preferences > Displays you can scale the text from "Larger Text" to "More Space" with scaled resolution. I prefer my Mac on 4K rather than HDMI. It is much clearer and I can see more of the open windows. I tried both. It is a personal thing either way. DisplayPort beats HDMI even if you go for the lower resolution imo.

I have a 55" UHD TV. It is very clear with the 1080 VM source. The 4K from Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport looks great. Where panels lose out is with low processor refresh rates. The cheaper TVs can suffer. Of course, cheap does not necessarily mean rubbish. It depends on the make/model.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:23 pm 

Yeah I'm sure it looks great from a distance but I bet you can't see the pixels from the sofa and if you look more closely at the screen and at the pixels they are all a mishmash with artefacts in the areas of contrast, at least on the 4K TVs that I've looked at. Some people like garish colours and forget about subtlety and dynamic range. I'm not suggesting that applies to you or anybody reading this I'm just saying that people often don't notice the big picture sometimes.

It seems that people buy stuff because it's sold to them, but actually they don't realise that you don't need 4K for most purposes. Of course I know you will beg to differ so sorry, it's just an opinion! I just see my training coming through, when I went to university I studied engineering and it was impressed upon me that resolution and accuracy are only relative. There is no point in specifying numbers to 19 decimal places when you only need five.

Signal processing is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. It's all very well having millions of pixels but can the hardware/software drive them correctly? Can you see them from a distance?

It's a waste of effort. You have to think about how something will be used to determine whether or not it's worthwhile being technically capable of displaying more detail than you will ever notice.

TVs are sold by marketing based on people's perception that higher numbers are always better. Sometimes they are not necessary.

The displays preferences must be different in later OSs. In Mavericks there is only the option for scaled, (including native), or Best for display. This is what I have in Mavericks for my 1440 x 900 MBP display:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:01 pm 

Yep. We can agree in general terms and also have different opinions on others. I get the scaling options on this page https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202471 but for the Dell display rather than the Retina.

You get what you pay for with a TV but if you don't have access to UHD content then stick with HD. Not wanting to change the topic in any way, it seems I might. I've noticed that UHD TVs are all 'smart' these days. I don't really want that but it is hard to avoid. I was looking the other day while in Curry's and the smart OS worry me. I'd not buy anything with Google or Amazon embedded. I just wouldn't. That wouldn't leave me much choice. Minor rant over. Let's not talk smart TVs in here.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:12 pm 

I know there is a Taboo about not changing the topic, and being very careful not to say anything that doesn't apply in a particular thread. But I think that's another example of limitation for the sake of it.

It reminds me of the Law. The Law is the Law! - but the Law is sometimes an ass. Laws are set so that there can be some control, it doesn't necessarily mean a law is right, or necessarily appropriate. But they are there so that things don't get out of hand - Grey has to be described as either black or white.

I hate traffic lights going red, late in the evening on an empty road when there's nobody there, you can see all the junctions, but you are obliged to stop and wait for two minutes while they change. We used to be allowed to drive based on common sense, but his is getting harder and harder in Britain. Don't talk to me about speed bumps! I know what they are for, councils have very different ideas on how obstructive they should be. They are supposed to limit you to 20 miles an hour, you try driving down a road with some speed bumps at 20 miles an hour and you'll wish you hadn't. Good drivers don't need them, Bad drivers need their licenses taking away sometimes. Driving is dangerous, it can kill people, I know there are very poor drivers who do need to be controlled so we all suffer because there are some people who are selfish and dangerous. I could never be a policeman, it wouldn't suit me.

I think it's okay to digress in a thread when the main topic has already been largely finished and covered sufficiently. I know that we like to keep types of discussions in their boxes, so that we can find them again, but discussions naturally can go in different directions. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, I think that's often helpful and interesting. Of course if I want to have a philosophical discussion maybe I should start a thread about philosophy! Okay mods, got that!

Anybody is welcome to take this back to the original discussion at any time! I'm not "hijacking" the thread - so called - I'm just speaking about what's in my head. Sorry about that! :?

Last edited by Leewave on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 pm 

It was I who went a bit off topic but it seemed to evolve that way. I still say get a 4K monitor and use DisplayPort ;) Either way, as long as Neil is happy with his eventual choice then that is what matters.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 pm 

Evolution is a natural phenomena, denying its existence is not useful. (I think) ;)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

Are you at a loose end this afternoon as well as I?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:33 pm 

Apparently so! Yes, I was toying with the idea of going out to work in Carlisle to knock on doors where people don't know you are coming - so to them you are a nasty unpleasant cold caller who should be banned, and then trying to interest them in the survey about their television use, on behalf of the Broadcasters Audience Research Board, BARB. Sometimes it's not an easy job to do. As it's already 1:30, I decided I can't be arsed today, it can wait until Monday.

Tomorrow I will be driving to the Blackpool area to do some Crime reissues (addresses previously visited by another interviewer, which have been unsuccessful). They will put me in a hotel on Saturday night there. Next weekend I will go to South Preston area (PR7) for three days to cover new work just starting for the Crime Survey for EW there. Residential addresses have been randomly selected by computer and are fixed. You can't swap them for others. That is to eliminate bias as much as is possible.

I have all the addresses already programmed into my satnav, the satnav is a wonderful piece of kit! I bought one when I started doing this job. Especially in places like central Manchester! It would be bl :!: :!: dy hard to do this job without it. It's a godsend, although you have to look at where it's asking you to drive to. You have to take what the satnav says with a little pinch of salt!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm 

Athough my current 2011 21.5" screen is 1080 and looks good enough from just over arms length away I wold prefer to get the same sort of size screen that Apple sells in its Mac range now. The, slightly, increase screen size coupled with the increased resolution will, hopefully, allow me to have two apps open side by side. ATM they overlap a bit and it's a pain if I have to keep flipping from one to the other when reading from one app whilst working in another. Also if I do start playing Elite again (C-64 and Amiga back in the day, loughor. It's crazy to think that wireframe graphics where amazing then) The extra resolution should let me see smaller objects farther in the distance.

As per the discussion moving to getting the use out of a 4k screen goes I don't mind it being "hijacked". As long as it can be bought back when it suits thats's fine.

I know what you mean about pixels being a mishmash and getting the TV that's sold to the not right for them. I helped some neighbours set up their 50" HD TV 10 years ago when big tv's started to become more affordable. It was a good make so I'm sure the picture would have been wonderful but they had a small two bed flat. Other than it taking up a huge corner of the room they sat so close to the screen you could see the blockiness of the picture, it was awful. They would have been better off with a 40" max but the salesman uphold them a larger size.

This is why I'm going for a mini. Specs wise I'd prefer a 27" ,e.g. being able to change my own RAM, but size wise the 27" screen is not suitable for me at all.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm 

I know what you mean about having enough space on the screen so that you can open documents side-by-side, it is very worth having a display that is big enough to do that. 1920 x 1200 works okay with enough detail for me when needed, the Late 2012 Mac Mini can actually go to 2560 x 1600 (via Thunderbolt)

You could of course add a second monitor in extended display mode
Possibly put two similar ones side-by-side, each in portrait mode, (rotate 90°)

The Late 2012 Mac Mini is the last one that you can change the RAM on, and it is easily upgradable. Now I see they are reintroducing the ability to upgrade RAM again in the latest ones, but you could get a 2012 Mini which is very capable, for not much money. I have an i5 two-core with enough RAM for my purposes, I have 8 GB in it currently, (16 max) and I added an SSD instead of the optical drive to make a Fusion drive - which gives it the speed that is well worth having. I have the removed optical drive and put it in an external caddy - so I still have access to DVDs and CDs but rarely have a need. You may be ok with it, I'm happy with mine anyway. Mine came with the added bonus of a free 24" Dell IPS monitor, keyboard, trackpad.
Can't guarantee that with any deal you may make!

Mind you the maximum resolution it can drive is probably lower than you may want, but there could be the second monitor option.

Late 2012 Mac Mini OVERVIEW

Introduced October 2012
Discontinued October 2014
Model Identifier Macmini6,1 (2.5 GHz) Macmini6,2 (2.3 or 2.6 GHz)
Model Number A1347
EMC 2570

Initial Price £499 (2.5 GHz) £679 (2.3 GHz)
Current Price £337.39
Support Status Supported

PROCESSOR

Processor Intel Core i5 or Core i7 (3210M, 3615QM, 3720QM) ("Ivy Bridge")
Processor Speed 2.5 GHz (Core i5) or 2.3 or 2.6 GHz (Core i7)

Architecture 64-bit

GRAPHICS

Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000
Graphics Memory Up to 1 GB DDR3 shared with main memory
Display Connection 1 - HDMI port or Thunderbolt digital video output
Display Support Supports an HDMI-compatible device while using one Thunderbolt display, with support for two
Display Modes Dual display extended, video mirroring, and AirPlay Mirroring
External Resolution Up to 2560 by 1600 (Thunderbolt) or 1920 by 1200 (HDMI)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:35 pm 

Leewave wrote:
I was toying with the idea of going out to work in Carlisle to knock on doors where people don't know you are coming

I have had a woman from Ipsos MORI call twice in the last month or so but I have declined to participate in the survey. I have no idea what the topic may have been. It can't be a rewarding job what with miserable old gits like me answering the door.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:46 pm 

It's not particularly rewarding. It doesn't satisfy me when people are so miserable and old gittish. You have to develop a thick skin and not take it personally.

She must have introduced herself and said what the survey was about but you probably said no thank you I don't speak to strangers on the doorstep go away click.

I work for both Ipsos Mori and Kantar. I started with Kantar, they are much better, have better work for me. The pay from Ipsos is not very good and it's on a sliding scale. You have to do the hard work before you start earning the "big bucks" but the big bucks are not very big and by the time you get to reasonable pay per interview, there aren't any addresses left that will talk to you! But it all adds up and I get a modest reasonable living from it as well as my state pension now. The job is in entirely flexible. If I don't want to go out on a particular day I don't go. I only have to achieve the end result in the allotted time and there is plenty of time free. That depends on how much work I get given though. That is very variable.

The crime survey is much better. It's a reasonable pay and most people are willing to help. And then you get to meet lots of different people, allsorts. You see all sides of society, and sometimes, actually quite frequently, you can make it pleasant and they actually enjoy the off script conversation on occasions. Some people are fascinating and very interesting. Others are not. If I can make people feel happier and better about the situation by the time I leave than when I knocked on the door and they looked at me with a baleful stare, then I am happy. Some people offer to shake my hand as I leave, and that is rewarding, they didn't have to do that.

That's a nice part about the job, talking to people and having good conversations.

The crime survey is paid reasonably well. The work is not what I would choose to do after my previous career but I happened upon it by being selected for this survey myself four years ago, and I think it's better to get out of the house and do something rather than sit at home and do f.all.

They send me away quite a lot now, pay for the hotel, an allowance for a good meal in the evening, mileage is rewarded reasonably, I get to see parts of the country I never would have thought to visit.

Cold calling is not much fun. The crime survey is not cold calling. They have been sent an introductory letter from the Office for National Statistics and a book of six first class stamps as a little thank you. If the company won't send letters in advance then it's all the harder.

I'd rather do what I used to do.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 pm 

No, it was "hello I'm blah blah and I'm carrying out a survey for Ipsos MORI. Do you have time to answer a few questions?" both times. No idea on what. I just wasn't in the mood. I did one by the ONS and was told it was five minutes. It was twenty to thirty. It is that kind of thing that puts a person off doing more.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:04 pm 

Paw wrote:
MacBiter wrote:
NeilDeWheel wrote:
Has anyone any other recommendations for a camera?

How long is a piece of string?

Meaning : you'll have to give more clues than just "I need a camera". What will you use it for? How much knowledge and experience do you have? Do you want the camera to do everything or do you want some user input, if so how much? What's your budget? And that's just for starters!

Given that the 2 cameras mentioned are webcams I think we can rule out dslr's or even compact point and shoot cameras. I think the ask is for webcam recommendations.

You didn't mention webcams, and I didn't have time to follow your links. Forget it.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:41 pm 

I see Dell has 50% off monitors for "cyber Monday" until midnight.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/deals/ar/8245

Might be worth a look.

Board index » General