Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post subject: Mesh Networking
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:57 am 

Just in case anybody else is considering spending a stupid amount of money to get their WiFi to work...

We’ve been struggling with the internet at my girlfriend’s place for a while. Ditching Virgin solved a lot of the problems, they’re notorious in this area.

Still the WiFi would drop out now and then, one problem was the microwave. We could guarantee the WiFi would stop working while it was cooking something.

After trying a host of range extenders, swapping bands etc. I got fed up and spent way too much money on a Netgear Orbi system specified for a house twice this size!

Problems gone. It’s designed to be easy to set up, although you need an account with Netgear for some reason and the software isn’t quite fully baked yet. But it’s so nice to have reliable internet and WiFi!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flickr Photo Albums

Post subject: Re: Mesh Networking
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 am 

That’s really interesting as I’ve been considering mesh for a while. I’m on a Virgin cable 100mps package. I get those speeds via Ethernet but at the far end of the house the speed on Wi-Fi can drop to just 4mps.

What speeds are you now getting?

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 am 

Speedtest is giving me 35 down and 8.5 up, which is just about its rating. It feels a lot faster than before, but the real change is the reliability and consistency.

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 am 

davesoa wrote:
I’m on a Virgin cable

Me too, also on Ethernet for all that has a socket or can take an adapter. The SuperHub is modem only and I have my own TP-Link router. My iPhone and Pad seem to like the 2.4 GHz best so I let them get on with it as it is OK for my meagre demands. The Ookla app says 30.5 Mbps on 2.4 but 220 Mbps on 5 GHz over my 200 Mbps line, even with the slightly weaker signal.

I have been planning to relocate the router onto a wall more central to the house, from being tucked in a corner. One of my many jobs on my list.

Anyway, VM Hubs are a bit pants (just ask a VM engineer) so that might be a contributory factor. I think Sonos sets up its own mesh network but that's by the by.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm 

Yep, the VM router is, if we are being kind, just a ‘get you up and going’ item. I’ve got mine in modem mode and linked to an Apple Extreme. The Apple unit is fine but the shape and construction of the house means that a substantial part of it acts like a Faraday cage, so slow Wi-Fi. I use TP power lines but not much use to my iPads.

Reading the reviews of mesh units all have pros and cons. Still havering over what to get

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:00 pm 

I run Ethernet around the house and strategic switches to branch it out but yeah, some things are wifi only.

Computer Shopper magazine recommend TP-Link Deco M5 at £230 Curry's (five stars) and Google Wifi at £189 from Google (four stars). They add that the TP-L can be fiddly to set up but is then feature rich (whatever that means) and the G is user friendly but slow (if I read it correctly).

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

I use the VM Superhub 3 and I regularly get WiFi speeds over 100Mb down. They aren’t all shite.

iPad

iPhone

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 pm 

Good grief. That is rarer than a multi coloured unicorn if the Virgin forums are to be believed

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am 

I had similar speeds back at my own place, I switched to plusnet and it didn’t seem much different-sometimes faster.

Jonah wrote:
I use the VM Superhub 3 and I regularly get WiFi speeds over 100Mb down. They aren’t all shite.

iPad

iPhone

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:46 am 

Our Sonos system is much more reliable too now.

loughor wrote:
davesoa wrote:
I’m on a Virgin cable

Me too, also on Ethernet for all that has a socket or can take an adapter. The SuperHub is modem only and I have my own TP-Link router. My iPhone and Pad seem to like the 2.4 GHz best so I let them get on with it as it is OK for my meagre demands. The Ookla app says 30.5 Mbps on 2.4 but 220 Mbps on 5 GHz over my 200 Mbps line, even with the slightly weaker signal.

I have been planning to relocate the router onto a wall more central to the house, from being tucked in a corner. One of my many jobs on my list.

Anyway, VM Hubs are a bit pants (just ask a VM engineer) so that might be a contributory factor. I think Sonos sets up its own mesh network but that's by the by.

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:59 pm 

Anndra
Can you set a static IP with the Orbi? Just about to press 'buy' and it occurred to me that my two laser printers need static IP addresses (otherwise they won't enter sleep mode).

Thanks

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 pm 

davesoa wrote:
Anndra
Can you set a static IP with the Orbi? Just about to press 'buy' and it occurred to me that my two laser printers need static IP addresses (otherwise they won't enter sleep mode).

Thanks

I haven’t done it, but using the web interface apparently you can.

Click Add under Address Reservation.

Flickr Photo Albums

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:17 am 

Thanks for your help. Went to Amazon to buy only to find the price had inexplicably risen from £250 to £300 overnight. John Lewis have an offer on Google Mesh WiFi, two for £198, so bought those instead. Reviews were good.

Unplugged my Apple Extreme and both units were very easy to set up using the Google app. Probably 20 minutes in total by the time updated software had been downloaded. It took me longer to set up static IP addresses on my printers.

Pros
Easy to set up.
Small, unobtrusive units.
Very good app with a reasonable amount of control over functions.
8 times speed increase in speed in the furthest reaches of the house.
No dead spots.
The TV and Apple TV could now use WiFi at 30mps though they are connected by a TP Link that provides a 50mps connection.

Cons
No faster than the Apple Extreme near the router but then I wasn’t expecting that.
Faster in the remote areas of the house, rising from 4mps to 30mps.
Handles multiple devices easily. Currently 10 connected and no discernible drop off in speed (but then neither did the Extreme).

Our Virgin cable connection is 100mps so, at the far end of the house, we are not getting anywhere near the cable speed. I’m not wholly convinced. £200 is a lot to spend when 4mps was tolerable on an iPad. I might be returning them but will give them a month.

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Re. a post above, I did move my router to a more central point but it didn't make much difference.

I got my old TP-Link router and set it as a range extender type thing in my back room, where I spend most of my time. Just a few setting tweaks - easy enough - and it uses the same SSID etc. The new router still does the main DNS type job (SuperHub is modem only). On my iPad, I get 129Mbps down and 12.2Mbps up over wifi (VM 200). You still need the Ethernet run though. The slave router also acts as a switch, so I was able to take another switch out of use. I'm sure something will go wrong but time will tell.

Board index » General