Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:26 pm 

If I go to my PB page in Safari, I get this:

If I use Firefox, I get this:

So what's wrong with Safari?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:00 pm 

It’s Photobucket being shoddy and not bothering to optimise their site for use with Safari.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

Jonah wrote:
It’s Photobucket being shoddy and not bothering to optimise their site for use with Safari.

Yeah, that would be my verdict. In addition, PB really are one of the very worst hosting sites out there. they didn't use to be but there's been a slide over the years, and a sudden steep decline 3 years or so ago when their site changed.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:29 pm 

Jonah wrote:

Ok, thanks for that.

Quote:
In addition, PB really are one of the very worst hosting sites out there.

It suits my limited needs for posting images in forums. Even my free account still works. :D

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:02 pm 

Dave Braine wrote:
Jonah wrote:

Ok, thanks for that.

Quote:
In addition, PB really are one of the very worst hosting sites out there.

It suits my limited needs for posting images in forums. Even my free account still works. :D

How long have you been doing that? Photobucket image links before a certain date are all dead now.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:47 am 

MacBiter wrote:
How long have you been doing that? Photobucket image links before a certain date are all dead now.

From other forums I frequent, I see photobucket have relented on forum links, but with a big Photobucket watermark on the picture. Old links are working.

See this posted in 2015
http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/inde ... ost-429703

iMac 27" (2010) i7 2.93 GHz quad core OSX 10.13
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS X 10.13.6
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am 

That forum4farming link is interesting, at the bottom of the last page there is a discussion about this - see
Quote:
I see Photobucket have given in and are allowing the pictures to be viewed .

Bog Man, Nov 10, 2018

post and below.

It seems these companies are all removing free links to images and I guess that's a one-way street for the future. Photobucket are now adding a large watermark to images.

We had a discussion about Dropbox hosting images a while back, but you may (or may not) know that Dropbox still allow you to host free images - but they no longer provide the necessary link directly.

Instead you have to change the suffix ?dl=0 to ?raw=1 yourself, once you have done that you can post the resulting link in this forum, enclose it with image tags and the forum software will recognise it and present the image for you.

Things are changing all the time with free online things, it seems now if you use the default dl=0 you have to sign in to a Dropbox account to be able to view it! Other options for the suffix are ?dl=1 and ?raw=1. dl=1 results in the file being downloaded to your computer.

That's how it is today anyway but this could change in the future. It's a minor faff to do it, but it's what I'm doing all the time these days and my forum images are still all hosted via Dropbox for me.

Alternatively of course if you can get a little area of the web with your own private domain you can host your own images there, probably not expensive - but at least if you have your own part of the web it's under your control and no one will take it away from you while you still pay for it.

Of course there is a major problem with hosting images on unreliable sites - if you have a lot of images hosted somewhere and then something changes - then all your previous images will be blue questionmarks from now on.

Image Not very nice to lose all your images in a forum.

I have a legacy domain which I acquired when I was with Eclipse Internet which is quite a few years ago now. They haven't deleted it and it's free. But it is very Small. I don't remember the limit but it's not much, it's in a few megabytes, perhaps 50MB if my memory serves me correctly but I have a feeling they are not monitoring it and if I go over it may not be noticed. I can still add stuff to it and delete stuff from it using direct FTP access, I use Captain FTP for that. I can still use it though - even though I'm no longer with the Eclipse Internet, they have left it alone, but it's a hassle trying to upload images to it and work out the link necessary, it's not provided directly.

Here's one of the images I have there: Image

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:08 pm 

Looks like that news station is running the Trump Blocker! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:44 pm 

Quote:
How long have you been doing that?

For ever.

Quote:
Photobucket are now adding a large watermark to images.

As you can see, there are no watermarks on my images.

Board index » General