Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:09 pm 

It's to happen in April 2019 so at least we had some warning. The worst aspect of it is that Dropbox update their software automatically, and there is no option to keep an out of date version for as long as it still works - they will 'sign us out' of the software in April and that's it.

I've investigated other solutions. iCloud Drive, OneDrive Sync, Google Drive, all require MacOS to be later than 10.9 (iCloud Drive is there when I login to iCloud but there's no Drive software on my Mac. Does anyone know of any free sync'ing cloud storage? It's the automatic sync'ing part I need now that Dropbox is to end support.

Alternatively, I can run Sierra via Parallels, but it's very hungry on resources to run 2 OS's all day long, especially as I only need to keep something like Dropbox going. I'd be perfectly content to run it once a day to allow it to sync any changes during the day, but I don't even know how possible it will be to migrate my Dropbox folder easily from Mavericks to Sierra, or even that Dropbox (or iCloud) will recognise an OS being run via a virtualiser.

Anyone got any helpful ideas?

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:02 am 

I can't find the sys reqs, but maybe pCloud?

https://www.cloudwards.net/review/pcloud/

https://www.pcloud.com/how-to-install-p ... ac-os.html

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:42 am 

That's a pisser. You can just copy your Dropbox folder across. If you put it in the usual place ~/ it will just use it directly after syncing, otherwise you can change it's location using Dropbox preferences, Sync, Dropbox folder location.

Even if you don't transfer your Dropbox folder to a new account, once you synchronise it will download everything again anyway, won't it?

I have a MacBook Pro and two Mac Minis. I suppose I could dedicate one of the Minis to run Sierra or later, instead of Mavericks since it's less important to me. I will keep my MacBook Pro on Mavericks I think, which is what I use for all my day-to-day stuff.

You could always buy a cheap secondhand Mini perhaps, use screen sharing and file sharing to access it directly from your iMac. Perhaps you could keep your Dropbox folder on your iMac and mount a share on the Mini, telling Dropbox to find the folder there. Slightly convoluted and maybe a little unwieldy but once done, and if it works, then that would give you direct access to your Dropbox Folder from Mavericks. If you do that you can have the share mount automatically on reboot by dragging it into the login items window.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am 

Take a look at Mega. 50GB free account available for macOS and iOS.

https://mega.nz

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 am 

BD - thanks. I've had a look, and pcloud makes past versions available. I've already seen that 3.1.1 has a minimum of 10.8 so I could keep trying until I find the last that Mavericks can use (perhaps even the latest??)

Jonah - thanks. I've downloaded Mega and created an account. If gives 50GB on free accounts! I will see how it compares with Dropbox.

Dave - thanks. We're both in the same boat it seems. A Mac Mini may be something I resort to if all else fails, but for now I have a couple of alternatives to try. Mega seems to offer file sharing as well as syncing and storage, so that's hopeful.
"Even if you don't transfer your Dropbox folder to a new account, once you synchronise it will download everything again anyway, won't it?" Not quite sure what you mean here? I only use Dropbox for two things:
1. synchronising important files FROM my Mac TO Dropbox as protection in the event of disaster befalling both Mac and Time Machine (fire; robbery)
2. share the occasional image or similar on forums such as this.
On Sierra I would be using Dropbox with my current DB account, but it would mean having to copy 2GB of data (probably thousands of files!) from my Mavericks DB folder to my Sierra DB folder. I suppose one way of avoiding that would be to have an empty skeleton DB folder (with a different name!) in 10.9 and add to that during the day; then copy its contents into my DB folder in Sierra so DB could sync it. Then delete the skeleton folder in Sierra and empty it in 10.9.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 pm 

Update: I've set up accounts with both Mega and pcloud (the latter only gives a maximum of 10GB free, but that's already 3 times what I had with Dropbox).

I haven't actually put anything in the drives yet to see how good they are, but I've 4 months to play around with them!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

Well you get 15 GB with Mega don't you, another 35 on trial.

Let us know how it works out - can you host images on it for example?

As I have an installation of Sierra on another partition on my MBP I might experiment with putting the Dropbox folder in the Shared folder to host my current images and anything else, and then I can update it easily from Mavericks and it will be synchronised with Dropbox each time I run Sierra.

At least that way I can hang on to DB and still use it to host my legacy images. I might consider Mega or something else for future use.

PS: regarding your query about synchronisation. Yes I understand you use it as a backup for important documents and to host images, those uses are my principal uses as well. If you set up DB on another computer with the same account details it will download everything into your new DB folder onto that computer, won't it? That's what I meant. You don't actually have to copy the DB folder yourself, it will do it itself as soon as it runs! The only reason I suggested copying the Dropbox folder initially is that it takes up some time to download off the Internet - but it depends on the speed of your connection. Just a matter of waiting for it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

I got 50Gb with Mega when I opened my account. No trial or other thing necessary.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:11 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Well you get 15 GB with Mega don't you, another 35 on trial.

Let us know how it works out - can you host images on it for example?

Yes, the free account is "only" 15 GB the rest is made up of "bonuses" which expire after varying times.

iMac 27" (2010) i7 2.93 GHz quad core OSX 10.13
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS X 10.13.6
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 pm 

It's a moving feast. MEGA Wikipedia

Quote:
The service was previously noted for a large 50 GB storage allocation for free accounts. However, this was reduced to 15 GB, with additional amounts offered only on an expiring trial basis.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 pm 

Leewave wrote:
As I have an installation of Sierra on another partition on my MBP I might experiment with putting the Dropbox folder in the Shared folder to host my current images and anything else, and then I can update it easily from Mavericks and it will be synchronised with Dropbox each time I run Sierra.

At least that way I can hang on to DB and still use it to host my legacy images. I might consider Mega or something else for future use.

PS: regarding your query about synchronisation. Yes I understand you use it as a backup for important documents and to host images, those uses are my principal uses as well. If you set up DB on another computer with the same account details it will download everything into your new DB folder onto that computer, won't it? That's what I meant. You don't actually have to copy the DB folder yourself, it will do it itself as soon as it runs! The only reason I suggested copying the Dropbox folder initially is that it takes up some time to download off the Internet - but it depends on the speed of your connection. Just a matter of waiting for it.

I may do something similar, as I can run Sierra within Mavericks in a virtualiser (Parallels) - I could download Dropbox there and wait for it to download as you say.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 am 

Well as you already run Sierra via virtualisation you could always just add your Dropbox account within that and login to it and see if it will work.

Can you host images via Mega? In other words do they just give you a direct link or is it more like Dropbox do now where you have to go via the webpage? If they don't give you a direct link it won't work for images in this forum.

And with all these changes the companies make - as soon as they change something they break the old image links of course. Not that it's a huge problem - except for me I've posted a lot of images and it makes my previous posts somewhat less useful if you can't see what I'm talking about.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:17 pm 

Well, after some faffing, I have now moved my Dropbox folder from my Mavericks account to the Users>Shared folder. Dropbox initially objected, (Are you sure?) but went along with it.

It has now been linked and synchronised from my main Mavericks user account. I've also set up Dropbox with the same DB account details in my Sierra partition using the very same Dropbox folder in the Mavericks>Users Shared folder. It took a lot of messing about because once you've got an existing Dropbox folder in a certain location, Dropbox won't allow you to use it directly because it says there is already a Dropbox folder there!

So I had to rename it, start a new synchronisation which generated a new Dropbox folder, then stop the synchronisation, then physically move the files from the old renamed folder into the new Dropbox folder - and finally delete the old DB folder. Then it synchronised ok, which took a few minutes but it was happy in the end.

So the result is that I have just one Dropbox folder situated inside my Mavericks Shared folder with two different OSs using it - but quite happy now and up-to-date in each - so that means I can actually use it from either OS. So I'm sorted for the witching hour in April.

I wonder if you can get Dropbox running from your Parallels virtualisation of Sierra? Will it work?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm 

Leewave wrote:
I wonder if you can get Dropbox running from your Parallels virtualisation of Sierra? Will it work?

Apparently yes, according to the Community Forum at Dropbox.

As I run Sierra within Mavericks (but only occasionally), what I will try is to initially download Dropbox in Sierra, and allow it to download the Dropbox folder.

The complication is that all the files I update and need syncing are in the Mavericks DB folder. There isn't an easy way that I know of to sync that with the Sierra version. The only way I can see to do it (quickly, i.e. not having to copy / replace the folder every day) is to have a 'dummy' DB folder in Mavericks with only empty folders in. Then I could dump files into those folders as I change them, then once a day login to Sierra, move the changed files there so they can sync online. Obviously I could only do this after they switch me off, as an empty DB folder in Mavericks now would delete all my files in the online DB !

* another complication - some files in my Dropbox folder are symlinks to files in my user Library. Those won't exist in Sierra, but SOME of them (Contacts, Safari bookmarks, etc) are well enough covered by iCloud so they could be deleted from Dropbox.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:45 pm 

I don't see why you have to copy or replace folders every day, and having a dummy DB folder in Mavericks with empty folders doesn't seem to be a good idea, I guess that won't work.

The method that I have tried today seems to be very effective but it isn't really necessary. The shared folder is a very useful place to do that, I guess you could use that method if the accounts have different short usernames but I'm not sure. Anyway all my personal accounts use the same short username to simplify cross communication.

Using symlinks, if they work, seems quite a good idea although I'm not sure if you really need to have those items on Dropbox, standard backups should be more appropriate. I assume they do work for you since that's what you're doing. Another instance on the same DB account could give you problems though, it might delete the symlinks. But using symlinks might throw a spanner in the works. As you say you have iCloud backup but surely you may also have Time Machine backup or a clone too - so why do you need to do that, is there any real benefit?

I decided to have everything in the Dropbox folder with no exclusions, there is only one DB folder now on my MBP used for both OS instances of Dropbox. It is backed up by Time Machine as well since the Shared folder is included in the TM backup. I also run Dropbox on my two Mac Minis, so there is plenty of duplication anyway, and the TM back up insures against accidental deletions.

As I mentioned, when it comes to sharing a DB folder from two different places, Dropbox will complain on initial installation - when it sees that there is an existing DB folder. I fixed it by renaming and copying stuff across as stated above. However doing that is not really required, I just did it because I could, and I wanted to see if it was possible, I try to do things in an efficient (even if complicated way!) and sometimes look for the boundaries of the possible.

If you just keep a separate DB folder in Sierra as well as a another DB folder in Mavericks - there is no need for all that complication. Both DB folders will be duplicates of each other so space needed will be twice what is strictly necessary, but they will both be independent in their own OS and functioning in the way that Dropbox intended. That's surely the easiest way. You can have as many computers as you like on the same DB account connected to their own DB folders with the same data in them. There is no limit as far as I know.

Also, the reason I have suggested copying the files with Finder from an existing Dropbox folder when setting up a new installation is because it might take an awfully long time to download several gigabytes of data from the Internet at Dropbox limited sync speeds - whereas copying it directly and synchronising it afterwards is much quicker. But then I'm still in the Stone Age and I only have 7.5 Mb/s Internet! I don't think DB will allow very fast speeds for synchronisation, (I stand to be corrected) as it appears that even selecting nonlimiting download speeds in DB preferences > Bandwidth doesn't seem to give the full whack.

Board index » General