Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post subject: Online storage/backup
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 pm 

I have been using a free online backup service for a long time. A way to get some few files that are super important off-site, and away from theft, fire, flood, earthquakes and other disasters.
But they have just been bought by a company that will charge for the service. And I'm spoiled.

I have need for very little storage capacity, and research has come up with a well reviewed service: pCloud.
Anyone use pCloud's free offering, and can recommend it? Or the "opposite"?
Thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:43 pm 

Dropbox perhaps?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 pm 

I'm just switching to pCloud as Dropbox stop supporting Mavericks next month.

Pros: you get more free space than Dropbox (5GB rising to 10GB as you 'unlock' more features); seems easy enough to use; will sync from anywhere on your computer rather than requiring a dedicated client-side folder (can see all your syncs via Preferences); sync speeds seem at least par for the course; will send you emails to help with technical problems that may arise.

Cons: only syncs folders not individual files; can't handle either symbolic links or aliases, even if put into a folder; there's no user community.

I'm happy enough with their service so far, though I'm a relatively new user. Oh, and there's a mobile app too, which will unlock 1GB of the locked space.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 pm 

Used the free pCloud for quite awhile, now have a 500GB Lifetime account, so have been happy with them, but I hate auto syncing, I use Drag & Drop.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:03 pm 

I don't like the way Dropbox works. My files cannot be kept in a single file; they need to be in a logical/hierarchal order.

"only syncs folders not individual files"
Did not know that; thanks for the heads-up. Not so great, but will find a way to deal with that. My present service could be used to back up individual files.

I'll be giving pCloud a try.
Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am 

Two I use alongside Dropbox are...

Mega

and

Box

Both let you have free accounts.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:34 am 

This morning, when I turned on my computer, I nearly had a heart attack. And I'm too young for that.

The folders that I had backed up to my pCloud Drive, had simply disappeared from my computer. Then I realized that these folders had been moved from where I keep them to the pCloud Drive. This means that pCloud works exactly the same way as Dropbox: one needs to move folders to a specific location in order for them to be backed up.
This isn't what serves me.

My old backup service worked completely differently. One could simply designate files and folders to be backed up, from anywhere on the hard disk, and that's what would happen: they would be backed up. The files on the hd remained in place.

Jonah, does Mega or Box work this way? Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 pm 

I'm sure you know that iCloud and OneDrive keep local copies and mirror them onto their cloud and other PC/Mac machines also running the service. Both give 5GB free. You say you have "very little storage capacity" requirement but is that big enough?

I had accrued 40GB on OneDrive from historic use (though I use maybe 4GB) as it was given with any MS account, like Skype. I now have a ridiculous 1TB (free) as I have a shared of Office 365 from my daughter but that is irrelevant, sorry.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:39 pm 

Gail wrote:
Jonah, does Mega or Box work this way? Thanks.

They work in a similar way to Dropbox I’m afraid.

If you just want a cloud back up solution then try BackBlaze. It is a paid for option I’m afraid, currently $5.00 a month, soon to be rising to $6.00. It does however, just back up (copy) your data to the cloud and not move anything at all. You cannot access or work on any files, it’s just a straight back up solution. This may not be what you are looking for though.

You can specify what you want or do not want backing up but it does default to your entire hard drive and any external hard drives you may have attached - except TimeMachines drives.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:05 pm 

@loughor
I need only 1-2GB, to back up a few important files which I cannot live without.

Questions which will indicate my ignorance:
1. Apple’s iCloud can be used only for Apple-related files, correct?
2. Microsoft's OneDrive can be used only if one owns Microsoft's products, correct?

If correct, this negates using the two above-mentioned services.

After this morning's scare, I completely removed pCloud from my computer. But I need to look at it again.
I had read that one of the ways to choose files for backing up was to drag-and-drop them into the pCloud Drive on the computer. I now see that that process was not a ”symbolic” one; it actually moved the files to that location. But I believe that I read that that was only one way to designate files for backing up. Perhaps there is another one, the one that I am looking for: simply navigating to a file and choosing it for backing up.

Do you say that having a Skype/Microsoft account enables one to use OneDrive? If so, does it work in the manner that I have outlined? I use Skype, and therefore have a MS account.

@Jonah
I am looking for only straight back up, not for working on files or collaborating. Simply want a few files backed up off-site.
I had such a lovely free service; I'm looking for the same.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:15 pm 

Anyone use Google Drive?
Ah, I see that only certain file-types are supported.

Last edited by Gail on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 pm 

1. iCloud It can store anything. Word/Excel and so on.
2. OneDrive backs up anything put into the designated local folder. I have iWorks, all sorts of pictures, some MP3s, M4A, AVI videos - anything.

There are plenty of 'how to' you can search. Here is just the first I got https://www.lifewire.com/set-up-microsoft-onedrive-for-mac-2260846

You can set either up to use Files in iOS (as well as the OneDrive app) so you can get at the files that way. Check your Skype account works - sign in here https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-gb/.

What you can't do is link to an image from a forum but you can share files if needs be.

I don't trust Google. Maybe unfounded, but there it is.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:01 pm 

OK, well...

I've managed to use pCloud without having to move/copy anything. By browsing my hd and choosing files for backing up. No desktop app/client is required for this.
Only thing is: it requires using my browser to do the work. Aside from that being a pain, it does work rather elegantly.

I'll stay with this until I find something along the lines of my previous (actually current for another six weeks) software. It installed a menulet with a command "Back Up Now". Doesn't get any easier than that. And I would love to find an alternative which has such an ease-of-use.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:09 pm 

Gail, that is the way I use pCloud, I look at it like having complete control rather than a pain.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 pm 

Yes, I agree, the control is there.
But, as I see it, each time that I want to back up, I need to browse my hd for the files. The files are not tracked, are they? I cannot just click on a command "Back Up", without browsing to the individual files.

So that's the pain to which I refer.
I had such a simple and elegant solution to backing up a few files. I'm spoiled rotten.

Board index » General