Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » General

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm 

@MacBiter
"Cons: only syncs folders not individual files"

Curious: I have the "opposite" happening. Impossible to choose a folder; must select individual files for uploading.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:45 pm 

Well, I'm at a loss as to why I wouldn't know exactly which files I thought needed backing up and/or where they are!???

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:52 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Well, I'm at a loss as to why I wouldn't know exactly which files I thought needed backing up and/or where they are!???

Sorry, but your post is lost on me. I don't understand it. I don't know to what you are referring.
And perhaps a lack of punctuation is complicating matters?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:35 pm 

I apologize... I did catch heck in school for my sentence construction.

I was trying to say that I know what files I want backed up & where they are, since I'm creating or using them.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm 

I understand. And yes, Of course.
It's just that, each time, one needs to navigate/browse to them.
Since I wish to back up the same files each time, it is a pain to have to navigate to each file each backup session.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:37 pm 

If that is truly necessary, why don't you just make a folder then add symlinks to those items? Open the folder and synchronise through the symlinks.

Then all the navigating only has to be done once and you won't have to re-do it.

I use a handy little service that is added to the contextual menu services menu called SymbolicLinker

Right-click on the file in question, go to the Services menu and choose Make Symbolic Link and it will generate a symlink in the same directory. Move the symlink to the new folder you want to keep it in.

The sym link is named with the same name as the file in question with an added suffix symlink, but you can rename it yourself to anything else more convenient if you want to.

It's free, it works well, and it works in Sierra.

:idea: From the Installation Instructions.rtfd that comes with the .service file -
Quote:
4. Choose "Make Symbolic Link" from this contextual menu. If an error occurred while writing the link, then you'll get an error message explaining the problem. If not, then you now have a symbolic link.

That's it! You now have a symbolic link to the file. You can move this link to any place on your local disks and rename it with any name you want. You can even remove the "symlink" suffix and the file will continue to be a symbolic link. Just don't move the original file after making the link! Symbolic links refer to linked files by path name instead of an ID number, so if the original file is moved, then the link will break. If it breaks, then you will have to make the link again from its new location.

Currently, SymbolicLinker only supports making links with absolute paths instead of relative paths.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm 

Thank you very much for drawing my attention to symbolic links. I had only seen passing references to symbolic links, probably in this forum and probably from your posts! But I had never touched them before.
I have installed the software now, and will certainly take advantage of them in the future.

I continued to do research on backup services, and realized that there was quite a difference between online storage and online backup. Dropbox, and others, fall into the former: online storage. But what I need/want, and what I have been using, is an online backup service.

And now – dumb me! – I realize that I have such a service already paid for but never before used. Not used, because I have been using a perfectly good service for some years now, and haven't needed it. I purchased it, in fact, as a backup for my present service, should that service ever go belly-up. And forgot about it. And it was purchased at a ridiculously low lifetime-price through StackSocial. And it has even more, and advanced, tools than my present one. So it is dormant no more, but now dominant. And I have 1TB storage. And need only about 3GB.
And, of course, it works like any true backup software: one just designates which files/folders are to be backed up. No moving of files needed. And backup by schedule or a "Back Up Now" command in its menulet. Yea.

Again - thanks for your advice. It brings aliases back into my life. Now I need to find a good reason to use them. I’ve kind of forgotten why/where/when I once did!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:49 pm 

Gail wrote:
This morning, when I turned on my computer, I nearly had a heart attack. And I'm too young for that.

The folders that I had backed up to my pCloud Drive, had simply disappeared from my computer. Then I realized that these folders had been moved from where I keep them to the pCloud Drive. This means that pCloud works exactly the same way as Dropbox: one needs to move folders to a specific location in order for them to be backed up.
This isn't what serves me.

That's a failure of pCloud to explain adequately how the service works. There are TWO aspects - the Drive and Sync.

1. The Drive : anything you put in here is MOVED from your computer, as you found out. It's a way to store things in the Cloud if you don't have room on your device.

2. Sync : I use this the way I used Dropbox; whatever you sync with pCloud still lives on your device, but anything in the relevant folder that you change, add, or delete, will be sync'd with that folder in pCloud.
You add new folders from anywhere on your Mac to sync via the Sync button in Preferences. Like Dropbox, it gives you 30 days to go back in time and restore previous or deleted items.

It's specifically the Sync feature that lets you keep stuff on your device as well as being in the pCloud Drive. Hope that helps.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:49 pm 

Thanks.
It would help if I was using pCloud. But I have abandoned it in favor of dedicated backup software.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 pm 

Gail wrote:
Thanks.
It would help if I was using pCloud. But I have abandoned it in favor of dedicated backup software.

I use Time Machine for that.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am 

TimeMachine is great for a locally-based back up software. I use it alongside Carbon Copy Cloner for doing two exact daily clones.

Gail wants an online back up service which is not based at her location and luckily has found a solution which works for her. I also have the same layer of back up protection for which I use BackBlaze.

TimeMachine works but not when you want a back up solution which is not based at your location.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:22 pm 

Jonah wrote:
Gail wants an online back up service which is not based at her location and luckily has found a solution which works for her. I also have the same layer of back up protection for which I use BackBlaze.

TimeMachine works but not when you want a back up solution which is not based at your location.

I get that, but the online backup services (which range from 2GB Dropbox to 15GB Google, free) are enough to store my personal documents, databases, diaries, SMALL pictures, contacts, bookmarks, etc - but as soon as you start looking at music, iPhoto, movies, etc, they need hundreds of GB of space in all. There's no free backup service that will cover that, so TM and clone have to do.

Even if I paid for it, it would take days to upload everything.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:43 pm 

You have to use whatever solution suits best and TimeMachine does that for you.

I have opted for BackBlaze as an extra layer of protection to cover the worst case scenario. Hopefully it will never be needed.

It does take ages to upload everything. It took over 5 weeks to upload all my data to BackBlaze. My iMac is left on all the time anyway so it wasn't too much of an issue.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 pm 

Jonah wrote:
It took over 5 weeks to upload all my data to BackBlaze.

:o

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:18 am 

Apparently that isn't unusual. It was about 2.5Tb of data.

The incremental back ups happen daily and silently in the background. I haven't had to worry about forcing BackBlaze to back up. I have checked the back ups and downloaded test restores and it works well.

Board index » General