Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm 

Having taken a great deal of video using a canon camcorder in AVCHD instead of MP4 it fails to play on the Imac until it is converted to Mp4 via Wondershare converter which is fine. But I was wondering why it is, when the converted Mp4 is downloaded to my Samsung S2 Tablet using Android file transfer, it plays but there is no sound it says that the codec is wrong. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm 

Don't know, but you might try using Handbrake or possibly MPEG Streamclip to convert it to MP4. They are both free Mac applications and you have a good degree of control over the quality and type of the sound and video conversions. I have found that Handbrake in particular is pretty easy to use and generally doesn't mess up. There are other folks on the forum who know much more about this video malarkey!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 am 

Another good free media converter is Adapter from Macroplant. I've had more success with it that Handbrake. Probably because there are fewer settings to get wrong. https://macroplant.com/adapter

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:33 am 

I used to install Perian for situations like this, it contains lots of additional codecs that allow you to play video formats without the hassle of conversion into another format. I've no idea if Perian has been updated to make it compatible with newer systems - although I don't know if your iMac is running the latest OS, so might be OK.

Another suggestion is to install VLC, a free video player that can play a lot of video formats that QuickTime on its own doesn't support. Worth a try.

Edit: yep, it seems that Perian has been retired now [ http://perian.org ] but I would still try installing VLC which I've found to be extremely handy in playing lots of video formats including AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4 etc

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm 

Thanks for all the advice. I was just about to try a few when I noticed an app called MX player on the tablet, this did the trick and played both AVCHD and Mp4 converted from AVCHD with sound. I have always wondered why Macs
do not allow AVCHD to be played easily. Do Windows computers, not that I ever want one?
Imac 10.12.6 27"

Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:09 pm 

I think VLC can play just about anything on either platform. It's probably a codec thing Apple don't want to pay to license.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 pm 

Instead of converting, with the possibility of some loss in quality, you might want to try rewrapping, which simply changes the container from AVCHD to .mov/m4v with no loss of quality. I've used this a few time without any problems:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39800/rewrapavchd

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:49 pm 

I don't get the codec technology.

I recently downloaded a video in .avi format, and - for the first time - VLC couldn't play it. The uploader offered a codec for the video - but I was not willing to download it.
Actually, I did download it - I just didn't run it (the installer).

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 pm 

Any help?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 pm 

Yes! I understood (some of) it.
I now understand that what I have always referred to as the "file format", isn't a file format. It's a designation of a "container". So .avi isn't a format - like .jpg or .txt or .doc. are. So that much is nice to understand.

I'm getting there.
Thanks.

Board index » Technical Help