Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:48 pm 

Has anyone else had or heard of this? My iPad Pro 10.5", bought last year, developed a bright spot just over 1" above the Home button in portrait mode. On a bright screen it glares at me (as a glitch rather than in the manner of a LED torch). I did a search and it seems it is happening a lot to this model and vintage. I'll be taking it back the seller tomorrow and am prepared to wipe it before leaving it (I can restore from the fresh iCloud backup). I don't know if it is a new screen or unit swap. I suppose that is up to them in the first instance as it is about eight months old and they get to do one repair.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:39 pm 

Quote:
The issue is called "dirty screen effect". It's particularly jarring on bright even-colored pages during scrolling.

Seems like it's a common issue with the 10.5 displays... I realized my 10.5 Pro had this issue one week after I got it. It's pretty darn impossible to unsee once you've spotted it.

Quote:
I had a bright spot on my 10.5 too, really evident on white backdrops.

Took my iPad to the Apple Store and they replace it no questions asked.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/br ... n.2115037/
Quote:
I read numerous complaints about this on Reddit a little while back and ignored it but I’ve just switched my iPad on for the first time in a little while and it’s happened to me. I’m one month out of warranty. I’ve babied this thing and I’m pissed.

Basically it’s just a bright spot a couple of inches above the home button, particularly visible in portrait mode.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/br ... on-on-10-5”-ipp.2136430/

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 am 

Yep. That's the kind of stuff I found. It must be a known issue.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:54 am 

It is with Curry's/PCW for assessment. Repair or replace, they said. I'll see in a week-ish. I miss it already.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:26 am 

Yes, it's a known issue.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:19 pm 

Being without the iPad is really uncomfortable. I keep wanting to reach for it to read the library e-magazines or a quick sudoku or two, not to mention the other uses.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:55 pm 

Why did you take it to Currys/PCW to get fixed?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:03 pm 

Because I bought it from them and under the Consumer Rights Act and other guarantee conditions, they get one go to fix before having to replace or refund yadder yadder. Apple are no use as they are over fifty miles away and with driving, parking (and fees) then a hike to the Mall, well, bugger that.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 pm 

Just wondered. Can't say I blame you going back to them but I always take any Apple product to an Apple Store no matter where I've bought it from.

Surely a trip to the mothership is worth it though?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 pm 

I love an Apple shop. I don't even vaguely like Cardiff, let alone the M4. If I had taken it there then I'd have likely had to go back to retrieve it later unless they did an instant swap. C/PCW is less that a ten minute drive and there is plenty of parking. I usually go to Bath once a year and get to gawp in their Store.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:28 pm 

I checked on their site and it has been 'repaired'. A bit light on details (did you see what I did there?). It is due back in the shop next Tuesday. I suppose I'll have to wait and see if that means I can inspect it then or the next day. That's a big delay on transportation. That's a negative for customer satisfaction.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 pm 

I was given a replacement iPad. It was in a slim box with a booklet explaining it was a new one via AppleCare. It has a different model number on the back so hopefully from a batch without the faulty screen.

Mostly restored from my iCloud backup but first it had to update to iOS 12.1.4, which was understandable and annoying. It refused to update my purchases with "The operation couldn't be completed SSServererror Domain error -5000" so I'll look into that later. I'm sure it will be OK.

Glad to have an iPad again.

--edit-- Oh yeah, C/PCW said they tried to call me and I just rang off. This is probably because they called while withholding their number. I have a block on all such calls. I'll remember to warn them (or others) upfront if there is a next time.

Board index » Technical Help