Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skype
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 pm 

I'm currently running Skype 7.36 (507) Which is fairly recent, I'm not sure if it's the absolute latest one. It's okay. It's working well and it's not a big hassle really. I would prefer to use the older version that I used to have but that's impossible now. I give up.

I also hate change for change's sake, but it's being driven by the software guys, they want to sell you more stuff - they want to change things because it's their job to change it, they won't get a pay rise unless they can get more from you. It's Crap really but there it is. If it's free, then we'll be sure to föck with it.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:57 pm 

I'm sure you'll get forced to v8 eventually.

I'm not quite so mad now as I have managed some limited action but vert limited. May daughter just said (in essence) suck it up or quit it. I've know that all along. I guess it is now part of Office 365 so styling is to keep it in line. Not using Office of any version at all, I'm probably making that up. No ads, though, which was a worry.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 am 

Well …

Microsoft have signed me out of Skype this morning, saying I must upgrade.

There is no obvious way to upgrade that I can see without buying office 365. Is that true?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 am 

So I've managed to download the latest version and opened it. Oh my God. So far it hasn't asked me for money. But it's ugly as hell. Does anybody know, are MS insisting on payment for this? Oh are they planning to?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:58 am 

There is no requirement to pay as far as I know. I think the credit facility is more prominent as you get "free" credit with Office 365 and it is really part of that now, just available separately for now. I can't say for their future plans.

It is aesthetically horrid on Mac in v8 compared to v7. I have got more used to it's workings and can type-chat to my little dears, but there's things you can't do (like pull out a chat to a secondary window).

I can't speak for the iOS version but from what I have seen and heard from Android users, it is barely useable. Probably the current standard Windows design ethos.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm 

Jeepers. There are stronger words that I could use.

Copying and pasting the conversation does not now include dates properly. In fact the whole thing is a complete mess. Unfortunately I am relying on it at the moment but may find a way to wean myself off it.

Any recommendations for other apps that do this sort of thing, text conversations in particular? I know there are others - but who's got any recommendations?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 pm 

There are bad words in my head but I like these forums so want to stay :D

I use Skype as my kids have and use it (and my sisters). If I quit it, I'd be out of touch. The only one my daughter uses as well as Skype is the Friendface one but I won't go near that. What you use depends on what the other person has. iMessage is good with iOS/Mac users but my darlings are all Android so that would go as text messages. That's the issue, compatibility.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:33 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Any recommendations for other apps that do this sort of thing, text conversations in particular? I know there are others - but who's got any recommendations?

Never having used Skype so can't compare but WhatsApp would be a logical cross platform alternative. Mobile, web and desktop versions available.

17" Macbookpro OS X 10.13.2
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 pm 

That's the one owned by Friendface. From what I read on Wikipedia, you have to give your mobile number as the username. Leewave: if you try WhatsApp, let me know how it goes. Nobody outside my family, friends, bank and the like gets my mobile number. Not even my doctor/dentist/etc. need to know. If an incoming call isn't in my contacts, it gets instantly blocked.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 pm 

What would happen if a family member was trying to contact you in an emergency from a different number than usual?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:47 pm 

They would normally use the landline but could send a text message warning me of incoming. They know this. I'm rarely out of the house and rarely get calls to the mobile. The ones I do get are spam - I look up the numbers. A withheld number rather gives them away.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:30 pm 

For Mac users: FaceTime. I often get a better connection with it than with Skype.
With it, one can get a FaceTime message (simultaneously) on your phone and desktop. An incoming message will "ring" on both. It uses your phone number and e-mail address on whatever is at hand. (It gets cute, when ringing is happening on more than one device at the same time! But you only need dive for one to answer an incoming call.)

For cross-platform: WhatsApp. Works great as a mobile app, but I've never used it with MacOS.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm 

You can't type in FaceTime. It isn't on Android or Windows. It doesn't compare with Skype.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm 

Leewave wrote:

Messages for text conversations. Ditto Twitter. Facebook for both text and video convos. Facetime for video. There may be others?

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm 

Never Facebook thanks. Messages I know about but the person you are talking to has to have a Mac.

I'm using Skype again with the latest marvellous version eight super always messed up version, and it does work. I was worried that they might now only include that in the office 365 thing because M$ update helpfully directs you to a page which includes NO link to download Skype for Mac! Instead it prominently suggests that you might get Skype via your office 365 subscription which is only 59.99 per year or something - isn't that great?

You have to go to a different Google search to find out where to download Skype for Mac. There must be a reason why they omitted it (I can't think why)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Technical Help