Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:05 am 

Ok.

I've connected the two in TDM. I have repartitioned the i7 HDD as it was empty.The SSD doesn't show up on the desktop but it does show up in DU so that's ok. I can therefore carry on with wiping the SSD or...

...do I have to bother wiping High Sierra from the SSD? Will it not be wiped as part of creating the fusion drive?

If I do have to wipe the SSD first, then I erase it and reformat it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - and presumably it doesn't matter what I call it, as it's going to be renamed as part of the fusion process?

So far, so good, apart from those few questions.

As far as installing Mavericks on the i7 is concerned, I seem to have two options:
1. Install it clean from the i5 via TDM, which will NOT take all night! in fact, not too long, as no data will be migrated at that point. THEN, at my leisure, use Migration Assistant to import my data from Time Machine while I continue to use the i5.

2. Create a clone of my entire i5 (can I put it on my Time Machine partition? It's the only space I've got for it). Then copy the clone to the i7 fusion drive, again via TDM.

NO, I WON'T BE USING TDM FROM THE i7!!!!! To repeat what I've already said, the only time I won't have use of a computer, is the basic installation if I go with 1., or not at all if I go with 2.

The only problem I've got with 2., is that CCC for Mavericks is only paid-for. Is there a trial version for e.g. 30 days, that I can use to create a clone, or could I just do it via DU, or the free version of SuperDuper!?

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 am 

No, it shouldn't be necessary to do anything with Disk Utility. Just go to Terminal and set up the Fusion drive - since you're using the whole of the SSD the Terminal commands should take care of it directly.

HS has a different disk map entirely doesn't it? Just select the whole of the device when you make the fusion drive, it should sort it out. To eliminate the APFS structure on the SSD you'd have to do more than just erasing it, you'd to have to repartition it into one - but the core storage software should cope with that as you will be selecting the complete disk for the FD, as envisaged anyway.

Seems more complicated! I don't know what is needed but as above you probably won't need to worry about it since you will be using the complete SSD for the Fusion drive.

I doubt that you will need to do anything more special than just choosing disk1 (as observed) for the FD in Terminal to remove the APFS structure, because you're going to completely re-use the whole disk. Just do as mentioned previously, boot the i7 into the i5 while it's in TDM for the initial part of the installation.

If you have any problems, (I don't think you will) read this. Delete Your APFS Partition the Right Way

If you want to use your i5 while the i7 is scarfing up its data then use the Time Machine backup as you said you would do anyway. Using that at the end of the installation process when asked is going to eliminate the need to make a clone of anything. Once the i7 is off and running on its own with its installation and is no longer running from the i5, you can then disconnect the FireWire lead and boot the i5 to get back on the forum.

Shouldn't be too hard.

:!: You ought to have a least one disk spare for things like this, and a copy of CCC is an essential part of my toolkit. It is top value for money to me anyway. I think in this instance you could probably just about get by without either, but starting without all the tools you need was always going to be problematic. But I think you'll manage just fine with what you have!

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 pm 

Looking forward, once the i7 is doing its thing running your current system, you will not need the i5 to be running a copy too. Naturally you will want one computer for this, not two.

If you want to continue to use your Time Machine disk without starting a new backup, you'll have to look at how to inherit a previous backup for your new computer. There is discussion about this on Pondini's website. Start here - http://pondini.org/TM/19.html

Personally I would erase the Time Machine disk and start a fresh backup.

Regarding CCC, as far as I'm aware version 3.5.7 does not require you to pay for it, it's now unsupported software. It does work for Mavericks perfectly well as far as I can see, but I wouldn't rely it on it for anything higher. You can use it for any length of time without registering it - I believe, that was always Mike Bombich's philosophy in the beginning anyway. If I'm wrong about that, well then I'm wrong. But I think it's a small fee to pay for top quality software, how else can we expect developers to produce excellent software in the future.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm 

Oops, just had (another) thought...

I couldn't use a clone anyway, as simply copying the clone to the new FD wouldn't assign the System and Applications to the SSD part would it - it would just be hit and miss which part of the FD got used for what?

So I'll stick with the original plan:
1. create the FD via TDM as per your instructions
2. Install Mavericks clean on the FD via TDM (the only stage where I won't be able to use either computer)
3. Disconnect TDM, and connect Time Machine to the i7 to copy Users, Applications, Settings, across - and will I have to instruct the Migration to put Applications on the SSD?
4. Install Sierra on the small partition as and when I feel like it.

IF creating the FD doesn't wipe and reset the file system on the SSD, then I'll just have to go back a step and repartition it into 1 as you said.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm 

I thought you would've done it by now!

No you don't have to worry about where the Applications folder goes, did you not appreciate that the fusion drive does everything automatically? Have a look at this video again.

Video: Apple Keynote - Fusion Drive

And while you're at it the Fusion drive commands are as simple as 123. If you're not sure print out the post I made on the previous page about the Terminal commands required.

Video: DIY Fusion Drive - Terminal commands

Towards the end of the installation the installer will ask you about copying over your data. Connect the Time Machine drive and select it for that. Otherwise, it will be harder to do it afterwards - it's better to do it during the primary installation and not as an afterthought.

PS I'm not sure if you realise this, but the fusion drive is automatic about where it puts stuff! The system and the applications folder and many other things are automatically kept on the fastest drive. That is in the definition of a fusion drive.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm 

Done that! I've created the FD (you were right - dead easy), then ejected it, powered off the i7 and powered it on again. Just a blank grey screen, so HS is gorn now.

Next step will be to install Mavericks on Fusion via TDM. (I copied that original upload of it from memory stick to external HD for speed ... but double clicking, it stuck on "Verifying..." forever with no chance to Skip or anything, so I will have to trust in my ESD installer cobbled together via instructions found on the internet, and hope it works for clean installs as well as "in place" installs - at least it gave me the Installer screen when I double clicked it!) Wish me luck.

Arrrgghh - disaster. The i7 will not now go into TDM so I can install Mavericks. I now get a grey folder with a blinking ? on it.

Could it be, that with no OS on the i7, it doesn't recognise the T key??? What do I do now?

Cancel that - my ESD Mavericks memory stick contains a simple installer, but holding down the Option key after inserting it, it was recognised even though not "bootable" as such, and Mavericks is currently installing on the i7.

Last edited by MacBiter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 pm 

It might be better to Make A Bootable Installer. You were talking about having your Mavericks installer on another disk but it needs to be made into a bootable installer - Then boot the i7 into it - Run the installer - Choose the fusion drive as destination - and take it from there...

Find a handy partition on an external drive somewhere. Using your working computer, make it into a bootable installer using Diskmaker X - The easiest way to make a bootable OS X disk

Download DiskMaker X 5.0.3 (6,3 MB) - OS X El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks Compatible version

Plug the Newly Built Installer disk into the i7, BOOT into it. The Mavericks installer should run. Run it.

Later on, plug-in your Time Machine drive into your i7 for access when the installer asks for data.

Don't worry!! It's coming together now! It will be done within an hour or two. It's all coming good now.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 pm 

See above - my "simple installer" on a memory stick, has been recognised and 10.9 is being installed. Presumably when Migration Assistant asks for data, I can put the i7 to sleep and do it tomorrow?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 pm 

Probably. It's not gonna go anywhere is it? But don't switch it off, I don't know if you can get back into it at the right place. Who knows? It would be better to do it here and now at the right time.

At the end of the installation the bit that requests the data is called Setup Assistant. It's not Migration Assistant. Migration Assistant is the after-the-fact program which you should avoid if you have the option of using Setup Assistant, as you will do in a new installation, as now.

You could always just start it on the TM data when it gets to that place right at the end and let it finish unmonitored. Overnight for example.

Pondini wrote:
A New Mac:

You can set up your shiny new Mac just like the old one, either directly from the old Mac, or from its Time Machine or "clone" backups.

It's best by far to do that when the new Mac first starts up. If you wait (to experiment with it first), you can still do it, but it's much harder to do without encountering some problems.

When your new Mac first starts up, you'll see prompts for your country and keyboard, and perhaps one to select your WIFI network, then one allowing you to Transfer Information to This Mac. That's Setup Assistant.

See Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion for details and instructions.

As noted there, if you transfer Computer Settings along with your other stuff, when you start the first Time Machine backup of the new Mac to the old Mac's backups, you should be asked if you want the new Mac to "inherit" the old Mac's backups (ie, treat them as if they were made from the new Mac). See Troubleshooting item #B5 for details.

If you elect to inherit the backups, the next backup will take somewhat longer than usual in the Preparing and Copying phases, but will only do a relatively small backup, of things changed since the backup you restored.

If you didn't get the prompt, or wish to change your mind, you may be able to cancel the backup and manually tell Time Machine to inherit the backups and "associate" the new drive with the old backups via the procedures in Troubleshooting item #B6. Troubleshooting item #B6

Pondini wrote:
If you use Time Machine, as soon as your Mac starts up again, turn Time Machine OFF. If it’s already started a backup, cancel it. Unless you back up to the old Mac's backups, the first backup will be of everything. And if anything didn’t transfer properly, it may be more difficult to recover if a new backup is completed.

If you back the new Mac up to the old Mac's backups, when the first one starts, you should get a prompt about using a different Mac's backups.

See: Would you like to inherit the backup . . .? The first backup may be a full one, or TM may say it's going to be a full one and run very, very slowly, but only do an incremental backup.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm 

Ok, I've connected my TimeM to the i7 (password protected, one of 3 partitions) but it can't seem to find it. :(
It just says "Looking for other sources..." endlessly

Last edited by MacBiter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm 

Password protected? I don't know, that's your problem.

Option 2: Put i5 into TDM, connect via FW cable. Select Mav on that instead.

Last edited by Leewave on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Password protected? I don't know that's your problem.

Option 2: Put i5 into TDM, connect via FW cable. Select that instead.

I could try that, but as I'm watching Blue Planet and then Howards End on iPlayer, I'll have to do it tomorrow, and meantime leave the i7 to endlessly "look for other sources".

Last edited by MacBiter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:37 pm 

Well it's going to have to keep looking then, and hope you don't get a powercut in the meantime.

You're watching them on iPlayer. What is more important? iPlayer you can come back to later. Your priorities.

Finish watching Blue Planet. Then do the transfer, then watch Howard's End tomorrow. Just a thought.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm 

I've Googled the problem. It seems that neither SA nor MA can read an encrypted TimeM (you'd think Apple would have thought about that one :( ). So I'm currently decrypting the disk and it will probably take all night (or longer), so I will try again then when it's finished.

Meanwhile the i7 appears to have gone to sleep, so that's one less worry.

Last edited by MacBiter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm 

Okay. I don't understand what your objection is to using your i5 for this overnight. But you seem quite adamant about that. I just don't understand why.

Anyway, from what I can gather things are going well now :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Help