Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Okay. I don't understand what your objection is to using your i5 for this overnight. But you seem quite adamant about that. I just don't understand why.

Anyway, from what I can gather things are going well now.

Not sure how I'd do that. I can't go into TDM while the i7 has finished the install but now wants to migrate data (no menus, no user, etc). I'll decrypt the TiM on i5 and do it that way. There's no rush. By the way, it took less than ½ hour to do the install!

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm 

Well it was done onto the Fusion drive, right?

I don't understand what you don't understand about it. Put the i5 into TDM, plug it in and then the i7 should be able to see it as a valid source of data. Yeah? Or has that got FileVault enabled? If so then I guess you're out of luck with that option too. You'll have to continue with what you're doing decrypting the TM backup. I guess that's pretty labour-intensive, let's hope the TM disk survives the stress.

Hopefully your i5 CPU can handle that while you watch Howard's End.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 pm 

Leewave wrote:
Well it was done onto the Fusion drive, right?

I don't understand what you don't understand about it. Put the i5 into TDM, plug it in and then the i7 should be able to see it as a valid source of data. Yeah? Or has that got FileVault enabled?

No - the i5 is not FV apart from one rarely used account.

The two Macs are still connected via FW - does the i5 have to be in TDM to be recognised by the i7? If so, I could do that overnight, especially as the TiM decryption is less than 10% after just over an hour. Will it have finished by morning do you think? Or when finished, are there other decisions that must be taken manually such as Restarts?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 pm 

Yes. That's that's exactly what I'm saying. Reboot the i5 into TDM when you can afford the time, connect it by FireWire cable to the i7, it should then appear as an option as "Another Mac".

Because to the i7 - it will just be a disk with a Mavericks system on it, won't it? Just the same as if it was a clone.

You'll be Mac-less for a while and unable to post back here until it's finished! :-)

Barring any further problems that should work just fine. It's what I suggested a long time ago but you said NO, Definitely Not, in CAPITAL LETTERS. ;)

But as the last task of the day you could start that running and then go to bed. By tomorrow morning it should've finished. In fact it won't take that long. It will be done in a couple of hours or so.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:23 pm 

Ok, going offline now, to try. If anything goes wrong, there's always iPad to get back on here ;) ...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:23 pm 

Marvellous!

If it all works out properly, you should start using the i7 as your current Macintosh now. You should stop using the i5 because otherwise the i7 won't keep up to date with it. With your emails - at least.

Only one of your computers must be the current one. You could always update the other via a clone if you needed to, but then you say you don't have any cloning software, so that's another problem. I think you mentioned SuperDuper, that will do a complete fresh clone for free, but it won't do incremental backups unless you start forking out a bit of your hard-earned cash. I think you must have a long Scottish lineage in your ancestry. :lol:

Going back to what you said about cloning onto a fusion drive. That's a perfectly valid thing to do. I suggested it a long time ago, but it seemed to go straight over your head, although I understood what you said about wanting to start with a fresh system and then importing your data afterwards.

During a clone the entire System and the Applications folder will automatically go onto the SSD, according to what Apple says anyway, and they should know. It works that way. The SSD will be kept full except for a 4 GB free area to allow fast writes to disk at SSD speeds. Frequently used data will be shuffled around as the Fusion software feels it is best suited to be on the SSD or the hard drive. All of that is automatic and dynamically maintained and you don't have to think about it at all. Just let it do its job and use it - that's all you have to do.

It would be nice if you could run the command diskutil list on the i7 in a new Terminal window (min. 78 chars wide, for formatting reasons), and post a screenshot here.

This is my MacBook Pro, a similar setup as you should now have on yours - with a small partition for Sierra.

After a day or so and a couple of reboots it will settle down - once it's updated all its stuff. Then subsequent reboots will be fast. And in subsequent use it will be much faster than it used to be on a hard drive alone.

Enjoy your new computer with the FD, the bigger disk, bigger memory and the faster processor!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 am 

All done!

Apart from two things...

1. I kept being asked to type my iCloud password, and saw the black dots appear in the password field as I typed it. Then it asked again, and again, and again. WTF? Then I noticed the Logitech keyboard - according to a dialogue box in the background - hadn't been recognised or whatever. So I followed the instructions, it connected, I retyped my password and all was well. BUT... HOW COULD I SEE THE BLACK DOTS IN THE PASSWORD FIELD IF IT HADN'T RECOGNISED THE KEYBOARD? Oh, and I'd successfully used the keyboard all through the installation process. Weird weird weird.

2. I made the stupid mistake of forgetting about iTunes 11, so whereas for my original installation of Mavericks I'd had iTunes 10 in its own folder in Applications, this time I hadn't done that so it just got overwritten. Have 'zapped' iTunes 11 on the i7 and just about to download iTunes 10.7. Needless to say I haven't launched iTunes yet!

Will hopefully be able to retire the i5 sometime today.

Oh, and I'm sure CCC is a very useful bit of software, but the amount of times I'd actually use it, the price they're asking is on the absurd side. I'd pay £15, but not more.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 am 

One other thing - when I launched Safari, all my windows and tabs (saying what the page was) opened, but none of the tabs actually loaded the relevant page, even when I clicked on them. I had to go into yesterday's History and restore them one by one.

I don't know why this happened, and I don't mind manually restoring my tabs ONCE, but I shall be greatly p*ssed off if I have to do this every day. :(

Oh, and did you know that iTunes 10.7 is no longer available from Support Downloads, even though 10.6.3 and 9.6.? are? I can copy it via memstick from the i5, and the preferences, but I'll be stuck with that stupid error message forever more when I launch iTunes. :( :(

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 am 

You still have iTunes 10 on your i5?

Try carbon copy cloner 357 see if you need to register it - then do a selective clone of the bits needed to replace iTunes 11 - or - ... You won't be stuck with a stupid error message if you reinstall iTunes properly using Pacifist but ask somebody else about that (BDAqua?) not me I've had enough.

iCloud passwords are a pain in the arse for me to especially on my iPhone but I use that less and don't understand why it keeps asking me for my sodding password all the time. It should settle down once you've given some effort to sorting them out.

You shouldn't have to fiddle about with Safari more than once or twice. Apple's new policy is to open applications which closed unexpectedly with all the windows open and that can occasionally be a pain in the arse. It only happens the first time. Quit Safari and reopen it you will find everything back to normal. Give it a day and see if everything settles down. It's bound to be in upheaval to start with.

I don't think these initial problems are representative of how it will be in the few days. But you can expect some trouble with the new system, but the problems you're experiencing are not related to it being on a fusion drive. These are software problems not hardware problems.

These are teething troubles and a result of installing with a new system from an old one which you have severely modified and tinkered about with ... The ball is in your court. Over to you. In a couple of days tell us if it feels faster. Post a copy of the terminal window diskutil list if you've got time.

Good luck

Last edited by Leewave on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am 

Here is my diskutil list:

The main problem I'm having now is with Time Machine. I was a short way through decrypting it (very very slowly!) yesterday evening when I decided to go with Dave's idea of using the i5 instead. The drive it's on is 3 partitions - 2 show up fine but the third (TM) doesn't, and is greyed out in DU and won't 'Mount'. This is obviously to do with it being partly decrypted, but I'm not sure what to do now. In diskutil (above) it's disk3s4, currently listed as Apple_CoreStorage.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 am 

You need to change the name of your i7 Mac. It's taken the name of your old one (As it should - but kinda confusing of course) Apple-Core-i5-Mac

Housekeeping! There is a lot of housekeeping to do initially.

What are disk3 and disk4? Are you still plugged in via TDM to the i5?
Don't understand what's on disk3. Or disk4. Are they external disks plugged into your i7?

As yet there is no recovery partition. Perhaps you will gain one if you install Sierra somewhere.

Disconnect. restart everything. start cleaning the house. Over to you. :D

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 pm 

Will change the name (Sharing?).

disk3 and disk4 are external HDs - Time Machine 2 is the 'belt and braces' from Snow Leopard, I suppose I could give that one up now, for a new backup disk. disk3 has the 'problem' partition, the partly decrypted 750GB Apple_CoreStorage that was the TiM I was using until yesterday : what to do about that?

I'm not connected to the i5, which is shut down now.

I will install Sierra to its own partition sometime, no rush.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:33 pm 

Yes. Computer name change: SP Sharing

Problem with Time Machine, you're probably better off erasing that partition altogether disk3s4, then start new backups. Because it's encrypted, I'm not sure what that involves. You're going to have to research that. You might have to do it using Terminal, or you might be able to do it with DU.

I'm pretty sure it will be easy enough just to erase that partition using Terminal. Or maybe not. :|

In your shoes I would clone the two partitions disk3s2 and disk3s3 over to other partitions somewhere else temporarily, then repartition the whole disk and start again - clone them back. Start a new TM. That's what I would do. But you don't have any cloning software :evil: Try CCC 3.5.7, see if you can use it without registering it!

Oh, and next time you need a bootable installer just use Diskmaker X to make one. Software has moved on a lot since OS 9 and SL. There are many things out there to help - DMX is just one of them, CCC is another.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm 

I'll have to Google that TiM issue, and if necessary delete that particular partition (if I can find out how to delete one partition out of 3!)

Many thanks for all your help and patience Dave. :)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:17 pm 

You're really very welcome Chris, don't worry about it, I enjoy the chat and solving problems and they give me a buzz. Sorry if I get grumpy sometimes!

_ _ _ _

Edit: Regarding deleting that corrupted core storage partition.

In Terminal, try diskutil cs list, copy the logical volume group ID of that rogue partition -

Then run diskutil cs delete (lvg ID)

However that's a risky manoeuvre, and if you value what's on the other two partitions, I would ensure that you have full clone backups of the other two partitions first. But if you're going to clone - you might more sensibly just give up on disk microsurgery and instead repartition and erase this disk, clone the stuff back (or save it somewhere else) - then start a new Time Machine backup as mentioned.

That's all, it's quite simple. But I do think that you like to do things in the most complicated way possible, you seem to have a strong aversion for the easy answers. :D

I believe you can make full clones using Superduper without paying for it, but it's not software I have ever used or have any experience of. CCC has a 30 day trial period. You might try version 357 without registering, I don't know if it will run or not, I guess it too would have a 30 day trial period - if it is not already free.

You can also do full and incremental clones using the Terminal command line. (Research)

If you don't enjoy headaches; loosen your wallet a little. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Help