Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm 

My iMac seems to be getting a bit slow and would like to know if its an easy job to upgrade it to a 1TB SSD, or would I benefit from keeping the original HD and having it configured to a fusion drive with the 1TB SSD and HD which is also 1TB.

If its a complicated job any recommendations in the Manchester area for Apple certified repairs. Have looked at Crucial SSD's and a 1TB SSD is about £265 so with any extra's and fitting Im looking to spend if its a difficult job for me (as in removing the screen) about £450 ish.

I would like a new iMac but not possible at the moment.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 pm 

On that model of iMac, unless you’re confident removing the glass and display, I would suggest asking an expert!

If looking for someone local in Manchester, I could recommend CS Systems in Old Trafford, they’re Apple Authorised Repairers so know what they’re doing. We use them at my current job for all our I.T. Support and I used them in my previous job for over 15 years.

If they ask, tell them Steve Harrington recommended them to you...
CS Systems: 0161 872 0921
Email: enquiries@cssystems.net
Ask for either Adrian or Barbara

Or, if you’re happy to send it further afield (appreciate not everyone is), there’s always our Darren:
http://www.macfixer.co.uk

Make sure you also have a backup before taking it in or sending it away.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:39 pm 

For that budget, could I suggest a 500GB SSD? I just created a fusion drive (with Dave's help :D ) from a 1 TB HD and 128 GB SSD, and it makes a YUGE difference over my previous Mac, and I'm sure the difference between i5 and i7 doesn't account for more than a fraction of the improvement.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm 

MacOS10 wrote:
Or, if you’re happy to send it further afield (appreciate not everyone is), there’s always our Darren:
http://www.macfixer.co.uk
Darren is not a problem but the distance in between is I would not like to trust whoever the carrier is to get it to him safely and back.

Yes the screen was my real concern as a DIY job, as stated the earlier ones had clips a lot easier to remove. I watched a video of a screen removal with the tape and its not for the faint hearted.

But I will get in touch with CS Systems.
Cheers Steve.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 am 

MacOS10 wrote:

If they ask, tell them Steve Harrington recommended them to you...
CS Systems: 0161 872 0921
Email: enquiries@cssystems.net
Ask for either Adrian or Barbara

Well Steve got in touch and Adrian answered my email. Very please with the price quote (and a Steve Harrington discount to boot thanks). I re-emailed him last thing tonight to clarify if I need a thermal heat sensor fitting. As Apple don’t allow third party hard drive access to the sensor, have read that you have to buy an adapter.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm 

Great, they’ll be able to sort the upgrade out for you, they’re a friendly bunch, even better if they gave you a discount!

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 pm 

One last query, I have read that I cannot use the thermal heat sensor from the old HD and need to purchase an external self adhesive one. It's to stop the system from thinking it needs more cooling and spinning the fans is this right.

Have seen this one for £40 an OCW on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWC-OWCDIDIMacHDD12-Digital-Thermal-27-Inch/dp/B00J42D5MK, is this what I'm after.

I don't want to take it in and find out I need this part would sooner have it and fitted to save time.

The guy that replied (Adrian) hasn't answered me on this question hence the query.

Board index » Technical Help