Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 pm 

I have a MacBook Pro as outlined in the thread title. It does the job I want but I was hankering for a bigger screen. Instant solution - get an iMac. Instant brain reaction - How much? (I was looking at the current model at just over £2k.)

I have a 24" HD monitor to which it is currently connected to see if I want to go bigger. I've dug out the old Bluetooth accessories and I'm now using it with the lid closed. It seems like a plan could be forming. A larger 4k screen. Apple says it will run 4k at 30MHz via HDMI, so that's the basic theory done.

I'd think 28" would be about right and a Dell S2817Q looks good and is currently £370 on Amazon. I've had Dell screens before and they have been excellent. I don't want to go nuts spending £1k. Keeping the MBPr means I can take it away with me so yet another score for the brain. I'd want to order a.s.a.p.

The question - does anyone know of anything technical that I should be aware of? It seems a simple proposition to me but then sometimes I can't see the bleedin' obvious.

Thanks for reading.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm 

It's $299 from Dell!

Appears to be good

£299 NRGIT

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Last edited by Leewave on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 pm 

Surprisingly low reviews for a Derll monitor over here...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-28 ... ccessories

https://www.pcmag.com/review/354934/del ... tor-s2817q

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 pm 

Thanks, both.

Leewave - it was £400 direct from Dell UK when I looked. That £299 one is refurbished, just for information.

Since I posted, I've slung my (relatively) old Creative speakers on and it is all now good except the keyboard. I'm used to typing on the laptop with backlit keys. I tried my Apple wired KB with number pad but I couldn't hack it so I'm on the Bluetooth one. Still inaccurate, but better hit rate. Nuts, as the layout and size is the same. I like backlit but can't do that externally (with hardware I have).

BDAqua - it hasn't got to be speedy, just clear/sharp and inexpensive, so there will always be compromises, especially at that price. Many reviews are based on PC gaming.

It seems it is a way forward, so that is the job for tomorrow morning: decide on a screen and order it. I try not to buy anything after partaking of any booze and tonight, I've had a low few units.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm 

OK - rethink here. I did some more searching.

One site I found, theultralinx.com, says that "You will get 4K at 60hz on ALL of these displays if you connect them via DisplayPort. Do not use HDMI".

Mine is a mid-2015 with no DisplayPort but it does have Thunderbolt 2. Would I be right in thinking that I could get an adapter such as this on Amazon and then be able to use a 4k monitor at 60hz?

I'm not good at these things.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

I *think Thunderbolt IS DisplayPort....

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 16GB RAM SSD/HDD Combo
Mac mini (Plex Server) ~ iPhone X ~ Livescribe 3
Apple TV 4 (64GB)

About.me/jcturner

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:52 pm 

That was quick :D

It isn't clear to me. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154 It says they look the same but looks can be deceptive.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm 

loughor wrote:
That was quick :D

It isn't clear to me. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154 It says they look the same but looks can be deceptive.

You're reading it the wrong way. Display port and thunderbolt 1/2 look the same. A display port isn't necessarily a thunderbolt port but a thunderbolt port will be display port compatible.

17" Macbookpro OS X 10.13.2
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm 

Quite possibly I am reading it the wrong way*. Which is why I'm asking. So you are confirming that I have a Thunderbolt 2 port which I can just slide a DisplayPort plug into and have it run a monitor "just like that". No adapter needed.

* Sometimes I have to read stuff several times before it makes sense as I see a word that is similar but different to what is actually written. It has always been thus but back in the day, we didn't have needs, we just got on with it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm 

A link that explains it clearly for me - https://www.cnet.com/news/confusing-mini-displayport-with-thunderbolt/

Quote:
Yadder yadder.... This means that while you can physically connect a Thunderbolt device to a Mac with DisplayPort, the device will not work, but if you connect a DisplayPort device to a Mac with Thunderbolt, then the device will work.

OK, I'm there now. I can use DisplayPort from my free TB2 socket. You guys are correct. Big thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 am 

It all arrived this morning. Plugged in and there it is - 4k through the Thunderbolt, just as you guys assured it would. Thanks.

It is such a big desktop now and tiny-wee yet so clear text in some windows. I will spend time tarting it up and zooming in.

The only problem is that it didn't say the monitor box contained all the cables so I bought a mDP one just in case, so I have one of them spare.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 pm 

After finding Scaled in display resolution I'm sorted, as far as I have gone. Case closed.

The display is clear enough for me to not have to keep changing my glasses from normal to reading. I have tried varifocal in the past but they did not suit. They made me feel sick, stopped me seeing the road ahead and dials below while driving and I couldn't move my head just a little without things going blurry. They are a good idea for those who can cope, I have no doubt.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:01 pm 

You bought a 4K monitor - so that you could scale it down! :o :)

What resolution are you running it at? It's bound to be a bit fuzzy if it's not at native resolution of course.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:42 pm 

3840x2160 at 60Hx. The menu bar was minute, Safari's tab tops were almost not there and other things like System Preferences were so small. Scaling still keeps that resolution, according to the monitor itself, and I can read stuff. Really sharp images when teeny-tiny and scaled a bit.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 pm 

That is native resolution isn't it? I thought you said you scaled it. If you choose any other resolution than native of course it will be fuzzy. And if you don't it will have tiny writing!

For the 24" Dell monitor (1920 x 1200) I use for TV and general use in the sitting room, it's scaled down to 1280 x 800. That's about the right size for its current job. I don't get HD TV, so it works well like that.

I remember a friend of mine once bought a 17 inch MacBook Pro, the high resolution model - and then complained because everything was too tiny.

Board index » Technical Help