Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:53 pm 

There is not a hint of fuzziness. Clear and crisp and no flicker. I don't get to pick a resolution in settings. I get the one where you pick a text size. I couldn't read it without a struggle on the default mac OS setting.

I did play a quick round of TF2. The screen was great but the poor old MBPr fans were blowing hard with the lid closed.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm 

While we are on about resolutions and stuff, how do users of 27" 5K iMacs cope with a menu bar of 1 or 2mm and Safari tabs even smaller?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:56 pm 

There should be a Mac OS option iOS-stylee to do pixel doubling for big monitors, perhaps.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:19 pm 

Scaling? ;) Or someone with an iMac will maybe chip in with what they do.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 am 

Does a retina screen always display using pixel doubling? Or what? Presumably it does but I don't know.

You say you are using Scaling "Scaling still keeps that resolution" but then you say everything is still sharp - so how do you do that? I know you can increase the size of fonts and scaled-down images etc. in Safari with ⌘+ but not every application has that option does it? And all the user interface stuff would stay tiny wouldn't it?

The easy way I know to increase the size of everything is to reduce the display resolution of the screen - but that by its nature uses interpolation and is going to make it a bit fuzzy, not the best outcome for sharp screen.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 am 

I don't know if this is any use - https://www.anandtech.com/show/7847/improving-the-state-of-4k-display-support-under-os-x

Quote:
The display preference pane now includes support for scaled resolutions just like on the rMBPs. The default in 10.9.3 is still the panel's native resolution, but you now have the option to choose 3200 x 1800, 2560 x 1440, 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720. All of these options are treated the same way that the rMBP's scaled resolutions are handled. In the case of the 2560 x 1440 setting, your display is rendered at 5120 x 2880 with text/UI elements drawn at 4x the size (2x in each dimension) and images/video in supported applications drawn at 1x size (1:1 pixel mapping). Once the frame is built, it's scaled down to fit the panel's 3840 x 2160 resolution - giving you a fairly sharp image. I suspect Apple is using their own filtering algorithms here as well in order to ensure maximum quality for the downscaled image.

Which may mean nothing in this context - it doesn't mean a lot to me :lol: All I know is that I have a clear and sharp image that is legible yet has acres* of desktop. It may also be irrelevant.

*Hyperbole.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 pm 

It has presumably changed quite a lot since Retina screens came in? In iOS you can zoom your screen without it going fuzzy. However, my 2011 iMac is much less sharp if I change resolution, or even zoom using Accessibility options.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Board index » Technical Help