Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 am 

My ISP is BT Infinity. I have a nearly new iMac, an iPhone 6 Plus and my wife has an iPad and an iPhone 6s on O2 but she is just out of contract.

We have recently opened a shop in a town about 2 miles from home in a situation where there are no BT Hotspots to make use of. The iMac stays at home but, obviously, the iPhones and iPad are portable.

We need to be able to access data online whilst we are at the shop. To date I have been using 3G but I am close to using up my data allowance.

Is there an inexpensive (or even free!) way to connect to the internet whilst we are in the shop?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 pm 

McDonald's?

Last edited by Leewave on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:14 pm 

Can you piggy back (legitimately) on someone else’s Wi-Fi nearby?
Virgin Mobile provide SIMs with 20Gb for £15 per month
Plusnet were doing 5Gb for £10 per month
Does the local library provide free Wi-Fi?
There’s an app which shows free Wi-Fi hotspots. Probably going to have to leave the shop though.
Vodaphone offer broadband for £25 per month (for an 18 month contract).
I’m out of ideas now.

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 pm 

Most banks have free WiFi. So does Tesco, ASDA and M&S. Obviously not good for in your shop though.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:19 pm 

If you have a telephone line in your shop, adding wifi to it shouldn't be very expensive. At least if you're not already on a contract.

Buy a bigger data allowance. Quite often 5 times the amount for only twice the money.

Or license a fibre-optic connection and re-broadcast it to all your neighbours and ask them to pay! If money is an issue. Terms and conditions may apply.

As you are on BT, don't you get access to BT FON connections? So get a high gain external wi-Fi antenna / dongle for your computer - so you can reach one. Dangle it out of the window, disguise it with a Union Jack.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:48 am 

Union flag ;) It is only Jack when on a ship :p

(I also mostly get it wrong.)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 am 

I knew you'd say that! I remember from last time. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 am 

Thank you everybody. I'm late in responding because for some reason I was not notified that there had been any replies! I'll probably go down the route of the wifi antenna to start with and then move on if necessary. Cost is a big issue present as I don't know how successful (or not) the shop will be. I don't have a landline in the shop and BT Hotspots are not appearing in my list of available networks at the shop location.

Last edited by Julian on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 am 

Is it possible to get an external wifi antenna for an iPhone as I don't plan on locating my iMac in the shop?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 am 

Julian wrote:
Thank you everybody. I'm late in responding because for some reason I was not notified that there had been any replies!

Could the reason be that you've not set it up in your User Control Panel for this forum?

Profile » account settings » email address
Board preferences » global settings + posting defaults… "Notify me upon replies by default"

Buy a secondhand ancient cheap Mac plus a wifi dongle and an high gain aerial. Re-broadcast the connection you get from the Mac's Wi-Fi around your shop.
I have one of these for sale (17"), as it happens :)

Approach the nearest BT FON neighbour and ask them if they wouldn't mind if you bought a better router for them and put it next to their window overlooking the street and your shop!

Approach the adjacent shop and ask them if they wouldn't mind you leeching off their connection.
Just gimme the password, dammit!

Get a bigger data allowance and/or turn off images and go to text only communication. :D :) ;)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:29 am 

Leewave wrote:
If you have a telephone line in your shop, adding wifi to it shouldn't be very expensive. At least if you're not already on a contract.

Buy a bigger data allowance. Quite often 5 times the amount for only twice the money.

Or license a fibre-optic connection and re-broadcast it to all your neighbours and ask them to pay! If money is an issue. Terms and conditions may apply.

As you are on BT, don't you get access to BT FON connections? So get a high gain external wi-Fi antenna / dongle for your computer - so you can reach one. Dangle it out of the window, disguise it with a Union Jack.

Amongst my "bits & pieces" I've found a device which is described on the body as an "802.11 b/g/n 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter". It has a USB plug one end and a screw in rotatable aerial on the other end. Would this do the trick?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 am 

Leewave wrote:
Julian wrote:
Thank you everybody. I'm late in responding because for some reason I was not notified that there had been any replies!

Could the reason be that you've not set it up in your User Control Panel for this forum?

Profile » account settings » email address
Board preferences » global settings + posting defaults… "Notify me upon replies by default"

Buy a secondhand ancient cheap Mac plus a wifi dongle and an high gain aerial. Re-broadcast the connection you get from the Mac's Wi-Fi around your shop.
I have one of these for sale (17"), as it happens :)

Approach the nearest BT FON neighbour and ask them if they wouldn't mind if you bought a better router for them and put it next to their window overlooking the street and your shop!

Approach the adjacent shop and ask them if they wouldn't mind you leeching off their connection.
Just gimme the password, dammit!

Get a bigger data allowance and/or turn off images and go to text only communication. :D :) ;)

Is the anglepoise mac still for sale? My wife loves them! If so what is the spec., would it do what I would need it to do in my shop, what is the condition and what would the cost be including shipping to postcode GL5 4PF please?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:12 pm 

Hi Julian, yes it is for sale but now it's starting with a black screen and three beeps! Which I think means bad memory. It used to be fine. I've sent you a PM and I will have a look at it and see what I can do. Talk later. David

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 pm 

Regarding my speculative suggestion about using a high-gain antenna and locking onto somebody else's Wi-Fi - that was slightly tongue in cheek! You would need to research if there was such a network that you could use and if it is practical to do as I suggest or not. You would also need to buy a network dongle for the antenna, and it would need to be compatible with Leopard and a G4 iMac.

Once you have a network connection in that way, you could re-distribute to your office locally using the internal airport card by making your own private wifi network.

So, all in all it's not exactly a great solution. I think the best solution is to get a cheap Telephone/Internet connection installed to your office. And having a telephone might come in handy sometimes!

However, I will see if I can get the iMac running again, if you're still interested in it for any other reason. It is a nice computer, it is in good condition physically, but it is an old computer (2003) - it has been superseded by the modern stuff you know. It is running Leopard 10.5.8 which is the highest system that it can run.

This is the model: Apple iMac G4/1.0 17-Inch (Flat Panel)

Serial number: W83111HVSD3

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:59 pm 

Thank you. I already own a year 2000 graphite original iMac whicjh I'm keeping for the sake of nostalgia! It has wi-fi.

Could I use that in my quest for connection?

Board index » Technical Help