Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

I have had the same ISP for years, and never have any problem with them. My hardware includes a modem from my ISP, and an Apple Airport Extreme base station. I turn these devices off each night.

What was usual before the problem arose: taking about 15 seconds to establish my LAN, and then about 30 seconds (45 seconds at most) in order to establish a connection to the Internet.

About 10 months ago, this issue began: upon turning on the modem/router, it started taking a bit of time in order to make the connection to the Internet. Establishing my local network still takes just a few seconds, but the time needed to connect to the Internet has been increasing dramatically. At first it was just one or two minutes longer, and now it takes about 10 minutes for me to be connected.

What actually seems to happen is that a connection is made, but just for one or two seconds; then it is dropped/lost. And this continues for all those many minutes, until the connection is finally made.
Once connected, however, my service is fine; my speed is good and I do not suffer dropouts.

I had them send me a new modem, but the installation of it did not accomplish anything.

I'm about to ask them to investigate, but before doing that, I would like to know if anyone sees a scenario in which this problem is at my end. I don't.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 pm 

Gail wrote:
My hardware includes a modem from my ISP, and an Apple Airport Extreme base station. I turn these devices off each night.

Why turn them off? Best left on imo. Who is the ISP?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm 

Leave your modem switched on and connected, they work better that way.

17" Macbookpro OS X 10.13.2
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 pm 

+1. I am afraid the problem is definitely at your end, but... the good news: so is the solution.

You MUST leave the modem (or router) switched ON all the time. It is (as is the Internet connection you have) designed to work that way.

What you are doing at present is causing your problems.

Leaving it on all the time will also (after a week or two) give you a faster Internet speed too.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 pm 

mooblie wrote:
+1. I am afraid the problem is definitely at your end, but... the good news: so is the solution.

You MUST leave the modem (or router) switched ON all the time. It is (as is the Internet connection you have) designed to work that way.

What you are doing at present is causing your problems.

Leaving it on all the time will also (after a week or two) give you a faster Internet speed too.

Well, I don't know about "MUST".
Again: for years, I have done as described. There was never a connection issue, never even a speed issue. My speed, even in these present circumstances, is at the rate paid for.

But I will consider the advice. And perhaps change my ways. Anyone else have trouble with change? :roll:
Thanks for the replies.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 pm 

I now leave my router on all the time. My only question is that since upgrading to Mavericks, the router's lights keep flashing even when the Mac is in Sleep; yet I always quit browsers and email before putting the thing to sleep. Could it be Dropbox checking for changes to sync?

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:00 pm 

Isn't that normal?
Isn't that the router sending out the "I am here" message every few seconds? I think that the state of the Mac is irrelevant.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:06 pm 

It didn't do it in Snow Leopard - and the Mac is asleep after all. If I shut down, surely then the router would stop?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:10 pm 

Surely?
There is surely one good way to find out!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 am 

@MacBiter

Last night I performed what will undoubtedly become known as the MacBiter Memorial Experiment.
I completely shut down every Internet device, but left my modem on. The modem's lights still flash with absolute precision every two seconds, with what I call the "I'm here" message.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 am 

Leave the modem and router on. They should not be turned off unless there is a problem to clear.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 am 

Gail wrote:
@MacBiter

Last night I performed what will undoubtedly become known as the MacBiter Memorial Experiment.
I completely shut down every Internet device, but left my modem on. The modem's lights still flash with absolute precision every two seconds, with what I call the "I'm here" message.

I hope not!

"I'm (still) here" :P

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 am 

Please note:
I wrote "what will undoubtedly become known as"

I don't know you or your intentions, but I'm guessing that your time will come. (I hope that your parents are not also reading this.) :P :D

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 pm 

Gail wrote:
I'm guessing that your time will come.

This time next year I'll be a millionaire :D

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm 

MacBiter wrote:
I now leave my router on all the time. My only question is that since upgrading to Mavericks, the router's lights keep flashing even when the Mac is in Sleep; yet I always quit browsers and email before putting the thing to sleep. Could it be Dropbox checking for changes to sync?

The routers lights are always blinking and flashing even when there's not much going on. Even the tiniest thing will cause it to blink and flash.

And like Gail says with nothing at all connected to it in any way, it will still probably blink just check the connection to home.

Solution: Masking tape. Or stop worrying.

And yes another vote for having the thing switched on all the time. Even if you can operate it by switching it off and on all the time - it's not designed to work that way. Doesn't use much power. Keep the connection live. Why switch it off? What advantage is there in switching it off?

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Board index » Technical Help