Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:36 am 

Hello

I have been allowed by the boss to purchase a new iMac Pro to replace my mid-2010 MacPro.

I deal with significant amounts of data as part of my PhD research meaning that I need a large amount of storage space. The iMac has 2TB of SSD but I wanted to have access to my HD/SSD drives from the old MacPro so was thinking an enclosure on USB-C would be an option. Am also thinking about backup options too.

If that makes sense, any recommendations of an enclosure please?

Many thanks.

Simon.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:46 am 
Site Admin

If you regularly deal with large amounts of data, how about a NAS (Network attached Storage)?
In that instance, I would recommend Synology.

I've just got one of these which is performing well enough for streaming 1080p video, but it is USB 3, I expect something like this would help. (Amazon links). It does RAID 1, 0 or JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks), so you can fling in the drives and they show up as separate drives on the Mac, pretty handy.

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 16GB RAM SSD/HDD Combo
Mac mini (Plex Server) ~ iPhone X ~ Livescribe 3
Apple TV 4 (64GB)

About.me/jcturner

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm 

jcturner wrote:
If you regularly deal with large amounts of data, how about a NAS (Network attached Storage)?
In that instance, I would recommend Synology.

I've just got one of these which is performing well enough for streaming 1080p video, but it is USB 3, I expect something like this would help. (Amazon links). It does RAID 1, 0 or JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks), so you can fling in the drives and they show up as separate drives on the Mac, pretty handy.

Thank you James. I'd be looking for a JBOD setup and am interested in the NAS option as it would appear to also allow me access across the internet to my own storage - like the cloud. Is that right?

Have looked at the Synology DS218J albeit I would need to get a cradle of some form for the 2.5" SSDs.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm 

You can access most NAS from the internet. Sometimes you need port forwarding on the router, depending on what services you open, like cloud, FTP, web and so on.

I have a QNAP NAS with four HDDs set as RAID5 for that little extra feeling of security (and yes, I know it isn't necessarily safe). I did have a drive start to fail but it is all hot-swap and had it rectified pdq. I'd not like to say whether QNAP. Synology, Netgear, WD or whoever makes the best as they all have a certain something. There are group tests about, sometimes in the likes of MacFormat and Macworld magazines. I'm sure you could search something of interest. Oh yeah, I have DDNS from QNAP as well (I don't know what other manufacturers provide), which may not be of interest. I also have a Mac mini with Server but I've never really expanded it's potential beyond Plex, but that might be worth being aware of, as you know the OS.

Board index » Technical Help