Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post subject: Installation issue
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 pm 

Some time ago, I upgraded my OS from Yosemite to Sierra. What I want to do now is to install Yosemite on a partition of my HD. So I added a partition to my internal HD, and then attached an external HD containing the Yosemite installer.

Upon double-clicking the Yosemite installer, I get this message:

I don't understand this. The installer "should" open, and ask on which volume I wish to install the OS. But the installer will not open.

There seems to be a connection between the current OS, Sierra, and the fact that I wish to install Yosemite. But I don't see why this connection is being made.
Why won't this installer open, and give me the option to install Yosemite on a volume of my choice?

I have attempted the same with another installer (El Capitan) with the same result/message.

The file structure of my Sierra disk is the same as a Yosemite disk, isn't it? The file structure changed in High Sierra, right?

Post subject: Re: Installation issue
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm 

A quick bit of googling suggests making a bootable version of the Yosemite installer.
There are some instructions here from Apple for Sierra that might work for Yosemite: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372
If that doesn't work there are plenty of other guides on the internet.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:21 pm 

Thank you.

With your info, I've just remembered DiskMaker X. If I'm correct that DiskMaker X will accomplish what i want, I'll use that method first. I think that the app is just a way to eliminate Terminal, and use a GUI instead.

Edit:
But DiskMaker X makes a bootable disk, and that's not what I want. Or...? I don't want to boot from such a disk, I simply want to install Yosemite on a partition.
Help, please.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:28 pm 

From a quick look at their website, it looks as though that will do the job.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm 

Yeah it's because you're trying to run the installer while running a later OS. That's why you need to make a bootable installer and then boot into it bypassing your currently installed OS altogether. DMX works well.

When do you do that you can install anything you like that the logic board/CPU is capable of handling.

It's just Apple being tiresome, they didn't have to prohibit it, but they do. Fortunately it's easy to work around. I think the Prohibition is on the assumption that you're going to try to install over your existing system and the installer is not designed to downgrade a system - but in fact you can instead install clean on a blank disk. That's not something Apple normally highlight as a possibility, but at least their installers can actually do that.

. . . . . .~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~

Once you have a new clean and fresh installation, you won't be able to automatically transfer all your data from a later system to it. You can't use Time Machine from a Sierra installation for example. And you can't use Setup Assistant to reference a later OS. But you can of course transfer documents and data directly to the appropriate places, you'll just have to forego personal system related info you may have built up, such as preferences etc.

If you want to share data between two systems so that any modification you make while booted into one system is shared and is the same data used for the second system - it is possible to do that for many types of data, but it's a bit more involved because you can't share the User Library from two different systems, only the data, and both systems would need to use the same short username.

You could share the Desktop, Documents, Pictures and Movies folders, but perhaps you don't want to do that anyway. It would mean you'd only have only one copy of the data which is kept current whichever system is using it. It's a bit more tricky to organise, but it is possible.

There is another kind of sharing possibility using the Shared folder. But I'm providing answers to questions you haven't asked :!: :roll:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 pm 

Done. Mission accomplished.
Thank you.

@Leewave
Correct: you have provided answers to questions that I haven't asked. Thank you for taking the time.
The only thing that I wanted to do I have done: install a copy of Yosemite on one of my Macs.

When I recently went over to Sierra, I mistakenly thought that an app was not working. It functions, so that non-issue has been resolved. But I thought that putting a copy of Yosemite on a disk that had plenty of room for it was worth the effort anyway. It's very possible that the Yosemite partition will never be used; Sierra runs fine.

Board index » Technical Help