Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am 

Got a 4TB portable drive to use mainly as backup for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), now running High Sierra. The plan is to format as two 2TB drives with one for Time Machine and the other for general use.

It came with an app called Discovery for Mac which, as far as I can make out from the info, is for finding and linking with other WD drives I might have. Anybody got one of these and found Discovery useful? Or can tell me I've got the wrong end of the stick, which is something I manage far too often... :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 am 

I know nothing about Discovery but I noticed that you are going to split the 4Tb into 2 x 2Tb for TM and general use.

The 'general use' partition - will you be backing this up to the Time Machine partition? If so, then if the drive fails, you have lost your files AND your back up of those files...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

For once, I was ahead of you - No, I won't be backing the partition into TM :D

But thanks for the nudge - there's no harm in getting a reminder ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:18 pm 

Great, it is something that is easily forgotten about so thought I would mention it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:20 pm 

I bought 2 of the 2 TB Passports, both died in matter of weeks, rives cannot be pulled & put in different case to try repair or recover. :(

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I bought 2 of the 2 TB Passports, both died in matter of weeks, rives cannot be pulled & put in different case to try repair or recover. :(

Not quite what I wanted to hear :shock:, but thank you! I'll just have to watch what I put on it. Might rethink my plans for this one, although it did come with a three-year warranty. But that never includes the contents, does it :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:09 pm 

WD are good at replacing drives under warranty, but best registered, in my experience, otherwise they just cover from date of manufacture rather than sale. Which reminds me, I've not registered my last few WDs. Ah well.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 am 

"Do I need Discovery?"

I shouldn't think so. Unless you've got lots of western digital drives that you want to connect to - but if you are just using them as plain drives - then why do you need it? More faffing and complication for no good advantage it seems to me. I have always wiped a new disk from the word go right back to its fundamentals. :D - don't need the dross that these guys want to foist on me.

Do I need Discovery?

Quote:
WD Discovery is a light weight desktop application for Mac and Windows that provides a cloud based method of delivering software, updates and notifications for external USB drives. WD Discovery can be manually installed on computers that do not have an internet connection like any other software application

So it's a desktop application? I thought it was something they put on the drive like the WD SmartWare backup software or WD Security & WD Drive Utilities they put on some drives.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 am 

I decided Discovery was not needed and have formatted the drive for Mac.

Thanks for the advice :tu:

Board index » Technical Help