Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:07 pm 

When I open up my MacBook it searches for a Wi-Fi station to log onto. The drop-down list from the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar usually shows between 6 and 10 Wi-Fi stations, 3 of which are mine, and all of which are locked.

I have two questions:

1). How can I delete the unwanted stations so they don't show in the drop-down list? If I go to System Preferences>Network>Network Name, the drop-down list doesn't show all the stations and although the right-click brings up a window requesting Password or Cancel, since I don't know anybody else's password I can't do anything with it except Cancel.

2). How can I tell my MacBook to log onto my 'best' station, and not any other? I'd have thought it should do this automatically, but this isn't the case.

Ideally, I'd like the Wi-Fi drop-down menu to only show my three stations and not those of my neighbours as well.

Thanks,

Lorimer

Incidentally, I've recently installed an excellent App called Wi-Fi Signal which resides in the menu bar and shows the strength, SNR etc of the signal I'm receiving – very neat and helpful.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm 

1) You can't. That is a list of all the Wi-fi networks available to you at the current time.
2) By what criteria do you define 'best'?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:13 pm 

You can put the wifi networks in order of preference so it will join your preferred network first.

Open System Preferences ▸ Network and click on the Wifi option on the left hand side. Then click on 'Advanced' and in the list which appears, click, hold and drag the networks into your preferred order. The MacBook will then join the network at the top of the list first, if that isn't available it tries to join the second etc etc.

You can also delete networks - but these are networks you have previously joined - so you won't be able to use them again until the password is re-entered.

The list in the drop down menu in the Menu Bar is a list of all networks in the current vicinity that the MacBook can see. You cannot delete these from the list and I don't know of any way to hide them from view.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:43 pm 

Jonah,

Excellent information – thank you.

Anndra,

My criteria is simply signal strength. I really would expect my MBA to log onto the strongest signal rather than a much weaker one, but it doesn't always.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 pm 

lorimer wrote:
Jonah,

Excellent information – thank you.

Anndra,

My criteria is simply signal strength. I really would expect my MBA to log onto the strongest signal rather than a much weaker one, but it doesn't always.

Lorimer

I think there are too many variables for that. The strongest signal is not necessarily the fastest network, and signal strength can vary from moment to moment 'cos of reasons that probably have something to do with astrology or something...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 am 

Signal strength has nothing to do with speed! But Jonah's advice about putting the networks in order of preference and deleting those you don't need is very useful. You don't necessarily have to delete those you don't use, they won't get in the way, they'll just be at the bottom of the list. And all that happens if you delete them - is that next time you want to connect to them you'll have to provide the password again.

You could be connected rocksolid to a really ratty slow router but have a tenuous connection to somewhere else that actually provides a high-speed connection - and as long as the signal stays within usability boundaries, that may knock the socks off the slower network.

The Fan symbol in the menu bar just indicates which networks it can see at the moment. It doesn't necessarily list them in any particular preferential order.

Rosemount is actually a very weak signal - it's next door's, and is through two external brick walls - the other two are 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels which are 10 foot away by line of sight through wooden floorboards, both coming from my local router and both very strong.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 am 

You only have a partial solution I'm afraid. Even if you were to put your three networks at the top of the list as advised, it will try to join the top one first, even if - at that moment - the third one has a much stronger signal.

Computers are programmed to join 'known' 'previously joined' networks, rather than 'strongest' wifi signal, which might indeed be your neighbour's.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 am 

MacBiter wrote:
Computers are programmed to join 'known' 'previously joined' networks, rather than 'strongest' wifi signal, which might indeed be your neighbour's.

... or a fake or spoofed hotspot in a café, pub, yadder yadder.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:37 pm 

This conversation well shows how flippin' complicated computers are. Thank you for your varied advice.

Moving on from Signal Strength, it appears to me that SNR (Signal to Noise ratio) may be pretty important too. The neat Wi-Fi Signal App shows at the moment for instance, that I have a 'Good' signal of 68%, but pretty awful SNR of 28db (should be at least 45), but my MBA seems to be coping OK.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7vbojiqeel13 ... 5.png?dl=0 (sorry, Dropbox doesn't appear to provide me with an Img – I'm sure it used to).

Lorimer

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:13 pm 

There's a few free utilities for investigating wifi. I have two - iStumbler and NetSpot (easy to find with a simple search). They have their pros and cons but I tend to use the latter, which does ask you upgrade but otherwise is fine. If anyone knows of a better one, I'd be interested.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm 

lorimer wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7vbojiqeel13vy/Screen%20Shot%202018-01-25%20at%2017.24.35.png?dl=0 (sorry, Dropbox doesn't appear to provide me with an Img – I'm sure it used to).

Yes dropbox changed it a year or so ago. Now "all you have to do" :? :| is edit the link that you have posted above change dl=0 and replace it with raw=1

Then select the link and press the image button - it will add image tags. That works. Like this.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 pm 

Clever! Thank you. I'm sure I didn't know this, and it sounds quite straightforward and easier than my previous method.

Thanks,

Lorimer

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:24 pm 

Yes, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth by many of the Dropbox user fraternity, after Dropbox insisted on changing everything, they've published this little explanation of how to get the result you want. There are three options now for the query parameter suffix.

Force a file or folder to download, or to render on dropbox.com

dl=0 this is the default type of link, it takes you to the Dropbox website where you can view the image or movie there, there are advantages for certain files to view on their website.

dl=1 this will force the file to be downloaded to your computer and depending on where your downloads go to, it would normally end up in the Downloads folder.

raw=1 this suffix causes the link be treated as a direct link, and can be rendered in a browser. In other words, the same as it used to be previously, enabling you to add image tags to display directly in a web browser.

See also: How to directly link or embed Dropbox images

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 am 

Easier to use https://postimages.org in my opinion.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:23 am 

Guess so, if it's free and easy.

And if they don't take their website down in the future - leaving you without any images showing - a RPITA if you have a lot of them and care about lots of dead images ImageImagelittering the forum.

If you don't, then I guess no problem.

Board index » Technical Help