Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 am 

Postimages is fine as long you understand and accept their T&Cs. I'd not want to post any of my personal photos there and grant them perpetual use. I expect that is there to allow them to actually display them but reads stronger than that. No problem for screenshots and such.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm 

Screenshots are exactly what I use them for.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 pm 

An article on this very subject: https://www.appleworld.today/blog/2018/ ... igh-sierra

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 am 

I took the plunge and my 3rd bid on eBay was successful – a 2nd-hand 2Tb Airport Express Time Capsule for £112 which is a definite improvement on £299.

It works fine, but is not as big an improvement over my Time Capsule as I'd hoped:

I'm wondering if I'm going along the wrong path by creating a separate network (Lorimer Burn's WiFi Network). Might it not be better to use the Time Capsule as an 'Extender' (what's the right name?) to the Virgin 2g and 5g signals I've already got from my Virgin hub. I have a 20-metre ethernet cable connecting my hub to the Time Capsule (down the stairs to a hallway).

How would I do this?

Thanks,

Lorimer

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 pm 

I wouldn't use it as an extender. I'd use it as a separate network - as you already have it set up. I think that would be more reliable but then you end up with two networks. Extending a network with extra nodes has surely got to reduce overall network speed. I'd connect by ethernet for speed but an independent wifi from the virgin router could be a better and more direct setup, although I have no experience of using this equipment together like that anyway! But that's the way I would think about it at least until further info said otherwise.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:16 am 

VM SuperHubs are not that great at wifi range. I have mine set to modem-only mode and then run my own router to do the real networking job. I get a decent range on 2.4GHz and 5GHz throughout the house. By running long Ethernet cables and using switches, anything that can use Ethernet does for stability and speed purposes. It suits me but may not suit others.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:36 pm 

Lorimer, what problems are you having? You say this one is not much of an improvement on the previous one but it's got a bigger hard disk hasn't it, I thought perhaps space may be an issue, but is it connection problems that are your main bugbear (per thread)? What is the main trouble you're having? Time Machine backups while roaming a long way from the Time Capsule?

Have you considered reducing the number of backups taken, from every hour to perhaps twice a day or once a day? Hourly backups are Apple's default but if you're not so concerned about a lot of access to multiple previous drafts, then fewer TM backups might be an option.

I just backup once a day at 11 PM, automatically over my house wifi network to a directly attached hard drive which is shared from my Mac Mini. Both the Mini (directly) and MacBook Pro (by wifi) share this same Time Machine backup. Each have their own subfolder. I set the timing of each backup to be at a different part of the 24 hours cycle so that they don't both try to access it at the same time - which would be okay-ish - but would slow things down and give the hard disk a hard time.

Multiple document drafts can be taken care of using the Save As... function anyway.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:01 pm 

Leewave, Thanks for your request for clarification.

My concern is as partly suggested by the title ..."best Wi-Fi transmission". Time machine back-up is fine. My Time Capsule was 2Tb too.

My frustration is the slow loading of pages, sometimes waiting 4 or 5 seconds before the loading progress bar even begins to move. However, this is somewhat intermittent; performance can be brilliant (almost instantaneous) or snail-like.

I was hoping to achieve a signal strength of at least 60% and SNR better than 40 Db (both values described as excellent & desirable) but the figures are usually more like signal strength 64-ish (OK) but SNR 20 - 30Db.

If I connect to the virgin hub via an ethernet cable, I get the advertised Virgin speed of 107 mbps (7 mbps for free!), but only 47mbps (at the moment) at my workstation via Wi-Fi. So the difference lies with my Wi-Fi. My workstation is in a room off the hallway where the Airport Express Time Capsule is, and only about 10' away. The signal does have to travel through a partition wall but surely that cannot have much effect. However, it is the same speed (42mbps) right next to the A.E.T.Capsule.

It is frustrating that one is paying for (& receiving) a good 100mbps signal but losing so much as a result of the Wi-Fi.

Hope that makes it clearer,

Thanks,

Lorimer

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 pm 

Ah well, see, we're in a different league. I have a 7 Mb Internet connection and I'm quite happy with that. Getting 42 Mb per second between one device and another on the Wi-Fi I consider is very good!, Wi-Fi speeds are always difficult to optimise, they are always going to be pretty flaky, it's just the nature of the beast. I guess you might be dissatisfied if you just want absolute speed. But absolute speed to me doesn't count for much, I just need to see the work done and I'm quite happy if it takes 10 seconds to do something when it could take eight - I'm not bothered, I'm not watching the clock on that, or timing it when it finished.

It seems you're comparing fibre speeds to Wi-Fi speeds (I assume you are on an optical connection), if so, there is no comparison! They are totally different kettles of fish!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm 

I just checked my speed using the Ookla speedtest app on my iPad. It claims 220 Mbps down and 12.5 Mbps up, which is near as dang it the same as Ethernet on my MBPr. That was on 5GHz band with signal at -72 and noise -90. I'm on VM's 200 service but not using the SHub.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 pm 

Leewave, you make me feel guilty. But regardless of absolute speed available, it is the principle of why Wi-Fi should perform so very much worse than fibre.

Then Loughor joins the conversation and makes us all feel inadequate! I would love to know what the difference is between my Wi-Fi set up and Lougher's – it just goes to show that Wi-Fi can perform well.

Thanks for those contributions...

Lorimer

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:52 pm 

Just to chuck a spanner in the works...

iPad connected to an Airport Express 75mb down
iPhone connected to Virgin Superhub 110mb down

WiFi is a black art.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:05 pm 

:D I'm not showing off - 200 costs more than 100 but I do stream Prime, Netflix and Plex so I like to have a high d/l speed.

I have a TP-Link Archer C3150 (b/g/n/ac) router doing the work with the SH in modem only mode. It is basically default except for port forwarding and so on. My house is old and has 18" thick stone walls but internal walls are nothing special. The router is right in the front but I inhabit the back, so it is maybe 20' away. Nothing special there. There are only a few detectable wifi spots from neighbours and their signals are weak and don't overlap my channels, which I moved to avoid the possibility.

Apart from that, I've not done anything worthy of mention. Just the one wifi network so no clashes internally.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 pm 

lorimer wrote:
My frustration is the slow loading of pages, sometimes waiting 4 or 5 seconds before the loading progress bar even begins to move. However, this is somewhat intermittent; performance can be brilliant (almost instantaneous) or snail-like.

I also get that on some webpages quite often. Others can be very slick and snappy, even on my paltry 7 Mb connection. Plus many times webpages load just like that, but what is the problem is modern websites with lots of graphics and lots of substructure to the HTML code. What with advertising that is pasted in and movies the autoplay when you don't want them to, all of this plus the big huge images, they all add up to extra load - but the slowness may not just be due to volume of data, the slowness maybe also due to the far-end server not serving the stuff to you fast enough. You may be in a queue of users and the file server may be dealing with 1 million other people first.

And I have an Internet connection infinitely slower than yours - but these pauses and glitches don't seem to be related to the Wi-Fi. I think they're related to the other end, the server that you're getting the data from, or that the Internet in between your connection and the destination is thinking.

I don't think these pauses and slowness can be related to Wi-Fi speed. I think that's the wrong analysis. There are many links in the chain between you and them. Delays and pauses are the accumulation of everything that happens to the data, one after the other. You have a serial connection, not a parallel connection to the universe, even if the Internet Universe has multiple parallel internal connections, your connection to an individual destination is serial at each end, and as a result can have delays, which affects everybody equally, however good their Wi-Fi is.

To check this connect your Mac by ethernet cable to the router and run it like that for a while - turn the Wi-Fi off. Then see over the course of time if you notice much difference. I bet you'll still get the glitches and pauses just as often as before.

So when you said you've got this new Time Capsule from eBay, and you said it was 2 TB, I assumed that meant that your previous one was 1 TB and you were upgrading to a bigger size because you needed the space. You didn't say that, but that's what I surmised.

If your previous one was also 2 TB, why did you swap them? To try to get a better Wi-Fi connection? And did you achieve that? Or were there any other benefits of swapping it.

The home Wi-Fi speed can be more accurately gauged when you're dealing with data that you're serving from another computer on your own internal network. Once you include the outside world you're opening Pandora's box, and any number of reasons for a slow connection. It only takes one part of the link to be slow or have a glitch for it to affect the overall result. Just one thing can stall the system all by itself.

Quote:
it is the principle of why Wi-Fi should perform so very much worse than fibre.

There is no such principle! Fibre broadband and air breathing Wi-Fi are different creatures! Not even barely remotely related. They both deal in bits and bytes, that's about as much as they have in common!

Last edited by Leewave on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:35 pm 

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test). 
Click OK.

Board index » Technical Help