Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm 

Seems you’re sorted, but in case anyone else comes on here looking to widen the range in their house, we went for the Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ extenders.

The design of the current one is different in appearance but spec is similar (from John Lewis site. The master plug sits behind the iMac (or will when that comes back from the repairer!) with ethernet connection to the BT Hub, and pushes the signal through the house wiring. The other two units sit behind smart TVs in other rooms providing ethernet links, but the plugs also provide wifi. It means we can move the MBP, iPad, etc and they will pick up the best signal.

Sitting in the living room now, with the MBP using the Devolo wifi link, Speedtest shows 42Mbps down and 10 up. The iMac, using an ethernet link to the hub, generally gives about 50 and 12, so I reckon that's pretty good.

Our devices are marked as being designed and made in Germany - can’t speak about the later ones - and we have had them for about four years. Unlike the cheaper Chinese ones we bought before swapping them for the Devolos which “just worked” if you’ll excuse me nicking that slogan.

And if I'm completely :off: please excuse my ignorance :D

Board index » Technical Help