Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post subject: Lost music - iTunes
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 am 

I have just upgraded to iTunes 10.6.3, I didn't mean to! I had various windows open and clicked on agree to iTunes.

Now I have no access to my original music only stuff through the cloud.I am working in the stone age with OS 10.6.8, iTunes 9.0.2

Is there anyway to revert back. I have tried time machine but get the sarcastic quote "the file cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Whatever happened to 'it just works' ?.

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

uniondesign l photos of stuff l me

Post subject: Re: Lost music - iTunes
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:54 am 

Yes there is a way. iTunes library should keep the previous library.itl file in a folder marked previous iTunes library versions or something like that - you just delete the latest one and replace and rename the saved backup. Replace the new one and restart the previous version of iTunes. Be careful not to restart a new version of iTunes again otherwise it will do the same thing again. And ring-fence your backup.

Failing all of that your music is still there, you could import the whole lot into a new library using the old iTunes version - you'll just lose all your playlists etc, after generating a brand-new library and importing music again. But you shouldn't have to do that if you replace the itl file.

Don't panic. It can be done.

Try this

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm 

Is there any particular reason why you stick with iTunes 9 over iTunes 10? Mind you, I've stuck with iTunes 10, but that's because the massive "up"grade was with iTunes 11. I hadn't remembered there was a huge difference between iTunes 9 and 10.

However, if you really do prefer iTunes 9, good luck with reverting, following Dave's excellent advice.

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am 

I have no aversion to v10, just still having no luck reloading my music collection (:

Tony Benn

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:06 pm 

If you don't mind losing your playlists and organisation that you had, it's easy to import all the actual music that you have into a new iTunes library. Use "Add to Library" ⌘O, select the entire old iTunes Library - it will read all the music inside it, copy it over and organise it into Artists and Albums by it's metadata correctly in the new Library.

I'm using iTunes 10.6.3, and the new and 'improved' Grey sidebar - I have changed to Colour again! (there is a way). I'm refusing to go beyond 10.6.3.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm 

I am now on v 11.4, all my song and playlists are listed. Now I just need to locate the original files !

Done, back in action, thanks all for your pointers.

Tony Benn

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:22 pm 

Can't you right click on a song and choose 'Show in Finder' to find out where they are.

PS I've not read all the thread so I may be talking rubbish.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:07 am 

You say you've done it and it's okay now, but for info's sake, when you are adding new music to an iTunes library you just need to select a folder which contains music you're interested in. Everything within will be copied across to the new library when you choose to add music in this way. It doesn't matter how complex the folder structure is within an iTunes library or any other bunches of folders, because iTunes scans everything within to find all the music. It looks at the metadata tags and constructs a new iTunes library with all that music copied over and neatly placed in the appropriate folders, artists, albums. I guess you've already done that though, by what you said.

But not sure what you've actually done since you say you still retain your playlists et cetera. However nice to hear that you've got it sorted.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:36 am 

I tried the changing suffix to old etc but couldn't get it to function.

In the end I just copied all the folders in my backed up ' music/itunes' folder and replaced the files in the latest folder.

To my surprise everything worked, play lists complete, happy days.

Tony Benn

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:41 pm 

Great, but any changes you made between the time of your previous backup and when you replaced it, will be lost. Hopefully not too many changes.

Board index » Technical Help