[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Battery drain after update to iOS 10?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 pm 

Recently back from travels.
Didn't do updates to iOS that I was nagged about whilst in Japan, not a good idea.

Now, before updating, I decided to check suggestions for what to do prior to an update (This is our first iPhone, and only the second update we'll be doing)
This looked good:
https://www.gottabemobile.com/10-things ... -ios-10-3/
The obvious being backup to computer and BU to iCloud. Done that.

Then I came across a series of warnings about battery drain for 10.3.2 and I saw pages and pages on it on Apple discussions:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/79 ... 0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/79 ... 0&tstart=0

How have you all done with the update? Any issues?

I noticed battery wasn't as long-lasting when I switched from 9 to 10. Can 10.2.1 to 10.3.2 be worse?

bte iPhone worked like a charm while on the road. Especially Google translate & maps, and when one of our cameras died when we were on a day-trip hours away from the hotel and our spare cameras, the iPhone camera filled the gap.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 am 

I wouldn't worry about it. My iPhone 6 has been updated regularly and no problems. Yes I see a few people complain but then a patch appears to fix it. You can save battery use by closing things that you don't need. I bet Google Translate and Maps were constantly on the go checking your location and so on. Check in Settings what is able to run/update/locate in the background.

I'd hook the iPhone up to a Mac, backup in iTunes and then update iOS and not fret about it going wrong.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

After major iOS updates, the device can be re-indexing and sorting it self out for a number of hours.
Battery life should settle down after a few days and be back to normal for the device.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:07 pm 

Ah yes, didn't 10.3 bring APFS which was sorted on the fly?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:41 pm 

Thanks for the encouraging words. I should know by now that the complaints I see on Apple discussion site are often from folks who like to complain or don't know what they are doing or how to do it. But many of these sounded real, and from old hands at using the phone.

One thing I noted yesterday: I had charged the phone to 100% - didn’t use it at all for a full 30+ hours, but it was on and in standby mode.

In that 30 hours and 18 minutes of time, the battery percentage went from 100% to 68%.
That’s about 1% per hour of doing nothing.
Does that sound right?

I had/have the phone set with location services OFF for everything (I can't remeber about find my phone, but I think I left if on for that, I certainly should have) except maps and then for maps only when in use (rarely). Translation yes uses battery, and used when traveling but I monitored use, not really that much.
Background checking for updates and automatic updates etc turned OFF.

Basically I’ve already ditched a lot of things that make a smart phone smart, because I don’t need them.

I valued the phone most (believe it or not) on that day my camera died and I took sakura photos with it on a remote site far from our spare cameras. I was constantly aware of the battery then worried that it might give out before we finished shooting. Mr H had one of the big cameras so we were covered.

Before I do the update (I am still on 10.2.1) - which I will do over the weekend - I think it might be a good idea to turn it off and on - I haven’t done so in a while.

I have Back-upped to iTunes and iCloud.

iCloud took a long time since I hadn’t done it whilst traveling, and the phone now showed 3GB of stuff to be backed up to iCloud, whereas before we left it was 500MB. I can’t imagine what’s taking up all that space. I don’t have that many apps and they aren’t that big. I don't use most at home, but they are there for Japan. Music and photos aren’t backed up to iCloud, and I set it so photos and videos in iMessages aren’t backed up.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm 

You can see what is using the space in Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage and Manage Storage under Storage. It will list space used by apps and their data. I suspect you already knew that.

My iPhone 6 was 100% this morning and is now 94%. 10 hours. It has Mail and Messages going on as well as keeping contact with the Watch but that's about all.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Battery usage depends on so many things and settings.
If you have a poor mobile signal, the continuous searching for the network will really drain the battery, particularly if looking for a 3G data network.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:01 pm 

My advice is to stop fretting about battery usage, it's not a Nokia 5110 but a computer with a phone attached. If the battery gets low, charge it. Buy an external battery pack so if it runs low when you are out you will still be able to charge and use it.

Switch back on all the things that make it a smart phone and use it as a smart phone not a dumb phone. There is no point in having a state of the art phone/computer and not use most the things that make it so brilliant.

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's a truly brilliant piece of technology which needs using properly.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:23 am 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 am 

We have all fretted over battery life at some point but it's far easier not to!

The iPhone is never "doing nothing" unless it's completely turned off.

Connect it to wifi and it will still check emails and other apps which give you notifications. Siri will still be listening if you are using it. Things still run in the background even if you never touch the iPhone. And it has to use battery to be switched on.

Use it and enjoy it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:29 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:34 pm 

Yep reboot it if you want. It won't do it any harm. Mine is on 19 days uptime at the moment. It'll get rebooted soon.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

Just a quick update.
I did the 10.3.2 update and - mirabile dictu - battery is working so much better than at 10.2.1

I assume the phone kept all the former settings so it is running the same things it was before the update. I haven't checked I'm just assuming (always iffy) that the phone kept things as they were before.

The drain whilst it is just sitting there doing its thing (you convinced me it never does nothing) - I checked after the update - 42 hours of sitting there - down 8% to 92% charge.
Before the update doing the same sitting there for 30 hours, down 32% to 68% (as I mentioned above)

Terrific.

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:44 pm