[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Apple slow "older" iPhones
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:20 am 

People in America will sue over anything. This may have legs though.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

Im quite sure that Apple could add some software that would/could tell you that your battery may/might be causing your device to slow. For the tech savvy who would know how to get a battery checked to see if it was at EOL it's not so much of a problem.
But to blatantly slow it down without letting people know is very underhanded. With technology as advance as it is do they not realise that they have made most people technology savvy, and understand a lot more than they obviously think.
Rant over I've my two penn'orth.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 am 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 am 

A message from Apple.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Good statement from Apple, but the damage is done on the PR front.
The iOS update showing battery condition sounds interesting though.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 am 

Something for Samsung and Google to get their teeth into in their next round of advertising.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:14 pm 

Some of the latest Samsung Notes, if the battery goes to 0%, won't turn on again after charge.

What with that and the previous pocket fire-starters, I doubt Samsung will have anything dismissive to say.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 pm 

The reason for this post is in the URL. Might be worth a look.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 am 

It isn't happening on old iPads, etc.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 pm 

Thought I would let you know that I had a two year old battery replaced in my 6s Plus despite it being in good health and at 80% of original capacity by and it's made a massive difference to battery life.

I would highly recommend doing this especially as Mac Fixer only charges £25 for it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 am 

about my iPhone 5s battery going flat even though it was switched off. Apparently with the iOS I'm on it wasn't actually switched off, it was still doing stuff and flattening the battery. So now I've discovered the low power mode indicated by the orange battery symbol instead of green. And now! When I switch it off - it is off and the battery doesn't go flat! How good is that?

Now when pressing the power button to put it into snooze mode - it actually now does snooze and it stops guzzling the battery. Huzzah!

And it's fast enough for my purposes like this; but still it was very bad not to be informed that one's battery could go flat while it was "switched off", on the current System.

It's crazy that the phone could flatten the battery when it was switched off!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:53 am 

Batteries do lose charge even when things are switched off. Happens with all of them.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:19 pm 

Yes they do but they only go down a percentage or two at a time, my phone was going completely flat after checking it, two days after switching it off. That was a terrible situation which shouldn't have been allowed to occur, surely?

But also there were other times when it didn't seem to go flat after switching off - and I have no idea what the difference was, or have any way of knowing whether or not next time I switch it on it will be flat - or it will be 75% full! Who could know?

Now I have put it on low power mode, and when it's switched off, it seems to be switched off. Previously it was totally unreliable and I could quite often turn it on to find a flat battery warning and then having to charge it up again - which is totally bad for the battery, and totally out of order for Apple to allow that situation to happen. If it was discharging the battery, surely Apple should've stopped it at a 20% or something and not let it get completely flat. And if they were going to let it discharge the battery, there should've been some warning somewhere, shouldn't there? My previous iPhone didn't discharge like that.

I've no idea what services it was running in the background when the screen was black and it was supposed to be off, but now I have turned everything off; Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, everything and put it on low power mode.

But you couldn't check whether or not there was anything running without switching it on again and it taking a minute to switch on, and no way of knowing what the battery state actually is until it has booted! A bit daft really. - So when the screen is black and you think it's off, surely you expect it to be off - don't you?

Apple should have a tiny light to inform you of battery state when you press a button.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 am 

You need a new battery. £25 from

It will make a massive difference.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:32 am 

Will it? Since my battery capacity is 89% at the moment I think having the battery replaced is the solution to a different problem. It's always good to work out what the problem actually is before solving it.

The battery is still fine - what is not fine is a phone which drains the battery without telling you.

Image...Image
...3 Feb 2018..........................................29 Sept 2017

I have the phone set to Low Power Mode now and it's (Finally) behaving as I expect it to.
It doesn't throw these curveballs at me anymore. Thank God. Apple need to sort out their software.

Now this may be a problem that needs fixing!

The screen is cracked but it's taped up and still working. I will replace it at some stage but it's low on my priority list at the moment.

Last edited by Leewave on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS