[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPhene 4 on 3(three)?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

What should I do?
Get iPhone 4 on 02 (pay monthly) 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Get iPhone 4 on 3 (pay monthly) 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Get iPhone 4 SIM free from  for mucho £££s and stay on SIMplicity 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Post subject: iPhene 4 on 3(three)?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm 

Helloooooo!

I've had an original iPhone coming up for 3 years now and it's been fantastic. I've had it unlocked on O2 simplicity which I've been very happy with during this time. The thing is it's been getting really slow and un-responsive recently and the battery life is very poor. I got a cheap replacement battery off ebay last week and swapped it over, but due to some trickiness in the process I damage what I can only assume was part of the aerial structure as now I get no reception unless I am pretty much in line of site with a mobile mast.

So, iPhone 4 replacement beckons as the obvious solution 8-) however, O2s deals are not very appealing, particularly as I am happy paying £20/month for my dedicated 'iPhone' monthly rolling SIMplicity contract.

When compared to 3's offerings I just can't see any reason not to switch to 3, except that I've heard lots of bad things about them with regards to customer support and treatment etc etc.

Is anyone on here with 3? any comments?

the £30/month (x24 months) 3 contract offers more for your money, plus it's only £189 for the 32GB phone as opposed to £299 for O2's £30 contract which offers less.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:35 pm 

My niece* has just got an iPhone 4 but she has moved from 3 back to Orange as she said that the 3 network was "rubbish" (her words). She didn't clarify why it was rubbish but she did have some sort of smart phone.

*she is 28 so not a kid even though her reason is very teenager-ish :)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:00 pm 

I wonder if it was the reception that was rubbish or the interaction with the company?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm 

I shall try and find out for you.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:29 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:54 am 

Just asked my niece why she left 3. I asked if it was crappy signal and she replied "my phone was faulty and they wouldn't do anything about it and yeah, the signal was rubbish"

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:04 am 

hmmmm. Well if the phone is faulty I think it can be taken direct to apple. As for signal, well that's another matter. It seems a few years back 3 used the O2 network in areas that 3G wasn't available, but it seems they have since switched to orange, which is pants in my area.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:32 am 

I had no end of trouble with the 3 network. Terrible customer service, very spotty network, dropped calls. This was never with an iphone but with a few different Samsung and Nokia phones. When I finally got to the end of the contract it was hell to get the MAC code. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the lovely overseas call centre trying to get the damn code out of them. They kept arguing with me!
I will never touch 3 again.

2011 Mac mini, Mac OS X Lion ... The "new iPad" (iPad 3) ... 4th Gen iPod Touch ... iPhone 4S ... Ubuntu 11.10 ... Windows 7

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:10 am 

well, I am able to get a £125 rebate only on O2 through a friend. Seing as the phone is £110 cheaper on 3 I think I'm going to go for the O2 £30/month contract

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:51 pm 

my son had a 3 sim in his iphone 3g and never had any problems with them. If you stay in a city or big town, then you should not have any problems, but if you stay in the country you might have problems.

The internet was a lot faster with 3 IIRC.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am 

I believe if you buy an iPhone 4 handset direct from say, Apple and use your current £20 per month O2 simplicity sim, it saves you £200 compared to upgrading with O2 over a new £40 18 month contract. Obviously buying a 'phone' for £500/£600 is a major drawback. I think the above is correct.

EDIT: as for the '3' network, I was with them 5 years ago living in Cornwall (where reception is traditionally dicey for all networks in certain areas) and I did not have any problems, that said, my best friend is currently with 3 and is having no end of troubles with their network, he won't leave them because he is on such a good rate.

 Apple TV (3rd Generation)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:20 pm 

3 were fine when they shared the O2 network, but when they changed to Orange as a back up the signal disappeared in my area.

I'm with Vodafone now, and I must say that they're network performance has been great (much better than O2 or 3 was - even in towns), plus they also do the Sure Signal which sorts out reception at home if need be. Perfect for us folks in rural areas !

Andy

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS