[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPad shopping......
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iPad shopping......
 Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:48 pm 

I'm 99% sure I'll be ordering an iPad2 over the next 7 - 10 days but what should I get with it / for it? AppleCare is a must have (having a small child who knows how to navigate iOS, it'd be stupid not to) but what else? do I need a case/cover? what about a stylus or a stand?.... *COUGH*woodpad*COUGH* maybe a keyboard (I have a wireless keyboard for the imac will that work if its ever required)?

I'll need an app that can read and edit excel docs is Office2 HD a good choice?

Post subject: Re: iPad shopping......
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:26 am 

You will need:

1. Some sort of case. Apple SmartCover is very good, but it doesn't protect the back of the iPad. Having said that the back of the iPad 2 does seem very robust and mine doesn't have any scratches yet. I also highly recommend the InCase Magazine Jacket for iPad2, which is similar to the SmartCover but with a back to it. Best case on the market in my opinion.

2. You also need a Woodpad - that goes without saying! :D I use mine a lot - fantastic for use in the living room or for charging iPad.

3. You won't need a stylus unless you are doing some sort of drawing work on the iPad.

4. Yes your wireless keyboard will work with iPad2.

5. No idea about Excel I'm afraid as I don't use it.

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Documents2Go is very good for creating/editing office documents without needing to convert either way. Works very well with Dropbox.

WoodPad is a must is you plan to use a keyboard (new website coming soon). ;)

I also use the Apple BT keyboard, but I think it only pairs with one device at a time.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:20 am 

I went with a SmartCover for the front and a Smartshell for the rear. Means the back is fully protected from scratching, doesn't affect the look and fits perfectly.

A stand is very handy and a Woodpad stand is one of the best. I moaned at the weekend that none of the active charging stands I had could accommodate my iPad2 with it's rear cover but Woodpad managed perfectly.

Hardware wise you really won't need anything else.

@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:58 am 

Thanks. that cool bananas thig looks like it might be just the ticket.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:23 pm 

Cases, cases everywhere...

The only thing I would have if I had an iPad is a slip case for putting it in after use. I prefer to use things as Sir Steve intended - naked!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 am 

does a wireless keyboard work with ipad1?

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:30 am 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:14 pm 

I dont think an iPad will be on my sofa any time soon. theyre all out of stock! Ive found a shop which has a delivery on thursday but their waiting list is 86 people long! I can go on the list for the white 64Gb wifi and will 'likely get one' if I pay a deposit of £100. Only problem is they wont take deposits over the phone and I can't get into store till saturday! :(

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:46 pm 

I had the same problem of no local availability so I just ordered one online from Apple. They always stock their own channels before resellers so I got my iPad as fast as any other method.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm 

I ordered as I had no success with stock on the stores. Also meant I was able to spec the free laser engraving.

Only fly in the ointment is the Foxconn fire, not sure if that has/is affecting the pipeline.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 pm 

If Apple are advertising 1-2 weeks before dispatch does that mean 2 weeks or do they like to prepare you for the worst and exceed expectations by delivering it in under a week?

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm 

In my experience they are more often pessimistic in their delivery forecasts. So if they say 1-2 weeks, 2 weeks is the worst case scenario.

I ordered mine a week after launch and was quoted 4-6weeks but it was delivered in 21 days.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:10 pm 

I think I'll wait till saturday, and if I cant get one, I'll just have to order from Apple.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am 

Placed an order for a 64Gb White iPad2 through the ACSC that recently repaired my mbp as they've got some on order which are due in the next week or two. They've got a list of about 90 people waiting for this delivery but only 5 of that list have paid a deposit so I'm guaranteed to get my iPad from this shipment.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS