[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPhone 4 upgrade to iOS4.1
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:50 pm 

Thought I'd post a recent experience in case anybody has a similar problem and it helps them.

I finally got round to upgrading my iPhone to 4.1 last night.

I backed the phone up, downloaded the software and hit the update button. I had several instances of a message which basically said that iTunes couldn't contact the software update server to verify the download. The upgrade therefor came to a grinding halt before it had even started!

I left it a while and tried again. Eventually success seemed to arrive and the update started to install. All seemed well until the very end when iTunes had to contact a server again to verify the upgrade. At this point the wheels fell off and the update failed. I was presented with a message informing me of a "3004 Error" and an iPhone in recovery mode that was essentially a brick and that wouldn't restore from my backup. Every time I tried to restore the phone I got the original server issue message.

After two hours of searching Google for a resolution, unsuccessfully, I was stumped as to what to do about it. As a last resort I decided to run Onyx, with all automated tasks ticked, and restart the Mac.

I couldn't say what the problem was, or how Onyx fixed it, but I was able to Restore/update my iPhone on the first attempt.

Last night was a very late/long night. :(

27" iMac 2.93 GHz i7 12Gb Ram 10.7|15" MBP 2.66 GHz 4Gb Ram 10.8|1Tb Time Capsule|3rd Gen 1080 ATV|2nd Gen 720 ATV
64Gb WiFi iPad2|iPhone 5 32Gb|iPhone 4S 16Gb|iPod Touch 32Gb|VM 100Mb BB

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 pm 

I cringed when I read your post!

I was updating my iPhone to iOS 4.1 while reading this fourm. After downloading and installing the software I got this

And, the iPhone was displaying the "connect to iTunes" window.

I disconnected the iPhone and restarted the computer. Upon relaunching iTunes and connecting the iPhone, iTunes said the iPhone's software was up to date, but it needed to be set up.

I followed the instructions I found here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Basically I did what it says about half way down in number 8, which was to do a restore from a backup.

When I was looking at troubleshooting tips, one of them was to restart the computer. since Onyx also wants us to restart, it looks like a restart is what fixes the problem.

Nancy

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:09 pm 

I did wonder Nancy. But equally, at the time, I wondered whether it was a permissions issue that Onyx had fixed.

It's very odd when you have these little issues having never had any problems before, and then you find out a simple restart is the answer.

27" iMac 2.93 GHz i7 12Gb Ram 10.7|15" MBP 2.66 GHz 4Gb Ram 10.8|1Tb Time Capsule|3rd Gen 1080 ATV|2nd Gen 720 ATV

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 pm 

On a separate but sort of related note I have been having niggles with the iTunes Store when downloading Apps on my iPhone. I've been getting an "Unable to Purchase" message but then the App downloads ok after a short pause.

I do wonder if all these problems are related to the iTunes Store rather than our iPhones.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:01 pm 

Nothing to worry about.

Download "RecBoot", and use the Exit Recovery Mode app to boot the iPhone out of Recovery Mode (which that error is) and into iTunes to sync.

Handy program to have, and you restored again when you didn't need to.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:11 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm 

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS