Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm 

Hi guys.

Just recently, my iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 has been a little 'scatty'. The camera hasn't been saving photos if you press the home button too quickly after taking a picture (it's a force of habit when taking a quick snap, but it's never done it before....), or just saving the standard def and not the HDR. I also noticed it's performance could be a little sluggish, the 'lock' sound happening after the screen had been off a few seconds, juddery scrolling or folder closing. There was just under 1GB of free space, so I didn't think it should be a memory problem. So, I bit the bullet, done a backup and restored the iPhone.

So far, so good. One thing I did notice though was the amount iTunes was displaying now as free space on the iPhone. It went to over 3GB, from just under 1GB. I checked the photo's, both those synced from iPhoto and one on the camera roll, all the music, all the apps. Everything was just the same as before. So for some reason, nearly 2GB of space had been free'd up from doing a restore. Strange.

At the moment, everything seems to be ok (touchwood), with the exception of one thing. I de-select 'Techno (live)' playlist. If I de-select the playlist, the Photo size at the bottom goes to 1GB from 0.91GB, so de-selecting the playlist increases the space the photo's take. Why is this? How can deselecting a playlist increase the photo space used? Also, look at the relevance of the free space. I have more free space on the iPhone when the playlist is on there... :? See the images (not too good at wording this, it's late!):

De-selected 'Techno (live)' playlist = increased photo size:

Selected 'Techno (live)' playlist = decreased photo size:

Any ideas anybody? Yes, the playlist does have album artwork that I downloaded, but surely thats embedded into the MP3 file? And why could there be more space on the iPhone when the playlist is on there, than when it's not??

What do you guys think?

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS