[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPad3G - Best PAYG SIM?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iPad3G - Best PAYG SIM?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:37 pm 

Any suggestions?

I'v been using a GiffGaff SIM cut down to fit. GiffGaff don't officially permit iPad's but I only ever use it occasionally on the GSM network and I can't see them complaining unless I kicked the behind out of it and used a heap of data.

Although they're O2, they have no FUP hard limit if you use a GoodyBag with data, so £10 gets you unlimited data for 30days.

But, in the event they do decide to block iPad's (O2 seem to be doing that no on non-iPad PAYG SIMs) I need a fallback.

Tempted to give three a go.

@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 pm 

Most of the carriers plans seem the same but I chose to stick with O2 as I have had no problems with my iPhone. I have only used the sim once when up in London and where I live it's only GPRS signal so I don't even bother as it's just too slow to use away from home.

Are you a heavy data user?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:39 pm 

I had no idea how much data I'd use on my Ipad. Since I only use 100-200MB/month on my iPhone, I got a '3' sim in my iPad. I paid £20 for 3gig of data which lasts 3 months.

So far, in around 3 weeks, I have sent 949k and received 7.2MB so it looks as though I will run out of time far before data.

24" iMac Core2Duo 2.8GHz, 15" Powerbook G4, iPhone4 32GB, iPad 3G 32GB, iPod 3rd Gen 40GB, iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 pm 

I'm still using my T Mobile PAYG data simcard, but my iPad isn't a 3G one. I use the simcard with an unlocked 3 MiFi linked to the iPad. I like the T Mobile PAYG as you only pay £2 a day or £7 a week for unlimited data, whichever you prefer, and nothing at all if you don't use it.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:42 am 

Carrie, do miss any functionality in using it that way such as the gps?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 am 

I've been using a Three SIM in my iPad for almost a month and I'm nowhere near using up all the data - probably because it locks into WiFi at home and at friends' houses. I'm such a light mobile data user, I've switched to the pay-as-you-go Orange option: 5p per MB capped at £40 a month and £10 credit on your account to get you started. http://shop.orange.co.uk/ipad/ipad-choose-your-plan

I'd stick with Three top-up if they didn't put a time limit on using data.

Also, I recently found out that you have to put separate credit onto your account for roaming (although God knows how - 3's website doesn't say) - leaving me unable to use the web in Dublin even though I had £10 credit.

PS: A shame T-Mobile don't have any iPad plans. I know of someone who uses T-Mobile on his iPad though; just cut up his Mobile Broadband SIM.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:41 am 

I hadn't realised the Three PAYG lasted 3mths? That alone will make it ideal for me. I'm not a heavy user and my usage varies depending on how many Press events I have to cover.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:57 am 

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:01 am 

Nope, no GPS in the non 3G iPADS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:05 am 

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 am 

24" iMac Core2Duo 2.8GHz, 15" Powerbook G4, iPhone4 32GB, iPad 3G 32GB, iPod 3rd Gen 40GB, iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:18 am 

I guess it all boils down to how often you use it away from home (or somewhere else where you have WiFi access) and what you use it for.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 am 

Cool, I've already got a MiFi on Three PAYG. Wonder if I can cut down that SIM to use in the iPad and use it in an adapter in the MiFi?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:01 pm 

I went 3G because I needed the GPS function and didn't want the faff of using with my MiFi. I use the 3G side only rarely though so had the base model been fitted with GPS I might have been happy to go with that.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS