[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Synching New iPhone From Previous iPhone's Backup
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:03 pm 

My wife will be getting a new iPhone in the next couple of days. How do I sync her new one so that it gets all the information from the last backup of her old iPhone?

When I did it with my new iPhone it didn't seem to work as I didn't get all the App data transferred.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm 

I seem to remember it being fairly simple. Just plug the new iPhone into the computer and follow the instructions. I think iTunes will recognise that this is a new phone and ask if you want to sync with it. Not sure if this helps much but I remember it being very simple when changed from iPhone 3 to 4.

iPad
iPhone6

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 pm 

Does this help?...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 am 

Thanks. That sounds pretty much as I did it last time, but I didn't get the maps that I had with CityMap and Memory Map on the new phone. It took ages to download them again.

Hopefully better luck this time.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 pm 

Just a thought – the l-o-o-o-o-ng-awaited iPhone 5 will be available to buy later this month (24th Sep or so?). Your wife might not be an 'early adopter' and so not be interested in this latest incarnation of the iPhone, but at the least, iPhone 4 and 4s will be available at significantly less cost.
Also, if she's on contract, it's really worthwhile spending a little more up front – for instance, go for an 18-month contract (if you can find it) rather than the ubiquitous 24-month; the annual cost will be far less.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 pm 

When I got the 4S was cheaper for me to get a 24 month contract than it was to buy outright and get a cheaper contract.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm 

Thanks, Lorimer. It's a reconditioned 3GS. We are both on PAYG so wouldn't think of getting a new one.

The phone arrived this morning. Did the Restore from Backup, but again, none of the maps that were on the old phone came across to the new one. So it'll be a few hours downloading them again.

Any ideas why they don't get transferred? Are they not backed up to the computer during a Sync? If not, why not?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm 

When I got my 4S I synced my 3GS first to make sure my back-up was up-to-date, then attached my 4S and used 'restore from backup' to get everything onto it. This process worked perfectly for me.

When your iPhone is attached are there any settings telling iTunes not to sync certain things to it? There are different menus where you can exclude certain things, for example, I have everything synced to my iPhone, but only music synced to my iPod touch. Maybe your iPhone is set not to accept apps, or even just certain apps. You can be very specific as to what is synched and what isn't.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 am 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:22 am 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm 

@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 pm 

£32 a month

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:54 pm 

16Gb?

@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:15 pm 

Nope 32GB.