[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Got an apple watch today
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:18 am 

Since I installed O.S. 7.0.1 on my Watch Series 4, I find that battery drain is huge – at least 10% per hour. I used to find that I'd have something like 50% battery left went I went to bed in the evening, but now I usually see it at about 2:00 pm.

I'm guessing that no-one else has found this problem or I would have read about it. Are there any suggestions as to how I can see programme battery usage for the watch, like on my phone?

Thanks,

Lorimer

P.S. In a couple of weeks it won't matter because I should have the Series 6, and the problem will then be Apple's (except the phone will of course have been wiped).

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am 

Best thing to do is reboot the Watch. Sometimes it helps with things like this

But yes the Series 6 will have a better battery life.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 am 

Sorry, I should have said... I've done that.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:50 am 

I can't help but my series 4 with 7.0.1 still sips at the battery. it is 92% after four hours and will probably be 60-70% when I put it on the charge stand tonight. Maybe there is an app or setting that is causing a problem. Check app settings via the iPhone for things like background app refresh, or on the Watch, handwashing.

Maybe it is just one of those upgrade hiccups that a few people get hit with that a Watch 6 will fix.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:19 am 

I read an article that a few people who upped their iPhones and Watch to 14 and 7 were having massive battery drain issues. It seems Apple recommends factory resetting the hardware to 'fix' it.

I'm glad I've not been affected this time though I do routinely have all the iCloud backups in place.

Source:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:52 am 

Battery life on my Series 5 Watch actually seems improved since the move to WatchOS7. As for the iPhone X, the maximum capacity is now 84% so it's not so great any more.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am 

Thanks for that info Loughor. In my case, my iPhone XR battery is fine on iOS 14.0, and all Health apps work OK too. It's just my Series 5 watch. It actually made it to my bedtime yesterday (10:00 pm) with 17% left. It would normally have been 40 - 50%. But as I've said before, it doesn't matter because a new watch arriving next week should sort the problem.

Incidentally, I do a monthly encrypted back-up to my MBP once a month as well as the regular iCloud backup. I like belts and braces, especially for something as important as my digital life on my phone.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:12 am 

WatchOS 7.0.2 was ready for me this morning. Amongst other things, it claims to address the battery drain issue.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 pm 

For my part, I'm done with smart watches. I used to have one before but with the smartphone, I think it's double . Now the screen of my Iphone7 is multifunctional.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:58 am 

I think my house has shrunk. My Watch 4 now misses a significant number of staircase ascents. Not a majority, but not just the odd one. It isn't a metric I take note of so I'm not overly bothered but, well, it used to catch them all (Pokémon style). It must be Apple's way of telling me to buy a new one. :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:33 pm 

I used my annual Winter Fuel Payment and trade-in to swap my 4 for a 6 (44mm). It arrived today.

I was annoyed to find that restoring from backup wasn't straightforward. There were only three backups to choose from - one in 2015, one in 2016 and one in 1018. So much for watches being backed up with the iPhone and again when un-paired. Ah well. Nothing that time and tinkering didn't correct. I had to restart the phone and watch a couple of times to get over some hiccups. Nothing just works.

Anyway, I do have oxygen in my blood. I turned off the always-on screen: it showed the time when it went dim, not the actual time, which made it feel like a battery drain rather than benefit. The screen also dims more than the old one in low light but I guess I'll get used to that. I'm waiting for the whatever the 4 gets returned in to be delivered.

In conclusion, new toys are great.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:50 pm 

Loughor,

I'm sorry you had some hiccups. My Restore was seamless. I've got the aluminium 40mm and use it with my previous steel link strap.

The main reason I went for the 6 (skipping the 5) was the 'Always On' screen. I see that as its greatest benefit. I will still have about 50% battery left when I go to bed so battery drain is not a consideration. My greatest disappointment is the O2 measurement which rarely gives a reading; it might be because I'm old and scrawny these days, although I would have thought that the lack of any personal significant insulation would make it easier to read my vitals.

I got £135 for my 4 (Apple had predicted £140). But what I didn't realise is this comes in the form of a voucher which is all very well, but I don't see myself buying any more Apple stuff in the foreseeable future, so it's just lying there in an email which will probably be out of date in five years time or so.

Anyway, the watch is nearly perfect and I've today updated watch and phone to OS 7.2 and iOS 14.3 to get access to Fitness+ although I'm not sure I'm fit enough to even dare try most of their offerings!

Lorimer

P.S. I don't know if you're into wireless charging, but I recently bought a charger for £16 and it's marvellous! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1 (sorry, I've just seen it's unavailable now).

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:28 pm 

My refund for trade-in email says "Once your trade-in has been received within the appropriate time frame and in the stated condition, we’ll refund your payment method". I assume Apple Pay (back to Visa Debit). A voucher would be un acceptable.

The O2 thing isn't very good for me either. Maybe I wear it too tight but it is either this strap hole or it flops about and loses contact.

As to the always on aspect, I don't see the need. If I look at it, it comes on. I'd rather that than see the wrong time out of the corner of my eye but I can always try it again sometime. It is probably better with a digital watch and several complications. I have a California face as my primary selection with timer and activity complications. Digital watches are not for me. I'm handsy (but not in the 70s/80s BBC employee manner).

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:11 pm 

I turned Always On off pretty much straight away on my Series 5, it didn’t seem to be a benefit.

Trade-in allowance goes back to the original purchase method unless you use credit terms. Then it gets knocked off the price but you have to provide a payment method to be charged if you don’t return the trade-in device or it’s not worth as much as originally stated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS