[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Got an apple watch today
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm 

I was looking at screen protectors. The film-types look like they have shortcomings and I'm not clipping a plastic cover on. You can't believe most Amazon reviews. Off topic - I see that AirPods Max are one star. The reviewers all say "too expensive" - which I agree with - but they haven't seen, touched or used the items, so it is not a review at all. Anyway, that aside was because I was commenting on Amazon reviews and please don't start talking about headphones in this thread.

Screen protectors - does anyone use one?

(I just posted the 4 off so I'll see how long that takes to get devalued from the initial offer.)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm 

I've had about four years of Apple Watch use (1, 4 & 6) and have never had a scratch on any of the three. Similarly with my iPhone XR. It does live in a plastic case but no screen protection. I do carry it in a belt holster though.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:15 am 

I hadn't heard about my rebate so I checked the trade-in status link in the sales email. "Our trade-in partner has inspected your device and has confirmed your trade-in value. Your trade-in will be completed soon, and there’s nothing more that you need to do". Good to know I didn't BS the condition of the Watch. I would probably have asked for it back otherwise. I'd still like some protection on this one while it is shiny as I'm bound to give it a trivial scuff sometime.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 pm 

^ Apple refunded my bank account today. The system works.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:19 am 

Aah, interesting. I'll have to see if I can get Apple to change their credit note (which I didn't ask for) to a repayment.

Thanks,

Lorimer

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 pm 

I just thought I'd comment on my Watch 6. I've had it for four months and so far, it has hardly uses the battery. I wear it for about 17 hours a day and charge overnight but it only drops by about 20%. The 4 used 50 - 60% in a comparable period.

I did get a screen protector just after my post above. One of those clip over ones. The screen works perfectly and it has already taken a few potentially scratching knocks. The downside is that the crown can be a bit iffy at times as it is overlapped a little and it detracts from the overall looks. Still, I can clip on/off as required.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:59 pm 

Thinking I might upgrade my 2016 Apple watch with the new one thats due this year. Any thoughts welcome

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:13 pm 

Hi Neil,

I've had the Apple Watch 6 for the last year or more (my 3rd Apple Watch starting with series one).

I'm not sure which watch you're referring to as the "2016" watch, but I suspect it's not the Series 6. My impression is that the changes are not sufficient to justify a new purchase. My Series 6 is perfect and does everything I could possibly want. Apple's latest presentation (available on Apple.com of course), gives detailed info on the Series 7, so you can make your own mind up.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:21 pm 

Hi. 2016 saw the release of series 1 and 2 if Wikipedia is truthful. I started with a 2 then went 4 and now 6. I'd say it will be worth getting a later model, if only to keep it in OS support. For me, the 44mm size is good, but then I have old eyes.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:06 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:11 pm 

WatchOS 8. Is it just me who thinks the graphics have been "fattened up"? The numerals on the Watch face (California - square) are now much bigger and fatter so less subtle. On the iPhone Face Gallery, it still looks as before. The activity ring screen is the same: they are also now fat. That screen also fast scrolls. It used to be dampened. I've already complained about the Timer app. The new way it works does not suit how I use it. These issues are not caused by an altered setting like Zoom in Accessibility. There is always something I can find about which to complain. I wonder if I find something good to say about a recent change?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:20 pm 

I'm still on 7.6.2 on my watch. It appears that I cannot update any further until I've updated my phone from 14.8 to 15. But I don't think I'm in any hurry to do that anyway. So I'll wait awhile.

What's the change to the Timer? I use that quite a lot and see no need for change.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 pm 

In 7, Timer has presets of 1 3 5 10 15 30 60 120 minutes then underneath three 'slots' for the last used timers - say, 20 25 45.

In 8, Timer ha the same presets but the last used appear at the top. 20 25 and 45 are what I use alongside the presets.

With 7 they stay there. With 8 they get displaced if I use a preset. If i then use some presets, my 20 25 45 fall out and I have to re-set a custom timer. Or tell Siri to do it.

It is a niggle. It is like some Media Studies kid has done it their way. We all know Media Studies is a waste of time and just for losers but a cash-cow for the "universities". Well I feel it even if we don't all know it :D

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 pm 

Yes, these niggles definitely get under the skin.

I nearly always use Siri to set a Timer, so this doesn't affect me – except when Siri isn't listening (Grrrr!).

The other thing that really frustrates me is that Siri will start a Timer/Stopwatch/Alarm, but when it eventually goes off, is not interested and won't stop it. I've got to physically reach my watch to do that which might be inside a glove or my hands covered in flour (bread making!) or soil (gardening!). Otherwise, the alarm continues to ring until the battery is flat (I suppose). I think this is a very poor design fault.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:11 pm 

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS